Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam for under $80 and looks great!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone, I was trying to get a dash cam in the X without spending over 200 + and have it professionally install with even more money. I came up with a solution for under $80. Video of the finish result coming soon on Youtube.

Here is how I did it.

Parts needed:

Black Box B40 A118 ($54.21 Newegg)
15FT USB to Mini 5 Pin Cable ($7.95 Amazon)
16GB Micros SD Card ($6.99 Newegg)

Misc Material:

Thin 3m double sided tape, very thin!
Scissors
xacto blade ( for cutting the double sided tape)
star bit driver ( removing the step on the door)
flat head driver for wedging open the gap

Step:

1. Run the 5 USB 5 pin end from the corner of the door to the windshield where the main conduit is.
2. Pull all the cable as needed all the way to the Auto pilot camera. (just enough connect to the dash cam.
3. Assemble camera and but the double sided tape on the dash cam, and place it on either left or right side of the auto pilot camera, right under the auto pilot camera itself. (but stuck to the camera not the windshield)
4. Use the double sided tape and cut very thin strip no larger then 1/8" and place the tape on left or right side of the original conduit.
5. Peel the protector of the tape off and place the usb cable flush along the side of the conduit, all the way up to the back of the windshield.
6. Now carefully run the cable on the top side of head liner all the to the b Pillar, to where the interior FWD switch is.
7. From here you need to carefully remove the floor step in the center of the bottom of the door. Then remove the star screw that is hold the B pillar cover in place, once you do this you can now pry open the second half of the b Pillar cover.
8. Run the USB cable on the Inside of the cover and out to the floor, tuck the cable under the floor mat,
9. Close up everything and connect the USB cable to the center USB port in the second roll seat.

So far it looks great and I can used anytime I want by plugin it in. If not in used I just disconnect it and hide the cable under the floor mat. I'll video the result this evening and will have a link posted on youtube.

They key here was to get a dash cam install, looking good, easy to install, no messy wiring. and Under $80
Let me know what you guys think?
Any question?

Here are the photos! And the video showing the final result. I did this with the intention of keeping cost low and super easy to do it yourself! Most importantly I did not want to remove or mess with the original camera conduit.

Attachments

• IMG_3830.JPG
    IMG_3830.JPG
    333.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3832.JPG
    IMG_3832.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3833.JPG
    IMG_3833.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3835.JPG
    IMG_3835.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Yes, this camera has a built in battery for motion detection recording, If the car is on then it's recording. just like any other dash cam.

I notice as soon as I unlock the X I hear the camera turn on, and as long as I'm sitting in the car, it's recording.