Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dec 2014 P85D+ w/ Remaining CPO Warranty in Phoenix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Located in Phoenix, AZ
December 2014 build date
Bought from Tesla as CPO in April 2019... have another year of warranty
Midnight Gray Metallic Paint with 21" Gray Turbine Wheels
28,200 miles
Clean title
$52,000 OBO

Near perfect condition; has a little curb rash on one wheel (bought it that way), but no other scratches, dents, imperfections.
Not my daily driver so miles are low with almost no wear and tear
LOVE this car but ready for a P100D so I'm looking to sell.

Always garaged, no kids, no pets, no snow, no smoking. Washed every week.
Loaded with everything except spoiler and rear-facing jump seats
AP1
Insane +
Free supercharging and premium connectivity for life
Has Arizona HOV plates
Professional tint
See Pics and Monroney below

upload_2020-4-17_9-42-22.png

upload_2020-4-17_9-46-15.png

upload_2020-4-17_9-23-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-17_9-39-34.png
    upload_2020-4-17_9-39-34.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 42
  • upload_2020-4-17_9-43-44.png
    upload_2020-4-17_9-43-44.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 66
  • upload_2020-4-17_9-46-51.png
    upload_2020-4-17_9-46-51.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 42
  • upload_2020-4-17_9-47-5.png
    upload_2020-4-17_9-47-5.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 38
Sorry, new to this site, not sure why it attached the same picture 4 times.

Forgot to mention the clear bra on the front of the car.

Also, I have a loan on this vehicle but will pay it off before selling so I have title in hand for a quicker/easier transaction.

Looking for some honest feedback on this vehicle / purchase price. I’ve read up a lot on other posts and it seems like less buyers and lower prices across the nation. What’s a competitive purchase price for mine? I’m only looking to sell to get a P100D so if now isn’t the time to sell I’ll just keep enjoying it for a while.

So right now Tesla has 6 P85D's available for sale ranging from $43,100-$51,400. These all come with an additional 2-4 year warranty. Features vary between them and they all have higher miles (32,000-79,000) but the warranty offsets that somewhat. You car is in amazing shape and comes with the free supercharging. I would say your max price would be around $51,000 and would expect that to be a tough sell in the current market. I doubt you will easily find a buyer for more than ~45k right now.

Did you get a trade in quote from Tesla? You can generally expect 5-10k more than that as a private sale.

• Informative
Reactions: trnunes
You guys are awesome. I sincerely appreciate the input. Trade-in offer from Tesla is $44,100. I keep (obsessive) tabs on the Tesla used inventory. They do have slightly higher miles and you gotta add sales tax on those prices but you’re right about the warranty. At the end of the day, none of the above really matters... the market speaks. Can’t a guy just get into a P100D??? :)

• Funny
Reactions: trnunes
Yeah unfortunately now is an absolutely brutal time to be selling a Tesla. The value on P85/P90Ds is plummeting by the second. The one bright spot for you is no private party sales tax in AZ so theoretically you should be able to get a few K more than you would elsewhere.

You guys are awesome. I sincerely appreciate the input. Trade-in offer from Tesla is $44,100. I keep (obsessive) tabs on the Tesla used inventory. They do have slightly higher miles and you gotta add sales tax on those prices but you’re right about the warranty. At the end of the day, none of the above really matters... the market speaks. Can’t a guy just get into a P100D??? :)
Well if your trade in offer is $44K than it’s really $48K with the tax credit you receive towards your next car. If you think you can get more than drop the price to a few thousand more than that.
What matters is if you have been crippled by the updates. Post a picture of your car at 100% SOC with the date showing it’s current. If you’re around 245 than you should be able to get close to $50K since no sales tax. As long as you don’t have dings or dents etc. Don’t look at Tesla’s used cars as a true value since most will have $3K in Body repairs. If they aren’t close the buyer is paying close to 9% in taxes and another $2K delivery fee.
I definitely wouldn’t let the offer Tesla gave you expire as things could get worse.

Last edited:
Deedle,

If prices are depressed on P100D's by more than the potential delta between your current car and it's "good market" resale, then it is probably worth making the jump now versus waiting to try to get more cash out of your current car.

Last time I tried to trade a car into Tesla (a year ago) they would only respect Carmax trade in offers, have you sought one of those out to see what they offer? As mentioned by Tyler, the economy isn't going that great right now, and could definitely get worse. Mine is for sale too, and even with aggressive pricing and being listed on the major resale sites, it is still here. I have a P85+ and I am undercutting all normal 85's across the country, and many 60's. It even has a year of Tesla CPO warranty on it. I am lucky enough that it won't hurt me to keep it, but I would like to sell it.

