Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam and collision warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all - recently I had an incident when my dashcam despite being in “auto” mode failed to record the event nor I had collision warning which we never came up. This happened on a mini roundabout when the 3rd party didn’t give way and hit my front passenger side. Any thoughts ?

I have a Model Y and Tesla support have been useless pretty much giving the same generic and frustrating response to check auto mode, save videos and check USB drive for any missing video on the display and I have done all these.

Unfortunately auto doesn’t = save clips of what you want it to.
Always hit the save button, or honk if you’ve activated the save on honk setting, or pull the USB drive and manually grab the clip before it gets overwritten.
Thanks, will check “Save on honk” setting. Hitting the save button at that instant will work only if the dash cam had recorded it, isn’t it ?

Thanks, will check “Save on honk” setting. Hitting the save button at that instant will work only if the dash cam had recorded it, isn’t it ?
If your USB stick/drive is working, the camera is always recording while driving. Check that you have the small red circle in the corner of the camera icon, not a red cross. The constant recording only keeps the most recent one hour of video. If you manually save a clip by either pressing the camera button or honking, it will save the last 10 minutes (I think it's 10) into a separate folder named with the current date and time. Anything not manually saved will be overwritten after an hour.

Reactions: gana4u and boombap
It’s always recording, but it overwrites recorded footage after about an hour so you need to press save. It occasionally has a glitch and may miss a few seconds of a video here and there, but other than that it’s pretty reliable if you hit save to keep the last few minutes of footage.

Reactions: Skavatar and gana4u