Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defrost and floor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GUID-2474781B-2BD4-466C-9AA0-C251A514B98F-online-en-US.png

I’ve had similar defrost questions. My car is also a 2023 Long Range Model Y. After watching YouTube videos on model y defrost and reading in the online Model Y manual, I do not not see a control setting that allows for airflow to be directed to the floor when selecting defrost setting #17. However, in grouping #3., you can select "windshield" and "foot-level vents" at the same time.

"3. Choose where air flows into the front cabin (windshield, face-level, or foot-level vents). You can choose one or more vents."

"17. The windshield defroster distributes air flow to the windshield. Touch once to defog the windshield (the icon turns amber). Touch a second time to defrost the windshield. Touch a third time to turn off and restore the air distribution, heating and fan to their previous settings. In cold ambient temperatures, the exterior side mirrors are also heated whenever the windshield defroster is operating."

(Of course, "Defrost Car" can also be activated from the app.)

In my two driving experiences in cold temps while snowing, I found the defrost #17. setting to be like sitting in a wind tunnel, very loud. At this point I'm going to make the assumption that using #17. "windshield defroster" is mostly used before entering the car. Presumably that would mean using #3. and choosing your preferred combination of windshield, face-level and foot-level vents to defrost and heat the cabin while driving.

In my limited experience I have been frustrated by ice buildup on portions of the windshield, and ice buildup on the wipers, even after turning on #7. - wiper defrosters. I've experimented with cabin temperatures set between 68 and 70 degrees, and employed both Auto and manual for fan speed.

Do I need to increase cabin temperature and/or fan speed to maintain a clear windshield and ice free wiper?

Reactions: Noflash
I didn't realize there was a wiper defroster. Cool.

I tried using defrost in an ice and snow event last night. Yes, the windshield defrost is overkill while driving. You can't change fan speed or temp. Also, when I turn if off it does not return to previous settings. I use Manual and it keeps the fan the fan on high when I switch back. So j have to go back into the cc menu. Not very convenient when trying to drive on icy roads.