Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does weight have an affect on range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Page 55 of the M3 owner’s manual lists “Driving Tips to Maximize Range” and goes on to state “Lighten your load by removing any unnecessary cargo.”

Has anyone had any real world experience with this? A quick google search denies this principle but I feel like the owner’s manual wouldn’t lie.

I’m about to go on a 250 mi road trip with (a very crammed) 5 full-sized dudes who all weight around 200lbs. Curious how this will impact my range.

Sure weight impacts range. I once jammed every square inch of my S with heavy book boxes and furniture, car filled to the absolute brim, and drove 900 miles during a move, and saw definite hit on range.

Have to assume the Model 3 is no different. Takes more energy to move more mass.

Reactions: Dana1
Sure weight impacts range. I once jammed every square inch of my S with heavy book boxes and furniture, car filled to the absolute brim, and drove 900 miles during a move, and saw definite hit on range.

Have to assume the Model 3 is no different. Takes more energy to move more mass.
Did you notice the actual degradation, like difference of kwh/mile? Or just a basic guesstimate of perecentage difference in range?

Did you notice the actual degradation, like difference of kwh/mile? Or just a basic guesstimate of perecentage difference in range?

It affects it appreciably. Go to abetterrouteplanner.com, and create some trip calculations. One of the many variable settings it allows you to put into the calculation is "extra weight," which means things like luggage and passenger weights. Try plugging in the passengers you plan on taking, and with just one person, and it will give you a decent approximation of the impact.

• Informative
Reactions: Tocunvt