Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detailing a car that has clear coat + PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trevor B

Apr 2, 2016
USA
I lent my Model 3 to my brother for a week. Being the good kid that he's always been, he got the car nicely detailed before returning it.

What's the problem you ask? There might not be one, after all. That's why I'm posting :)

He doesn't know the car has a clear coat + PPF wrap. Is this detailing going to cause any problems down the road?

Wax, sealants and ceramic coatings can be applied to ppf so I would be less concerned that any damage was done. Perhaps the best question to ask is: What was done to the car in the way of a “detail”? Also, what do you mean by “the car has a clear coat”?

Wax, sealants and ceramic coatings can be applied to ppf so I would be less concerned that any damage was done. Perhaps the best question to ask is: What was done to the car in the way of a “detail”? Also, what do you mean by “the car has a clear coat”?

Ceramic coat.

It was just a wash+wax from a place we have both used in the past. So I'm not concerned about the workmanship.

If by detailed he just did a wash and wax, I doubt he did any damage since the ceramic coating and the PPF provide a lot of protection. Now if by detailing he meant paint correction/polishing, that is a different story. But that would result in visible damage you could easily see. So if you are sure it was just a wash and wax and no paint correction or polishing was involved, then I it is most likely just fine.

If by detailed he just did a wash and wax, I doubt he did any damage since the ceramic coating and the PPF provide a lot of protection. Now if by detailing he meant paint correction/polishing, that is a different story. But that would result in visible damage you could easily see. So if you are sure it was just a wash and wax and no paint correction or polishing was involved, then I it is most likely just fine.

Thanks! It was just a wash and wax.

I knew that cars with ceramic coating need not be waxed, but wasn't sure if there would be any negative consequences to doing it.