Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash midrange upgrade - what size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering upgrading the Infinity Kappa 20MX mids I have in the dash right now, but I'm not sure what the dimensions are of the openings or the spacing of the screws. A stock midrange would give me a good idea of what to expect without pulling the dash pad off. I'm also curious how close the dash pad sits to the driver itself. Some of the mids I'm looking at have integrated grills that sit about half an inch above the driver itself.

I've done a bunch so far:

Infinity Kappa 3-way components in stock front locations
Infinity Kappa coaxials in rear
Audison AP8.9 bit amp/DSP
NVX BOOST 10" sub + amp

The system sounds very good, but I am already looking for other upgrades. I am leaning towards a more expensive midrange - either Focal, Kappa Perfect, Hertz, or maybe a raw driver from Parts Express. I think a 3" will fit in the stock location, though I may need to drill new holes.

Took the dash pad off (mostly) today in order to fit a pair of Kappa Perfect 300m midranges in the stock dash locations. They're about 4mm too large to fit. :( It is difficult to get my calipers in there, but I'd wager the opening is about 75mm. For depth, there is an angled piece of factory sound damping material to the front of the car that intrudes on depth. This should not be a problem for a driver with a tapered basket, but for one with a deep built in enclosure, it may prove to be a problem.

Attachments

• 20200222_095627.jpg
    20200222_095627.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200222_095704.jpg
    20200222_095704.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 42