Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did this battery company just reveal the Model S update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Although I cant imagine it will be anything new. Most likely the battery cells in the 3 and Y finally going to the S and X. S and X always lag behind in terms of these things. I highly doubt they will introduce anything new or groundbreaking

I think it's just a current Tesla with the horizontal screen CGI'ed over top of the existing one. If you pause the video at the right time, you can still see the vertical screen's trim pieces and the current IC screen which appears to be running a pre-Autopilot version of software.

I also can't see Tesla retooling the S/X platform to accept 2170 cells at this stage, not when the 4680s are a year away, and they have already advertised the 4680 as being the cell that will power the plaid drivetrain in the S.

As for the interior design, I agree with BigNick. It's just CGI tomfoolery. Imagine if they just stuffed a horizontal screen in the interior like that. It looks so silly and it blocks the vents like a giant cell phone.

Yeah, the production volume of the first 4680 Roadrunner line in Fremont (~10GWh/year) matches neatly with what the S/X needs (~10GWh/year). What else is Tesla going to do with all those cells? I'm speculating, but I think it's very likely they're going in the S/X refresh.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Yeah, the production volume of the first 4680 Roadrunner line in Fremont (~10GWh/year) matches neatly with what the S/X needs (~10GWh/year). What else is Tesla going to do with all those cells? I'm speculating, but I think it's very likely they're going in the S/X refresh.

Cybertruck and Roadster. I can't see Tesla rushing out a new platform without moving to the latest cell structure. If the 4680 is not ready in time, they'll just delay the release of those platforms.