Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Direct from Solar PV to EV charging, possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, true, although also add that when in constant current mode, it's not the voltage that is adjusted, but the current. When in this phase of charging, the voltage is high enough above the battery voltage such that the current flowing into the battery obeys Ohm's law. But essentially yes, the voltage/current is being adjusted by something.

That's not how battery chargers work. They don't rely on Ohms law, because that would be very wasteful of energy. In constant current mode, the voltage is allowed to adjust to maintain the current. What sets the voltage? The battery. But the current is controlled by the charging circuit. For much of the charging cycle the voltage must be controlled. The voltage is controlled by the charging circuit.

For DC charging, yes, the EVSE provides the proper (requested) DC voltage/current. When in constant current (CC) mode, the EVSE will provide as much current as it is capable of up to the limit of what the car is requesting. When it switches over to constant voltage (CV) mode, the car requests a specific voltage a set amount above the package voltage such that current continues to flow into the pack, and the charger complies with the request, holding the output voltage at that set value.
The voltage at the charger and the voltage at the battery are two different measurements, and will differ by unknown amounts, because of the uncontrolled variables in the cables and connections. Even in much lower power equipment supplies use dedicated wires to sense the voltage on the load to deal with these problems. I don't believe the Tesla cable has such remote sense wires, it would take two. It's called a Kelvin connection.

Do you know the details of the charging connection? I've never found this.

While there is a converter in the car (to support AC charging--see below), this is bypassed in DC charging. The car just requests a given voltage that is appropriate to it's pack's requirements, and the DC charging station complies. There is no voltage conversion happening in the car during DC charging.
I don't think that is correct. A small delta in the measured voltage (such as voltage drops in the cable) will result in large variations in the current. So even in constant voltage mode, there needs to be local voltage sensing and so local control.

No, this is not correct.

First of all, the car does have buck/boost converter (or at least a boost converter) on board. This is the car's onboard charger which is a scaled down version of the external DC charger, except it obviously is designed for lower power operation, meaning it is going to operate in the ~10kW regime (25A or so max current). But it definitely has the ability to boost the input voltage of 120V or 240V up to the 400V or so that the car's pack needs to charge.

I think you are mixing the AC input with the DC input. It's not just a matter of power, the two circuits are different.

But additionally, buck converters, boost converters, and buck/boost converters all require inductors, diodes, capacitors, and switches. The difference is mainly the topology of the circuit.

Yes, a buck is a different topology than a boost or buck/boost. The point is the charger is not in the Supercharger. That is just a power supply, like the wall wart charging your phone.

I would love to see a spec of the charging cable interface. But that's not happening any time soon, no?

I'm not sure what you think you are describing. There is no DC to DC connection without circuitry. The MPPT is the circuitry. But that MPPT would have to be designed for the job. The car would also have to be designed for controlling the input voltage.

I can't say I've ever reverse engineered the connection between the car and a DC charger, but in a Tesla, there are only two pins for control. I've never heard anyone say the DC voltage is controlled over those two pins. If not, then there has to be a DC/DC converter in the car, because you can't dictate the voltage to the battery. The applied DC has to match the battery voltage at the supplied current. Does anyone know the protocol on the control pins for the Tesla? The J1772 protocols are simple enough, but what about for DC fast charging?
I don't know if Tesla has made the Supercharger communications protocol public, although I suspect it has been reverse engineered. Nonetheless, it certainly is possible to communicate more than just simple J1772-like PWM current limits over the CP pin(s).

From: Electric Vehicle Charging plugs and standards of communication explained | Wolfspeed
High-level communication (IEC 61851-1): A requirement for DC charging, this level uses IPv6-based protocol structure and power line communication (PLC) technology over dedicated pins, such as CP and PE in CCS. Two common protocols are ISO 15118-3- and DIN 70121-compliant signal-level attenuation characterization (SLAC) and CAN, with the latter used by DC GB/T and DC CHAdeMO.

