Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does just opening the app wake the car up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, I suspect #1 this is only true if you have one car in the app.

I also have solar/Powerwalls and I think the cars stay asleep if I don't swipe them to them. My app tends to have the Powerwall screen selected.

Yeah, the answer to this question depends on what product(s) you have in the Tesla app, and what product "has focus" (is the one that is showing) when you open the Tesla app.

Those of us with Tesla cars, and also Tesla Solar and / or Tesla solar with Powerwalls, if you have the powerwalls as the product that is present when you open the Tesla app, opening the app will not wake the car. If you have multiple vehicles, swiping through them will wake them.

If instead of swiping through them, you tap the profile picture in the upper right corner of the app, then swipe and select the car you want that way, only that car will wake up (vs if you just swipe through the app past the cars, each one you swipe through will wake up. A lot of additional context that doesnt matter to anyone unless they have multiple Tesla products, lol.

In general, opening the Tesla app if you have one vehicle in it and no other Tesla products, will wake the car. Looking at the widget for the Car in your phone OS of choice, wont, but it also may not be fully accurate as to the status of said car.