Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y 25,000 (24,524) Mile Update - Cold Weather Impact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m thrilled with my Tesla after 6 months of ownership. I was an optimistic purchaser and it has largely delivered. I’ve learned a lot and liked a lot. Here are a few areas that have been meaningful to me.

For those of you that have read my previous posts you know that I was determined to purchase a Hybrid Camry XSE. I discovered that I could purchase a Tesla Model Y (during one of Elon’s “sales”) for less money than a Camry XSE. So I made a spontaneous jump and went with the Model Y. I am not convinced, in the end, that it will have saved me any money, but it will be close.

It’s not a completely fair comparison, but it is the two cars I was choosing between. So far the Tesla is $181 a month more expensive than the Camry would have been. Payment, “fuel”, maintenance, insurance, etc. But I plan to drive this car for 10 years and/or 300,000 miles. I still think that over the lifetime of the Tesla I’m going to come out a little ahead… and the Tesla is significantly more fun.

Anyway, onto the items I want to address this time:
  • Tires
  • Superchargers
  • Battery Strategy
  • Cold Weather
  • Enhanced Auto Pilot
  • Wipers
  • Headlights
  • Scroll Wheel customization
  • One Pedal Driving & Brake Regeneration
  • Trip Computer
  • Cold Feet
Tires:

After almost 25,000 miles I still have 7mm left on my tires. I feel they have worn evenly. I wish I knew how many mm they had to begin with. I’d be thrilled to get over 40k on these tires. Others have had experiences that suggest I won’t, but I’m hopeful. I don’t excellerate hard, unless I’m showing off, and I am doing mostly freeway driving.

I had a nail puncture while on a 2k mile trip. I had a tire puncture kit and air pump with me, but should have finished by including a travel jack that fits under the car. You need one for a low profile car. I also recommend a 3 ton jack. I started with a 2 ton jack and watched the car crush it. You’ll be happier if you are prepared for a flat.

Superchargers:

I must say that I have been very happy with the supercharger network. I live in the midwest and in a non-friendly EV state. What this means practically is that my superchargers are usually 75% available. So I never have any issue when needing a supercharger.

I also have come to realize (this is a no brainer to those veterans of EV’s) there is a HUGE difference between the 150 vs 250 chargers. I pretty much always skip the 150’s in favor of the much faster 250’s.

Lastly, when it comes to saving. If I’m on a 300+ mile trip and charge and home and then supplement with a supercharger it costs about the same as it would have if I was in the Camry Hybrid.

Battery Strategy:

I always charge my battery to 50% as soon as I pull in the garage. Then I set it to be ready to go the next morning at whatever percentage I need. This strategy seems to have worked well. After 25k miles I still have a rated range around 320 miles. It takes about 2 minutes every evening to figure out where I am going the next day and how much battery I will need.

I have charged to 100% about 5-7 times per month, but it reaches 100% minutes before I leaven and I drive it down to between 10-50% immediately. So my car spends the overwhelming majority of its life at 50% battery.

I learned this strategy from someone on this forum. I would give credit if I could remember who it was from. But for me, it seems to work well.

My father in law also has a model y, 1 year older than mine. Also 25k miles. He keeps it charged at 80% all of the time. His rated range is down to 301. I don’t know much about batteries, but anecdotally the strategy I’m using seems to be significantly better than his strategy. But there may be other factors I am uninformed about.

Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 3.56.59 PM.png

Cold Weather:

This is a big one for me, but bottom line, I’m ok with the hit that I am taking in cold weather. And it is a big one. I haven’t even really hit winter in Wisconsin yet, but the effects I am seeing in the last few weeks are significant.

My takeaway is that if you are someone that travels less than 180 miles round trip in a day you can do anything you want year around and even though weather will use more energy you’ll be fine.

However, if you drive long distances like me, winter weather will require a few more charges each month to 100% and a few more supercharger stops. But I’m ok with the trade off. The car is that impressive to me.

Even though as the temperatures drop the battery life is more impacted, I would say it is minimal above 32 degrees. This is my opinion from experience over the last few weeks.

Now, when the temperature goes below 32 degrees, that’s when the fun begins. Here is the math on my range. Others may be able to double check if my concepts are correct.

