Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY PowerWall install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
I have seen a few used PowerWalls on Craigslist recently including:

https://ventura.craigslist.org/ele/d/westlake-village-tesla-powerwall-2/7199833945.html

I took last summer and installed a used SunPower/Enphase system on my house. I had never done anything like it before, but with the help of the internet, I got a plan created and submitted for permit approval, got all the extra hardware from HomeDepot, got some tools off Craigslist, and got it signed off September 1st, 2019. Didn't get shocked once and it worked on the first try. Paid $1800 for the used 4.3kWh system including rails, probably pay it off by next spring and then it's all free electricity!!

So I think I could do my own PowerWall install. I watched them install it at a friend's house with solar. Just follow those steps. But will Tesla allow me to provision it? I am sure I can talk the power company into it, but I need Tesla to pay the bills for the cellular connection and to connect it to my Tesla app. Will they do it or give me grief like I'm Rich Rebuilds

• Love
Reactions: Akikiki
There was someone who posted here a month or two ago who was able to add an additional powerwall to his existing powerwall system by himself. However, I think you will run into issues trying to install a whole system on your own. Like you said, I think the issue will be with provisioning. I don’t believe that tesla will allow anyone but a certified installer to provision the system.

I wonder if you could find a certified installer in your area that would be willing to work with you to provision the system after you installed it yourself.

So I think I could do my own PowerWall install. I watched them install it at a friend's house with solar. Just follow those steps. But will Tesla allow me to provision it? I am sure I can talk the power company into it, but I need Tesla to pay the bills for the cellular connection and to connect it to my Tesla app. Will they do it or give me grief like I'm Rich Rebuilds

I don't think the cellular connection is strictly necessary as long as there's some way for the gateway to contact the mothership (it can use WiFi or Ethernet). So if that's a possibiliity, that reduces the problem to getting PTO from your utility and getting Tesla to provision it.

Bruce.

That's the issue. Sure the price on the CraigsList unit is more than Tesla charges for it but I CANNOT BUY ONE FROM TESLA.

So the only way for me to get one in my life is to hire someone to dolly it across my driveway and DOUBLE the price of the unit. Seems like a waste of money and it's what is keeping me from getting one. If I buy a used LG or an Enphase unit I can plug it in and I am done.

Even if I don't need the Cellular (although if the power is out in my neighborhood, it's the only communications that is gonna work) I will need to control the unit, and w/o Tesla provisioning it, I won't see it in my app.

I have waffled about buying the ones on Craigslist. The day I was gonna buy that PowerWall II my wife gifted me with $7000 KEF speakers for my birthday and I thought I would be too busy playing with them to make headway with the PW. More recently someone was selling the old PowerWall that was DC connected and required an external inverter. Wanted $2500 for it and I was so excited until I discovered that they sold for $3500 new. Then I watched a video of someone opening another one of those that hadn't been open since new either and the battery was dead and unrecoverable.