Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diesel air heater mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Good question. That’s what I would also like to know
In some countries it becomes so cold that it can impact mechanical functioning beyond anything we would experience in UK or Netherlands. In ICE vehicles even those with air cooled engines will have the engine oil become so viscous that the engine won't turn enough to start and the oil won't flow to protect bearings etc. In EVs the battery pack will get so cold that you use a lot of electricity to bring it up to temperature such that it can take charge. EVs also have oil for their motor transfer gears and differentials.

That’s why they install something like Webasto heater, that heats the coolant and therefore the engine. You can’t do that with an EV and I don’t think there’s a viable way for external battery heating.

That’s why they install something like Webasto heater, that heats the coolant and therefore the engine. You can’t do that with an EV and I don’t think there’s a viable way for external battery heating.
I've no idea what people actually do but I do know that the battery pack has a coolant circuit so can be warmed that way ... which is what Tesla does using the motors in a static mode to produce heat.