Scenario 1: Between June and October 31 my car showed lifetime of 262 kWh.

My driving habits didn’t change, but the weather did. In November and December here are a few examples of cold weather trips.

Scenario 2: 337 Miles in 28 degrees. I used 120 kWh (about 1.5 battery) and averaged 355 kWh.

Scenario 3: 150+ miles in 30 degrees. I was getting 309 kWh.

Scenario 4: 250+ miles in 25 degrees with a 16 mph headwind. I was getting 415 kWh. (But my car sat outside for 2 hours and the batter never warmed up to the same operating condition as if it had been in my garage.

Scenario 5: 200+ miles at 15 degrees, but with a warm battery from pre heating and sitting in my garage. I was getting 330 kWh.

Here are some examples of range based on weather.

1 - at 262 kWh I could go 309 miles on a 100% charge

2 - at 355 kWh I could go 228 miles on a 100% charge

3 - at 309 kWh I could go 262 miles on a 100% charge

4 - at 415 kWh I could go 195 miles on a 100% charge

5 - at 330 kWh I could go 245 miles on a 100% charge

So, during summer and early fall my car that is rated for 330 miles at purchase I was getting around 309 miles of actual range.

But once the temperature dropped below 32 degrees my range dropped to between 195 and 262 miles on a full charge.

If I am able to preheat in the garage (which I am most of the time) the car does significantly better. But even if I have to sit in a cold parking lot for a few hours it’s still tolerable.

All of this said I have six weeks of -15 to 30 degree days ahead of me. After that, things begin to warm up again and my range should start increasing.

Another note, in the summer time I run the A/C always with is set between 66 and 70. In the cold weather I’ve run the heater usually at 70 but sometimes up to 74 degrees. I use the seat heater a lot. I have noticed very little batter usage difference between 70 degrees and 74 while using the heater.

It seems by far the two biggest battery drains are speed and cold. I used to do all kinds of things to eek out a little more range, but I have found that the things I could do did very little to make a difference. Slowing down, and preheating the car seem like the most important things and I do them consistently, when possible.

It just seems the biggest drain is winter. Without a pre heated battery I saw close to a 30% decrease in capacity. Otherwise it’s been closer to 15%.

Enhanced Auto Pilot

I’m a nerd and would love full auto pilot if I could afford it. That said, I’m in the camp of enjoying Enhanced Auto Pilot. I REALLY like it. I’ve driven a Tesla without it and mine with it. I would pay for it again.

I like the auto lane change feature. With a recent update it became much smoother. It’s far from perfect, but I like it and use it all the time.

Wipers

The wiper software is a joke. I have fun with it. But it’s terrible. I am looking forward to a better algorithm. Actually I’ve gone to using rain x and seldom use the wipers. And they seldom turn on by themselves.

Headlights

The headlights are the brightest I’ve ever had on a car and I really like them. I do a fair amount of night driving.

I used to blind other drivers a lot and they would flash their lights at me. I went into settings in the car and adjusted the headlights down one “notch” and people don’t flash their lights at me anymore.

Scroll Wheel Customization

I am in the camp of people that really like the customization of the left scroll wheel. That said, practically, I find that I never use it. That’s just me. I haven’t found something that I do a lot that is easier to use the scroll wheel for.

One Pedal Driving

I instantly took to one pedal driving. I REALLY like it. I almost never touch my brake pedal. One of the other benefits of an electric car is the brake regen, however with the way I drive I receive almost zero benefit from it. I live in flat country and I do highway driving. I get a little region from going down an occasional hill, and then again on the off ramp at the end of my trip. It’s still cool tech, but with freeway/highway driving in flat country I don’t get as much benefit from it.

Trip Computer

I didn’t trust the trip computer battery/mileage estimates for the first 4 months. I was usually significantly off. It would tell me I would arrive home with 20% battery but the reality was I’ would have 7% battery as an example. But after about 4 months of driving it seems to be pretty much spot on. I was afraid of what cold weather would do to the calculations but it actually seems to have gotten better. I don’t know if it took a while to learn how I drive or if a software update improved things. Regardless of how, I am very happy with the prediction now.

