Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DashCam wont work, '23 Y LR wont accept Samsung T7 SSD, keeps asking to format drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a new Samsung T& SSD because it was highly rated, recommended online for Model Y dashcam, and it's currently on sale at Costco.
Installed and re-installed, reformatted and re-refromated many many times. Wont work. Returned it thinking its defective, and bought another one.
Same deal. Insert, format, says sucessfull, but doesn't work and repeatedly says drive needs to be formatted.

I had the same experience with a t7 shield 2 TB i cant help but think they pull too much current or dont like USB 2.0 I have swapped it out for a T5 500gb SSD that i had and no issues had my T7 replaced same issue. But no issues with my PC and iPad Pro etc.

I ended up accepting defeat mostly as Apple Music came to the car and now i can stream my library…i still have my 2TB full of music just in case and can hook up In my center console (tpart ports installed)

Upvote 0
I had the same experience with a t7 shield 2 TB i cant help but think they pull too much current or dont like USB 2.0 I have swapped it out for a T5 500gb SSD that i had and no issues had my T7 replaced same issue. But no issues with my PC and iPad Pro etc.

I ended up accepting defeat mostly as Apple Music came to the car and now i can stream my library…i still have my 2TB full of music just in case and can hook up In my center console (tpart ports installed)
Thanks! I thought it was just me (or the car).

Upvote 0
I purchased a new Samsung T& SSD because it was highly rated, recommended online for Model Y dashcam, and it's currently on sale at Costco.
Installed and re-installed, reformatted and re-refromated many many times. Wont work. Returned it thinking its defective, and bought another one.
Same deal. Insert, format, says sucessfull, but doesn't work and repeatedly says drive needs to be formatted.
My Samsung T7 Touch SSD works fine for a few months now both on my Model 3 & Model Y. You just need to make sure the drive is properly for formatted.

Upvote 0
where is it plugged in? i have a samsung t5 1gb in the glovebox of my y
Mine is 2 tb i will be playing with it this weekend and partition it to 800 GB and 800GB and leave the slack space for what ever but yes glovebox with the plastic peg type velcro attached to it seems to keep it from sliding but doesn’t really stick To the box.

My aging T5 500GB works fine but its from 2018 and has been abused (has almost 200TB read and ~150TB Written (was used as a windows to go boot drive for 2 years and a data migration drive for ~2 years before i Went NVME(crucial x8) for the Migration.

Basically i gave up assuming it didn't work do to the 2tb requiring 2x more current than my t5 does and thinking that it could be it didnt like usb2.0…but for some reason didn't cross my mind that partitioning to a smaller partition would make A difference as the computer in the car is 1 yr old tech i assumed a 2TB partition Would be no issue…and just put it on the back burner…

Here’s Hoping that the cyber truck will have usbc and 3.0/3.1/3.2/4 or what ever the heck you want to call it lol…or even have a user accessible slot to put a NVME drive in it…or even come with a 1tb NVME drive that is removable in the event of an accident.

Upvote 0
I had to take my Samsung 2T drive and format it on my computer. "eXFat" You also have to create a TESLACAM folder for it to work. I could not get it to work when formatting it on the Tesla. It said that it was formatted successfully but would not recognize the drive. I think it is because Tesla does not create a folder named TeslaCam.

Upvote 0
do you really need 2TB? I got Samsung T7 Shield but only 1TB, works really well. I'm not sure if I needed another TB, I just mainly use it for dash cam clips. I have a splitter in glovebox (purchased at Amazon Around $10) and use a separate USB thumb drive for music. I still keep the stock USB drive in the car just in case I needed to secure the video clips in the Samsung so it will not be over written or in case I forgot to hit the horn to save it.

Upvote 0
do you really need 2TB? I got Samsung T7 Shield but only 1TB, works really well. I'm not sure if I needed another TB, I just mainly use it for dash cam clips. I have a splitter in glovebox (purchased at Amazon Around $10) and use a separate USB thumb drive for music. I still keep the stock USB drive in the car just in case I needed to secure the video clips in the Samsung so it will not be over written or in case I forgot to hit the horn to save it.
I don’t really but the 2tb when I bought it was $10 more than the 1 tb so seemed like a no brainer. (Bought on primeday)

Upvote 0