If there is any doubt that this kind of communication is not done over the control pin(s), just visit a CCS DC fastcharger with a decent UI on the screen and look at the information it is getting from the car including SOC and in this case, requested charge rate (apologies for the reflection):
1676315706305.png

That's not how battery chargers work. They don't rely on Ohms law, because that would be very wasteful of energy. In constant current mode, the voltage is allowed to adjust to maintain the current. What sets the voltage? The battery.
Correct. The battery does in the sense that the charging station, in order to supply the requested constant current, would need to be operating at a voltage above the pack voltage such that current flows from the charging station to the battery, following Ohm's Law considering the resistance of the connector, cable, and any internal resistance of the battery & other components in the circuit between the power supply and the battery.

I didn't say it "relied" on Ohm's Law (and I don't even know what that means). But it certainly has to follow it!

The voltage at the charger and the voltage at the battery are two different measurements, and will differ by unknown amounts, because of the uncontrolled variables in the cables and connections. Even in much lower power equipment supplies use dedicated wires to sense the voltage on the load to deal with these problems. I don't believe the Tesla cable has such remote sense wires, it would take two. It's called a Kelvin connection.
Yes, this is true, and I agree that they are not worried about the small amount of I^2/R power drop over the connector (or perhaps it's accounted for by overshooting the requested voltage by an amount equivalent to the predicted IR drop of the cable/connector). I don't think this is really germane to what we are talking about anyway. This would only be important with test equipment and ultra sensitive devices where a precise voltage is required at the component in question.

I don't think that is correct. A small delta in the measured voltage (such as voltage drops in the cable) will result in large variations in the current. So even in constant voltage mode, there needs to be local voltage sensing and so local control.
Yeah, the current varies...So what? This is exactly why the charge rate (current) tapers off at higher SOC. All that is happening here is that the car's BMS says, for example, I need 415V constant voltage. So the charging station outputs 415V (or as I said above, maybe it overshoots to account for IR drop in the cable/connector). At the point where the BMS switches from CC to CV, maybe the pack is at 360V and current is rushing in, but as the pack charges and the voltage rises to 370, 380, 390, 400V, the current tapers off because why? Ohm's Law. I = V/R, where V is actually ∆V, the difference between the output voltage of the charging station and the internal voltage of the battery. With a fixed R, as the pack voltage approaches the charger's output voltage (∆V -> 0), I will similarly drop. Once I gets to a certain set low point, the BMS declares charging complete and terminates the charging session, shutting down the charging station.

Sure, as you said, there is going to be a difference in the voltage at the output of the DC/DC converter in the charging station and the input of the battery in the car, but if this is significant at all, it's probably easy enough for either the charging station or BMS to compensate for it (the charging station knows what the R between the converter and the connector is, so can overshoot V to account for it, and the BMS similarly knows what the R between the charge port and the battery pack is, so can request a slightly higher V to account for that. And if it decides it needs to get really precise, it can simply request more V from the charging station such that the V it sees at the positive electrode of the battery pack is what it wants.

I think you are mixing the AC input with the DC input. It's not just a matter of power, the two circuits are different.
No, just pointing out that the car already has a DC/DC converter in it for AC charging. You made the statement that a buck/boost converter would contain expensive components, and while the automotive grade 11kW components are probably not cheap, the point is they are already in the car.

Yes, a buck is a different topology than a boost or buck/boost. The point is the charger is not in the Supercharger. That is just a power supply, like the wall wart charging your phone.
Actually, the first Superchargers literally were made of 8 Model S on board chargers ganged together for additional current capacity (and able to be allocated as needed to each of the two paired pedestals). So yes, the charger IS the same as the Supercharger! I think this fact is an overlooked reason for the success of Superchargers: Tesla constructed them out of proven, high volume components that made them reliable and really cheap to construct (as opposed to third-party DC fastchargers who were (are!) dealing with unproven designs made in very low volumes.