Cold Feet

Shortly before I picked up the car I was getting cold feet. I was afraid. No longer. Now I literally have cold feet. The vent near the footwell seems to do a terrible job of getting warm air to my feet. This is probably my biggest complaint. Do I need a blanket? A pair of battery operated socks? Seems silly. There should be a way to get more heat down there.

Bottom Line

I love this car. It is working out to be comparable to the Camry Hybrid XSE I was going to buy. It does pretty good in winter driving… so far. I love the tech. If you are looking to buy and are afraid of winter, I would say, don’t worry about it.

Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 3.57.17 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 3.57.32 PM.png

That was a detailed report on your experiences. Very nice!

Assuming we actually get some real winter weather this year, you might see up to a 50% decrease in range when it gets really cold. That's what I've observed when it gets down to single digits or negative temps. Basically the range has decreased linearly start from 40F for me through two Minnesota winters.

As for the cold feet, I experienced that during the first winter, but didn't think it was much of an issue the second winter. I wasn't sure if it was because something got adjusted with software or I was just more used to it. It hasn't been cold enough this winter to experience that so far this year, but I plan to take note of that once it starts getting cold this winter.

What do you guys recommend to preheat the battery when it’s in the garage? Just go to climate and defrost the car?
Hate how steamy the car is when I jump in.. didn’t know if anything else helped heat the battery.

What do you guys recommend to preheat the battery when it’s in the garage? Just go to climate and defrost the car?
Hate how steamy the car is when I jump in.. didn’t know if anything else helped heat the battery.
I just schedule my departure time in the Tesla App. If I am leaving at 8am, I set that as my departure time and it does two things. One is it prepares the car cabin for departure and two it preheats the battery, if necessary. Which in the winter in Wisconsin it is. My garage hasn't gotten below 42 degrees, so far, but I suspect it'll get colder as the winter goes on.

I also have it charging as my departure time gets closer, that helps make sure the battery is warm.

Seems to work well for me.

Nice and very detailed report, I'm from Wales and luckily we don't get really cold winters it's just always wet here 🙈, worst case scenario for us would be a few weeks in February it would dip to 0 celsius. I have a 21 plate M3P, swapping to MY next year and find I generally charge at home to 80%, interesting theory about the 50 % which I'll look at later, summer time I use the Zappi2 and take any spare solar kw's back to the Tesla, winter the solar system is rubbish and barely generates enough for the house storage battery let alone the car, all in all I agree with what you say and I'm very happy with my car, it's still a pleasure to get in and drive and I love the entertainment aspect, we took it to the French alps in June, 2200 miles in 5 days effortlessly easy and supercharging network was good, my one and only complaint (we all have one) would be the superchargers always seemed to be located 10-15 minutes drive off the motorways/freeways as opposed to the service stations along the main road. But as I hardly use the s/chargers it isn't really an issue.

Nice write-up! On the wipers - I don't think they get much better from here. Tesla's hubris made them decide to use cameras for what everyone else uses an infrared sensor for. When we first got my 2017 Model S it did not have the automatic wiper function (but it was promised as coming soon). It showed up some time in 2018. And it is indeed a complete joke. Hit the correct angle of the sun and it furiously tries to wipe away water spots. Drive in the dark and watch them not come on at all until you pass a street light. They have improved since 2018 - but barely at all. Now I am running a 2023 MYP and it is the same problem. My last day trip I had to turn them off as we went through some fog and got water spots, then the sun came out and it kept trying to remove the water spots.

Oh, and if you lived where I do (gas prices $5.69 or higher) you'd save a lot in the Tesla over the Camry - even with our high electricity prices. But you live in a cheap gas state. Like with real estate - location is everything.

Nice write-up! On the wipers - I don't think they get much better from here. Tesla's hubris made them decide to use cameras for what everyone else uses an infrared sensor for. When we first got my 2017 Model S it did not have the automatic wiper function (but it was promised as coming soon). It showed up some time in 2018. And it is indeed a complete joke. Hit the correct angle of the sun and it furiously tries to wipe away water spots. Drive in the dark and watch them not come on at all until you pass a street light. They have improved since 2018 - but barely at all. Now I am running a 2023 MYP and it is the same problem. My last day trip I had to turn them off as we went through some fog and got water spots, then the sun came out and it kept trying to remove the water spots.

