Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between PPF, Ceramic Coat, XPEL, Etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got PPF and ceramic coating and am completely bummed about how it turned out. Nobody informed me there would be all these seams on my car, which now collect dirt. Should have done the proper research to determine that PPF is not a wrap, but comes in pieces, leaving seams. Which are bigger depending on the installers (mine shall remain nameless). This is so ugly and I definitely would not have taken this protective measure if I had known this would be the result. Anybody want to tell me if I got jipped? ($2400 install price).

I would discourage anyone else from doing this to their car. View attachment 625325 View attachment 625334 View attachment 625327 View attachment 625330
Some of those seams can't be avoided. Some installers used basic patterns to do a quick job. the better ones, will customize and hide the seems as best as possible. The challenge is, on a white car, with dirt over time, you will see the seams more because of dirt accumulation. Not much you can do about that. From the pictures, I would say, your installer could have given you a better result. Take it from me--I have been PPF my cars fully for year. I know a good job when I see one. Sorry mate. Can you take it back and ask them to correct?

It is frustrating to have dirty edges on your PPF, especially on a white car. There are ways to clean the edges without lifting the clearbra. You do not want to use a pressure washer directed at the edges, as that can cause the edges to lift. Instead, I would use a soft detailing brush and a cleaner like Optimum Power Clean to try to gently remove the dirt embedded in the edges. Hope that helps

Here are some resources:

best way to clean edges of clear film?