I would love to see a spec of the charging cable interface. But that's not happening any time soon, no?
The hardware? As you're aware, Tesla is opening up the NACS standard, so a lot of the hardware specs are available (or being made available).

As for the Supercharger protocol itself, I don't know that the spec is publicly available (or will be). But again, in general, it's not much more complicated than BMS requests a set current until it reaches a set pack voltage threshold, and then it switches over the CV and requests a specific voltage until the current being delivered drops below a set amount. Sure, there are several details such as whether it's compensating for IR drop and what not, but it's not conceptually any more difficult than that. The more interesting communications taking place across the connector would be things like vehicle authentication (for billing purposes, etc.)

I don't know if Tesla has made the Supercharger communications protocol public, although I suspect it has been reverse engineered. Nonetheless, it certainly is possible to communicate more than just simple J1772-like PWM current limits over the CP pin(s).

From: Electric Vehicle Charging plugs and standards of communication explained | Wolfspeed

If there is any doubt that this kind of communication is not done over the control pin(s), just visit a CCS DC fastcharger with a decent UI on the screen and look at the information it is getting from the car including SOC and in this case, requested charge rate (apologies for the reflection):
View attachment 906745

That's not Tesla. Besides, I'm not talking about status information, I'm talking about controlling the charging. Two different things. Charger design is not something that can be controlled over a com port. It has to be managed in real time, with microsecond precision. A big problem when the control loop is not tight, is oscillations.

Correct. The battery does in the sense that the charging station, in order to supply the requested constant current, would need to be operating at a voltage above the pack voltage such that current flows from the charging station to the battery, following Ohm's Law considering the resistance of the connector, cable, and any internal resistance of the battery & other components in the circuit between the power supply and the battery.

I didn't say it "relied" on Ohm's Law (and I don't even know what that means). But it certainly has to follow it!

It's not ohms law. The chemical processes in the battery dictate the relation between voltage and current. Very different.

Yes, this is true, and I agree that they are not worried about the small amount of I^2/R power drop over the connector (or perhaps it's accounted for by overshooting the requested voltage by an amount equivalent to the predicted IR drop of the cable/connector). I don't think this is really germane to what we are talking about anyway. This would only be important with test equipment and ultra sensitive devices where a precise voltage is required at the component in question.

You are thinking of this the way you would a resistor on a power supply. Battery charging at the cusp of the limitations of the battery require precision control. When you are pumping 400 amps through a connector, even a few mohm turns into volts that can be easily measured by any voltmeter. There is enough resistance in just the cable, that on the 250 kW chargers, the cable is water cooled. Consider that the electronics are some 100 feet away from the car! There is just not an adequate control loop under those conditions.

Yeah, the current varies...So what? This is exactly why the charge rate (current) tapers off at higher SOC.

That's fine, until the current is oscillating because of the parasitics. I'll be convinced when I see documentation showing there is no charging electronic in the car.

All that is happening here is that the car's BMS says, for example, I need 415V constant voltage. So the charging station outputs 415V (or as I said above, maybe it overshoots to account for IR drop in the cable/connector). At the point where the BMS switches from CC to CV, maybe the pack is at 360V and current is rushing in, but as the pack charges and the voltage rises to 370, 380, 390, 400V, the current tapers off because why? Ohm's Law. I = V/R, where V is actually ∆V, the difference between the output voltage of the charging station and the internal voltage of the battery. With a fixed R, as the pack voltage approaches the charger's output voltage (∆V -> 0), I will similarly drop. Once I gets to a certain set low point, the BMS declares charging complete and terminates the charging session, shutting down the charging station.

This is the part you are making up. I especially love that you are expecting ohm's law to manage everything for you. I expect you have never designed any sort of power supply before.

