Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disparity Between kWh Used and Percent Used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is it that accounts for this disparity.

The percent of battery used always seems to be 10-15% greater than kWh used. In my 2020 Model S Raven LR it is a 100 kWh battery, correct? But if the dash is showing 20kWh used, for example, I will see a reduction of 23-25% battery. is it climate conditioning that is not accounted for? Thank you.

The trip meters' kWh used metric counts energy used to drive. (This is the claim - I doubt it and suspect it's like the next item but haven't verified it)

The Energy graph only counts energy consumption rates while in Drive. In other words, if you drive 30 miles, park and run the A/C and sentry mode for 10 hours using up 10% of the battery and then get back in and drive a mile, it's like the stop never occurred.

The SoC/battery meter is total (estimated) capacity left in the battery.

With a 100 kWh battery, not all of that battery capacity is available for "end-user" usage. The full 0% to 100% range will probably amount to something more like 90-95 kWh (give or take a few kWh). I don't know if anyone has done full analysis on usable capacity with the Raven models, but I believe the previous 100 kWh models ended up in that range.

With a 100 kWh battery, not all of that battery capacity is available for "end-user" usage. The full 0% to 100% range will probably amount to something more like 90-95 kWh (give or take a few kWh). I don't know if anyone has done full analysis on usable capacity with the Raven models, but I believe the previous 100 kWh models ended up in that range.

Ravens (or, more specifically, the -E and later packs) appear to have on the order of 93-94kWh of usable capacity - ~98kWh nominal full and 5kWh of buffer.

Earlier 100 packs were I think ~103kWh and 4kWh buffer. Not sure if this reflects a physical change or a BMS change but I'd suspect it's mostly a BMS thing.