Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does insirance cover Paint Protection Film?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why would it matter who is at fault? it depends on the insurance/policy you paid for.

for example, my policy with AAA covers up to $3000 in aftermarket parts

I have AAA as well but when I called them if they cover PPF/Wraps/aftermarket parts they said they don't provide coverage for those items. Did you have to do anything special or what adjustments did you make to your policy to get those included as part of the coverage? Thanks

For what it is worth, when my car was hit at a red light (I was stopped, he rear-ended me). I had my car repaired with my insurance (USAA) paying for repairs, with them going after his insurance (GEICO). GEICO did admit he was at fault. When I told the adjuster about the PPF and that it would need to be reapplied to the body parts that were replaced, they asked for receipts from when it was installed (had those) as well as quotes to replace (which I got from the same shop). They didn't give me any grief over it at all and simply cut me a check for the estimate. After car was repaired, I took it to the PPF shop and they reapplied the film to the parts that no longer had film now. BTW the cost was about 25% higher than the original cost due to the fact the film is now more expensive...it wasn't an issue.

For what it is worth, when my car was hit at a red light (I was stopped, he rear-ended me). I had my car repaired with my insurance (USAA) paying for repairs, with them going after his insurance (GEICO). GEICO did admit he was at fault. When I told the adjuster about the PPF and that it would need to be reapplied to the body parts that were replaced, they asked for receipts from when it was installed (had those) as well as quotes to replace (which I got from the same shop). They didn't give me any grief over it at all and simply cut me a check for the estimate. After car was repaired, I took it to the PPF shop and they reapplied the film to the parts that no longer had film now. BTW the cost was about 25% higher than the original cost due to the fact the film is now more expensive...it wasn't an issue.

Thanks, that is actually very reassuring! I will just have to ask nicely if I ever cross that bridge, hopefully not though :)

why would it matter who is at fault? it depends on the insurance/policy you paid for.

for example, my policy with AAA covers up to $3000 in aftermarket parts
Here is why. In locations where fault is established and you are NOT the party at fault, the coverage that applies is the other parties liability cover rather than collision cover. Liability coverage almost always requires restoration of damaged property to pre-accident condition. As a direct result liability cover has no deductible and includes additional items such as PPF. Collision cover has deductibles and almost always excludes aftermarket modifications. That distinction is fairly consistent throughout North America, but there are exceptions, and important ones.

First, driving a US-insured vehicle in numerous Eastern/MidWestern US States or a Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario insured vehicle in my US States and having an accident in the other countries jurisdictions results in your own insurance settling the claim under non-attributable liability treaty, regardless of actual fault. Insurance companies did that to avoid interminable cross-border litigation/settlement bureaucracy. There are similar treaties between Canada/US/Mexico insurance companies. If ever that happens you can be in an accident and have 100% covered and have zero claims applied to your own record. That actually happened to me when my Model P3+ was in a New Brunswick accident, insured in Florida when the car was five days old. In the end I actually had an accident-free rate reduction as this claim was being processed. Had i been the driver it might have been different, but I was told that such would have had no effect. They not only replaced PPF, but also Alloy Gators and Ceramic coating USING my original vendor!

So, YMMV. Whatever you do, do not be at fault!

• Informative
Reactions: drklain

I think it's a bit "easier" when you have another party with insurance who has admitted fault.

The benefit of "clearing" PPF coverage with your own insurance company is that if you have a Comprehensive Claim where someone else damages your car and you can't find them, this way there is no issue or concern with PPF coverage since you've already had a discussion with your insurance company about the PPF and it is "on file" for confirmed coverage.

Given that full car PPF plus ceramic Coating can cost over $5K. It is a god idea to make sure your insurance company confirms PPF is included in the Comprehensive portion of your policy.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Okay I heard from my insurance agent. For the benefit of everyone else here's a summary of what I learned, god forbid your baby is hurt:
  • If someone else causes damage, you can find them, they have insurance, and you can prove they are responsible for the damage you can have the insurance of the at fault party to cover not just repairing the damage, plus PPF reinstall cost but likely also Diminished Value and a similar (Tesla) rental.
  • If the damage is caused by someone uninsured you will have to depend on YOUR OWN insurance. Read on.
  • If the damage was caused by someone else and you can't locate who caused the damage, it goes under your Comprehensive portion and you will again depend on YOUR OWN insurance. Read on.
If you have installed PPF on your car, call your insurance agent and send them a copy of the bill and confirm the PPF is also covered. Since a full PPF install can easily cost over $5k, you should protect this investment. In my case, after some research, the State Farm Agent told me they located a special form they have to file under my policy that will cover PPF/after-market modifications. This way god forbid you have to make a claim, PPF coverage is already on your policy and they have it all on file.

TL;DR: If you install PPF on your car, call your agent right away to confirm it is covered under your policy. In the case of State Farm, they have a special form that needs to be filed under your policy.

When did you contact State Farm, recently?

This situation definitely varies by carrier, policy options and location of your insurance cover as well as location of accident or incident that causes the claim. When more than one vehicle is involved the treatment often changes depending on whether or not both vehicles and the same insurer. There are many variables!