Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy low residuals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes i if i was a personal purchase owner i would be slightly burnt by the crazy residuals on a tesla, its worse than BMW or Audi, other than there M or RS range repsrectiely.

I guess all the signs were there, i.e a highly mass produced car that is working on massive margins with minimum options, means they will thousands of cars with the same spec out there used which makes selling them much harder when the second hand EV market demand isnt there

Yes i if i was a personal purchase owner i would be slightly burnt by the crazy residuals on a tesla, its worse than BMW or Audi, other than there M or RS range repsrectiely.

I guess all the signs were there, i.e a highly mass produced car that is working on massive margins with minimum options, means they will thousands of cars with the same spec out there used which makes selling them much harder when the second hand EV market demand isnt there
I think the plan was that the second had demand would be there.
something like 20% of new car sales are currently BEV's but only 5% of used cars for sale so if the demand in the used market was even half the rate of new sales used demand would be massively out stripping supply.
Sadly the used buyers are not playing ball. I mean if someone with no off street parking who could not charge at work asked me if they should buy a BEV right now I would be hard pressed to think of a good justification
but
I bet there are a huge number of people with off street parking who rarely travel out of range who could be fueling their cars for under 3p per mile on the likes of Octopus Go but don't even realise because they keep hearing in the tabloids that EV's now cost more to fuel than petrol based on reporting of 60p+ kwh rapid rates that they will, in reality, only have pay a couple of times a year for a part of a long journey.

I think the plan was that the second had demand would be there.
something like 20% of new car sales are currently BEV's but only 5% of used cars for sale so if the demand in the used market was even half the rate of new sales used demand would be massively out stripping supply.
Sadly the used buyers are not playing ball. I mean if someone with no off street parking who could not charge at work asked me if they should buy a BEV right now I would be hard pressed to think of a good justification
but
I bet there are a huge number of people with off street parking who rarely travel out of range who could be fueling their cars for under 3p per mile on the likes of Octopus Go but don't even realise because they keep hearing in the tabloids that EV's now cost more to fuel than petrol based on reporting of 60p+ kwh rapid rates that they will, in reality, only have pay a couple of times a year for a part of a long journey.
replying to my own post! sad I know but today right on cue. This is the kind of Sh1t that puts people off

Hands up everyone who has 30 payment apps? what no one? but it says it in the daily Mail so it must be true!

Last edited:
Reactions: MrT3
Hands up everyone who has 30 payment apps?

I've got Polar, or some name like that (now BP??). Rocked up in Bristol, parked in a multi-storey and found it had chargers - amazing (I'm talking 2016 ...)

So I phoned them, arranged to start membership, put down the required "deposit" (which was probably £20 ... maybe more) and ... failed to charge. From memory I didn't have a Type-2 - maybe Tesla didn't come with them then? I had the provided adapter with a bag full of 13-Amp, Big and Small Commando and so on and naively thought that would work for anything. But ... being a Member entitled me to use ("Activate") their 13AMP socket (for free as I recollect it) which I remained plugged into for the 36 hours I was there and had pretty much full charge by the time I left. Used it a couple more times when in Bristol. Have never used it since, and probably have a £20 balance on my account.

By the time I'd sorted all that out I was 30 minutes late for my meeting

Bought membership of Ecotricity - 'coz they were everywhere, albeit slow and often broken, and assuming I'd need it one day. That day came (years later) I couldn't remember the APP password and had no access to email for a "refresher". Support was very helpful and said I could just login as "Guest" (presumably at Guest kWh rate, rather than member rate ...). Typing in all the credit card details (which it would not remember) every time I tried again to charge was a pain ... but I did get a charge. Only time I've used that, so probably £20 still sitting on that.

Then I bought ESB membership, 'coz we were going on a tour of Ireland. Yup, had to put £20 on that too ... Got to Ireland and couldn't get a single one of their sites to work ... but luckily we found freebie chargers at the hotels and Tesla obligingly opened a new Supercharger just where we needed it and opened it on the day we needed it. I ought to ask them for my £20 back ...

30 payment apps?

Nope. I've got 3. All used about once ... but they must be making a fortune out of the punter deposits they hold

This prepay bollocks and ‘loading money’ onto apps to charge has to stop. Stick a contactless pad on them all for payment. They shouldn’t all need your personal details via an app. Public charging is a disaster and not getting better soon.

As @MrT3 said. Yes
Around 50% of all new car sales in the UK are to business's and, unlike private buyers, the employees who run them get a massive tax break for buying them so naturally they buy them at a higher rate new than the public at large.

So essentially the Model 3 is now the 320d :).

I guess we all know how the diesel saga turned out, I think there is still a chance EVs could end up the same. But for our purposes having owned an EV as our main family car since 2015 I'm not particularly bothered about any future changes.

So essentially the Model 3 is now the 320d :).

I guess we all know how the diesel saga turned out, I think there is still a chance EVs could end up the same. But for our purposes having owned an EV as our main family car since 2015 I'm not particularly bothered about any future changes.
Don't know what you mean? According to the comments section of the Daily Mail Diesels are great. They do 6 million miles on a single tank. And last forever. Most people seem to plan to hold on to theirs until the govt prys the keys from their cold dead fingers.

I bet there are a huge number of people with off street parking who rarely travel out of range who could be fueling their cars for under 3p per mile on the likes of Octopus Go
Without V2H, many 2nd hand buyers don't do enough miles to justify the present cost of 2nd hand EVs. Maintenance cost of EVs are still an issue as small local garages don't yet have the skills/experience.

Reactions: Durzel and Jason71
This prepay bollocks and ‘loading money’ onto apps to charge has to stop. Stick a contactless pad on them all for payment. They shouldn’t all need your personal details via an app. Public charging is a disaster and not getting better soon.
And it’s not just the UK. I was in Norway a year ago and despite there being chargers everywhere from multiple brands, I ended up being limited to Tesla because of difficulties paying. Here is a typical example:

- Plug in To a 250kW charger. Try waving contactless card at the reader. Nothing happens - it’s an RFID reader for a membership scheme.

- Read instructions. I can pay by scanning a QR code which takes me to a payment page where I can enter my card details. Trouble is, it also wants my phone number and it won’t accept numbers with +44 prefixes.

- Read instructions again. I can pay by my phone bill. But Norway mobiles only.

- Read instructions again. I can do an instant membership sign up with a payment integrator - but it wants a Norway phone NR and address.

- Unplug and feed the nearest Tesla SuC details into the Sat Nav.

And it’s not just the UK. I was in Norway a year ago and despite there being chargers everywhere from multiple brands, I ended up being limited to Tesla because of difficulties paying. Here is a typical example:

- Plug in To a 250kW charger. Try waving contactless card at the reader. Nothing happens - it’s an RFID reader for a membership scheme.

- Read instructions. I can pay by scanning a QR code which takes me to a payment page where I can enter my card details. Trouble is, it also wants my phone number and it won’t accept numbers with +44 prefixes.

- Read instructions again. I can pay by my phone bill. But Norway mobiles only.

- Read instructions again. I can do an instant membership sign up with a payment integrator - but it wants a Norway phone NR and address.

- Unplug and feed the nearest Tesla SuC details into the Sat Nav.
Now, with Electroverse RFID you have a support on a lot different networks.. life should be easier..

Reactions: Utumno