Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does a model 3 obd cable for scan my tesla work on the plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sam1

Sep 11, 2019
NV
Was reading on the interwebs and couldn't find anything concrete. I have an OBD cable from my model 3 and wanted to hook it up in the plaid, anyone know if the cable will work or not? Was reading the pin layout is different between the older and newer s/x, but the plaid uses a lot of the 3 electronics.

If not, does anyone have a link to a known working cable for the plaid? Thanks

Do you have a cable that connects to the diagnostics connector? This was not available in the early Model 3, and people used an adapter in the connector below the rear seat vents. This will not work in any S/X. The newer Model 3's diagnostic connector is in the right side passenger footwell. This diagnostic connector has the same pinout for power and Vehicle Can on the Model S LR/Plaid. If you are connecting at the diagnostic connector, then yes, it will work for the S/X. I made my own connector on my 2022 S LR, but can confirm when connected to an OBD connector it works for Scan My Tesla.

Do you have a cable that connects to the diagnostics connector? This was not available in the early Model 3, and people used an adapter in the connector below the rear seat vents. This will not work in any S/X. The newer Model 3's diagnostic connector is in the right side passenger footwell. This diagnostic connector has the same pinout for power and Vehicle Can on the Model S LR/Plaid. If you are connecting at the diagnostic connector, then yes, it will work for the S/X. I made my own connector on my 2022 S LR, but can confirm when connected to an OBD connector it works for Scan My Tesla.
My 19 and 21 M3P's both connected in the rear of the center console. Did they change the 3 in '22?