Oh, and if you lived where I do (gas prices $5.69 or higher) you'd save a lot in the Tesla over the Camry - even with our high electricity prices. But you live in a cheap gas state. Like with real estate - location is everything.

Generally cheap gas comes with cheap electricity, so it all works out. Coming from a V8 truck to Tesla played a part in my savings. I was getting 14 mpg.

Reactions: Stan930 and gad1976
Great review. I've had my Model Y six months as well. It's an amazing car. So much better than I thought it would be. What I like best is the climate control system. It is beyond perfect. Always the ideal conditions at all times. I agree that the auto wipers are awful. It's the only complaint I have. I'd like to thank everyone at Tesla for designing and engineering such a great car and everyone at Tesla Shanghai for the flawless build quality.

yes. I agree on the location comment. It makes a big difference. And I hope you’re wrong about the wipers but fear you probably aren’t.

The auto wipers have been my biggest complaint about my model 3, since I bought it, in Dec of 2018. In fact, when my wife was wanting me to sell her BMW X3 M40i and buy a Model Y / YP in its place, the one thing I said to her as a reminder was "you remember that the auto wipers in my car are terrible, right?"

They have gotten slightly better, and slightly worse over the years, but they definitely are not hands off. In my previous BMWs I could set the wipers to Auto when I picked up the leased vehicle and basically touch it less than 10 times over the course of my 3 year lease.

In my Model 3, when its overcast or something, I am driving with my finger over the manual swipe button, and I have gotten QUITE good at changing wiper speeds with voice activation.

TL ; DR ... @Jerry Ham isnt wrong about the wipers, their description is pretty darn spot on, along with the reasons. They are not any better in my wifes Model YP than they are in my Model 3P. Even with that, I still love both cars. I just wish they had used a regular rain sensor like every other decent car manufacturer.

The auto wipers have been my biggest complaint about my model 3, since I bought it, in Dec of 2018. In fact, when my wife was wanting me to sell her BMW X3 M40i and buy a Model Y / YP in its place, the one thing I said to her as a reminder was "you remember that the auto wipers in my car are terrible, right?"

They have gotten slightly better, and slightly worse over the years, but they definitely are not hands off. In my previous BMWs I could set the wipers to Auto when I picked up the leased vehicle and basically touch it less than 10 times over the course of my 3 year lease.

In my Model 3, when its overcast or something, I am driving with my finger over the manual swipe button, and I have gotten QUITE good at changing wiper speeds with voice activation.

TL ; DR ... @Jerry Ham isnt wrong about the wipers, their description is pretty darn spot on, along with the reasons. They are not any better in my wifes Model YP than they are in my Model 3P. Even with that, I still love both cars. I just wish they had used a regular rain sensor like every other decent car manufacturer.
Under the latest update it gives u the option of turning the wipers off.If u have stalks on your car the easiest way of getting access to your wipers is to touch the end of the left hand stalk which will bring the wiper menu up at the bottom of the touchscreen giving u easy access to alter the speed of the wipers or if u want too u can turn them off completely .Going back to old school manual wipers I’m not complaining

Under the latest update it gives u the option of turning the wipers off.If u have stalks on your car the easiest way of getting access to your wipers is to touch the end of the left hand stalk which will bring the wiper menu up at the bottom of the touchscreen giving u easy access to alter the speed of the wipers or if u want too u can turn them off completely .Going back to old school manual wipers I’m not complaining
Wipers are automatic, when using autopilot.

Reactions: Stan930
What type of battery do you have in MY? Is it LFP or Lithium Ion? If it is LFP battery, won't charging the battery to 50% in using level 2 charger at garage affect the long term life or battery range computation?
I have a Lithium Ion battery. My understanding is that around 50% is the "healthiest" state of charge to have it. I don't know much about the LFP batteries but I believe you want to keep those as close to 100% as possible. But I don't have one and have done very little research into them.

I've always been able to turn the wipers off. That would be crazy if that was not an option. Simply touching the end of the stalk does nothing. A single press does a single wipe and brings up the menu.