Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downloading Tesla manual to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, folks. I'm a new member of the forum and a new owner of a (used) 2016 Model S. It came without an owners manual of any sort. I downloaded one at home from Tesla, and had it printed at Staples, so I now have one. But in the car, when I hit the "Manual" button, all I get is a bunch of grayed-out buttons, and no information at all. There must be some way to download a Tesla manual to the car, but I haven't found it. Can anyone help me out. (I apologize if this is a trivial problem--remember, I'm a newly.) Thanks

Hi, folks. I'm a new member of the forum and a new owner of a (used) 2016 Model S. It came without an owners manual of any sort. I downloaded one at home from Tesla, and had it printed at Staples, so I now have one. But in the car, when I hit the "Manual" button, all I get is a bunch of grayed-out buttons, and no information at all. There must be some way to download a Tesla manual to the car, but I haven't found it. Can anyone help me out. (I apologize if this is a trivial problem--remember, I'm a newly.) Thanks
That's a new one on me. Never heard that. I think the manual is part of the firmware download, so maybe getting that updated will help. You can wait for an upgrade to be offered to you, or contact the Service Center.

Maybe @verygreen would have an answer as to where that is located.

I’ve had this happen and most likely you just need to reboot your 17” screen to get the owners manual to show up. Here’s an article explaining how that’s done:

https://teslaownersgroup.co.uk/kb/reboot-tesla-something-going-wrong

Basically depress both wheel buttons on your steering wheel for 10 seconds until the screen resets.

I like having a separate digital copy from the one in the car, so I can search it using my PC or mobile device. Tesla has one on their website that they periodically update, but haven’t found a way to get it except for a web search. If someone has a better way pls let me know. Here is the latest one I can find, title page says updated for software release 2018.48.12, and dated December 17, 2018:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf

From the naming convention, it looks like they just overwrite this one from time to time with a newer version. Thanks for reminding me, last one I uploaded was August 2018, 2018.32.

Would be nice if there was some way to automatically get a manual in pdf form on your phone that matches the one that just got installed in the car.