Good luck!

Deedle,

If prices are depressed on P100D's by more than the potential delta between your current car and it's "good market" resale, then it is probably worth making the jump now versus waiting to try to get more cash out of your current car.

Last time I tried to trade a car into Tesla (a year ago) they would only respect Carmax trade in offers, have you sought one of those out to see what they offer? As mentioned by Tyler, the economy isn't going that great right now, and could definitely get worse. Mine is for sale too, and even with aggressive pricing and being listed on the major resale sites, it is still here. I have a P85+ and I am undercutting all normal 85's across the country, and many 60's. It even has a year of Tesla CPO warranty on it. I am lucky enough that it won't hurt me to keep it, but I would like to sell it.

Good luck!

Prices for the P85D’s have been crushed in the last 2-3 months due too chargegate and batterygate. Having said that the P100D especially 2016.5-2017 has been getting crushed for almost the past year due too over supply (leases ending). Obviously the Coronavirus has had an effect but as stated above if yours goes back up most likely so will the P100D’s. It’s unfortunate cuz if you sold 3 months ago you’re in the mid $50K range. They have dropped as much as $15K (P85D’s) at times. The 2016 P85D that’s still available for $50K was $62K about 2 months ago. The only thing that helps the P85D’s is lack of supply on Tesla’s used site. They had several in the $38K-$42K range and once the 2 at $38K sold the ones at $42K went up $2K. Tesla’s prices are largely based on the performance of their stock and supply. The P85D’s were cheaper last year than this year before they started plummeting recently. I would trade it in so you get the tax credit if you’re really wanting a P100D soon. Otherwise if you wait than be prepared too wait awhile if you’re ok with that. They still are the best batteries in terms of degrading. The updates have unfortunately ruined the reputation they once had that made them worth as much and more than the prefacelift P90D’s/P90DL’s.
C9630310-353A-4C48-84F8-20772A742FD8.jpeg
0F36E949-D4A7-4648-ABA5-F233C3FE1A4F.jpeg

Prices for the P85D’s have been crushed in the last 2-3 months due too chargegate and batterygate. Having said that the P100D especially 2016.5-2017 has been getting crushed for almost the past year due too over supply (leases ending). Obviously the Coronavirus has had an effect but as stated above if yours goes back up most likely so will the P100D’s. It’s unfortunate cuz if you sold 3 months ago you’re in the mid $50K range. They have dropped as much as $15K (P85D’s) at times. The 2016 P85D that’s still available for $50K was $62K about 2 months ago. The only thing that helps the P85D’s is lack of supply on Tesla’s used site. They had several in the $38K-$42K range and once the 2 at $38K sold the ones at $42K went up $2K. Tesla’s prices are largely based on the performance of their stock and supply. The P85D’s were cheaper last year than this year before they started plummeting recently. I would trade it in so you get the tax credit if you’re really wanting a P100D soon. Otherwise if you wait than be prepared too wait awhile if you’re ok with that. They still are the best batteries in terms of degrading. The updates have unfortunately ruined the reputation they once had that made them worth as much and more than the prefacelift P90D’s/P90DL’s.
View attachment 534766 View attachment 534767

As I finished this I checked out the prices and now the 2016 is at $56K. The rollercoaster pricing of Tesla’s used cars is unreal.
6C183EAB-DBB8-4C4D-943D-077D530FD68E.png

Things too note that yours has that are much better than other P85D’s is plus suspension and the rear seats. Also a 2014 had an advertised range of 242 compared too 253 of the 2015 P85D’s.
54AD1CD1-EA96-4315-A683-8B1DA87701A0.jpeg

SOLD!

As promised, the details to help others:

It took me 1.5 weeks to sell. I found a lot of success on Autotrader. No success on Craigslist (unless you include an increased ability to dodge phishing links). TMC was valuable to help me know what’s realistic so I didn’t sit around waiting for 6 months, so thank you!

A local Arizonan found me on Autotrader and we closed the deal at $49,500 after reducing the price a bit for some pretty low tread.

Ultimately I leave the experience having learned that their are people out there looking to own their first Tesla, and if yours is in good condition you don’t have to settle for trade-in values. Every car/situation is different though.