Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dont Feel Break Regen as much

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Refresh Model S. I dont feel brake regen as strong as I used to when the car was newer. Is this normal? Regen kind of feels like a normal car. I defeintely feel it in my wifes new Model Y. I have the regen set to Standard in the settings. I dont know if this is all in my mind. I would love if anyone has any input on this?

Tesla wants a service diagnostic fee and I would like to make sure something is off before I schedule it. And does anyone know if this is covered under the drive train warranty?

Regen is affected by charge and temperature, however, I see changes in regen after software updates. In IMHO if regen is working (even if less than it used to be) I think it is likely caused by changes to regen due to software updates rather than an issue that service center can fix. So, save your money and time. It doesn't answer your question if Tesla will cover it if there is something actually broken.

The cars with the permanent magnet motors like the 3/Y and raven S/X seem to have stronger regen, especially at lower speeds. The 2017 has induction motors front and rear. I noticed a difference when I bought my 2019 raven that has a permanent magnet motor up front, even at speeds higher than those where the induction regen fades out (7-8 mph).

I think asking Tesla to look into it would be a waste of money. What happens when you change the regen to low? Is regen even less?

I just drove mine today and my regen is almost non-existent. I've got 2020 S Performance. I'm going to try rebooting it in a little to see if that alleviates it, if not, I'll have to put in a service call. Just basically coasts now...

I just drove mine today and my regen is almost non-existent. I've got 2020 S Performance. I'm going to try rebooting it in a little to see if that alleviates it, if not, I'll have to put in a service call. Just basically coasts now...
I assume you've had the car for a few years and know it well. In case you (or other readers) are new to regen, you will have no regen if:
1) The SOC is 98% or higher. Regen works by putting power back into the battery. If the battery is full, there is nowhere to store the power being generated by the motors, so regen is deactivated until the battery level gets a bit lower. The latest cars can apply the brakes to simulate regen at high SOC.

2) The battery is cold. If you are in a cold weather area, and especially if you leave the car outside in the cold (below freezing), regen is also turned off since Lithium-ion batteries cannot be charged below freezing. There is no problem draining the batteries (i.e. driving) when cold. When charging, it warms the battery first, before it can start to charge. Regen is often much lower than normal when the battery is below 50F or so too.

I assume you've had the car for a few years and know it well. In case you (or other readers) are new to regen, you will have no regen if:
1) The SOC is 98% or higher. Regen works by putting power back into the battery. If the battery is full, there is nowhere to store the power being generated by the motors, so regen is deactivated until the battery level gets a bit lower. The latest cars can apply the brakes to simulate regen at high SOC.

2) The battery is cold. If you are in a cold weather area, and especially if you leave the car outside in the cold (below freezing), regen is also turned off since Lithium-ion batteries cannot be charged below freezing. There is no problem draining the batteries (i.e. driving) when cold. When charging, it warms the battery first, before it can start to charge. Regen is often much lower than normal when the battery is below 50F or so too.

Correct on both counts. My SOC was about 56% and it was about 55* F outside. I did get the dotted yellow dashes on the energy graph intermittently, however.

I did a complete power cycle / reboot and that seems to have taken care of the issue.