Sure, as you said, there is going to be a difference in the voltage at the output of the DC/DC converter in the charging station and the input of the battery in the car, but if this is significant at all, it's probably easy enough for either the charging station or BMS to compensate for it (the charging station knows what the R between the converter and the connector is, so can overshoot V to account for it, and the BMS similarly knows what the R between the charge port and the battery pack is, so can request a slightly higher V to account for that. And if it decides it needs to get really precise, it can simply request more V from the charging station such that the V it sees at the positive electrode of the battery pack is what it wants.

It's not a matter of compensating for some fixed loss. The problem is that the parasitics complicate the control loop.

No, just pointing out that the car already has a DC/DC converter in it for AC charging. You made the statement that a buck/boost converter would contain expensive components, and while the automotive grade 11kW components are probably not cheap, the point is they are already in the car.

The car does NOT have a DC/DC converter for AC charging. It has an AC/DC converter.

Actually, the first Superchargers literally were made of 8 Model S on board chargers ganged together for additional current capacity (and able to be allocated as needed to each of the two paired pedestals). So yes, the charger IS the same as the Supercharger! I think this fact is an overlooked reason for the success of Superchargers: Tesla constructed them out of proven, high volume components that made them reliable and really cheap to construct (as opposed to third-party DC fastchargers who were (are!) dealing with unproven designs made in very low volumes.

You don't know what exactly is in any of the Superchargers. Tesla may have used the AC/DC charging boards from the early cars. That does not mean the car does not have a controller to manage the battery power on charging.

The hardware? As you're aware, Tesla is opening up the NACS standard, so a lot of the hardware specs are available (or being made available).

Tesla has said they will provide specs. I haven't seen any yet other than the mechanical connector to allow direct connection of J1772, rather than through an adapter.

As for the Supercharger protocol itself, I don't know that the spec is publicly available (or will be). But again, in general, it's not much more complicated than BMS requests a set current until it reaches a set pack voltage threshold, and then it switches over the CV and requests a specific voltage until the current being delivered drops below a set amount. Sure, there are several details such as whether it's compensating for IR drop and what not, but it's not conceptually any more difficult than that. The more interesting communications taking place across the connector would be things like vehicle authentication (for billing purposes, etc.)

I know this all sound simple to you, but there's a lot more to an actual charger design.

That's not Tesla. Besides, I'm not talking about status information, I'm talking about controlling the charging. Two different things. Charger design is not something that can be controlled over a com port. It has to be managed in real time, with microsecond precision. A big problem when the control loop is not tight, is oscillations.
No, it's not Tesla. But I was responding to your assertion (or at least how I interpreted it) that it was not possible for the BMS to handshake with the charger over two pins, by citing a source that clearly claimed otherwise. Besides, because Teslas can charge from CCS and CHAdeMO stations using adapters, it's not totally irrelevant either.

Of course now I see that you are making the assertion that there would be stability issues if the communication is not fast enough, and ergo DC conversion must be taking place within the car itself, which I suppose means you assume that the Supercharger, or any DC fastcharger for that matter just outputs some arbitrarily high voltage which is then lowered using said DC-DC converter in the car.

Speaking of which, you then say that the car does not have/use a DC-DC converter for AC charging. So how then do you think that the incoming 120/240V AC voltage gets raised to the necessary pack voltage of ~400V? As I said before, for AC charging yes, there is an AC-DC converter (rectifier), and a DC-DC boost converter. Together these make up the on board charger. And no, the on board DC-DC converter is most likely not sized to handle the power levels being put out by a Supercharger (which would make it very large and expensive). It is sized to handle wall connector power levels (~48A).

And no, I am not claiming any of this is simple or that the BMS controller is not actively managing the charge process in real time, or that parasitics are not in play. Nor do I think it is necessary to get into an engineering/physics level discussion here on this forum. For the purposes of this discussion, it is sufficient to think of the internal resistance of the battery (which as you say is caused by chemical/ionic reactions) as acting as resistor (albeit one that varies as the battery charges), just as we don't need to concern ourselves with the physics of electron mobility and resistivity as current runs through the charging cable either.