Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Seat Stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had the drivers seat get stuck on my June 2020 Model Y. Stuck all the way back. I’m 6’5”, my wife is 5’5”. Prevents her from driving the car.

I was able to get it unstuck twice now by pressing back on the seat (using my legs braced on the floor/ firewall) while moving the switch rearward, and then forward.

Counterintuitive to push back on the seat when when you want to move it forward, but doing it briefly while pressing rearward on the seat switch, and then forward on the seat switch did the trick. The seat continued to work properly until I drove the car. I am guessing the act of driving while the seat is all the way back causes the seat position to shift and the seat position drive gear to bind in the seat track. My workaround with pressing on the seat while cycling switch not a long term solution, since takes some practice to get it to work. I have visions of an emergency call from my wife when she can’t get it to work.

I have booked a mobile service appointment for 6 days from now, will see if they can address.

Update: heard from mobile service, they offered to help me get the seat unstuck, but ‘it is a known issue, have no resolution at this time, suggest moving seat 1/4” forward from rear most position, and save that spot to prevent seat from binding’ Disappointing, but I guess a first world problem.

Same thing happened to my Model 3 today. I was able to get it unstuck using younger64's method of pushing back on the seat (with my back, while my feet are pushing off of the floor) and pressing the switch back at the same time.

Update: heard from mobile service, they offered to help me get the seat unstuck, but ‘it is a known issue, have no resolution at this time, suggest moving seat 1/4” forward from rear most position, and save that spot to prevent seat from binding’ Disappointing, but I guess a first world problem.

A first world problem it is not! I have the easy entry setting to furthest back and today it would not budge to my position. Dangerous and borderline undriveable.

Has anyone ever had their driver seat stuck? I'm 6-3 and have my seat profile set to all the way back. My wife got in the car and couldn't have her profile seating moved forward. She's shorter and now can't reach the pedals. I tried 'rebooting' the car with and without the brake pedal to no avail. I tried to have the seat move forward, and it still doesn't. I 'booked' an appointment through the phone app, but only have it for Jan 13. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do in the meantime to get it to move forward?
Yes, that happens to my Y. This is the long as it’s been stuck. It usually corrects itself spontaneously and randomly. It’s so frustrating.

I’m going to join the broken seat crowd… Very discouraged and disappointed with Tesla service.

The short story is: Our 2020 Model S has been in the Tesla Vallejo, Ca. Service Center since January 28, 2022, because the drivers seat gets stuck and is unsafe. The car has been promised three times for pick up but with no communications initiated by the service center. I initiated a message to confirm pick up each time only to be messaged back that the car is not repaired… the new promised date is now February 18, 2022. Not holding my breath on that. Tesla is a nice car but, what’s the point of owning one if you can’t get them repaired?

The long story is this: In December 2021, our 2020 Model S started having an intermittent problem with the drivers seat sticking and it progressively got worse. It became very unsafe when the wife who is 5’2” would go somewhere and when she got back in the car to come home, the seat was stuck all the was back (easy access setting) and she would sit on the edge of the seat to reach the peddles. The problem is specific to the drivers seat moving forward and back, all other functions worked.

I made an appointment to have the seat repaired which took two week to get in on January 28, 2022. Once there, I was showing the technician how the seat would malfunction and it in fact got stuck in the forward position but then began to work again. Oddly, the technician was dismissive of my concern because the seat started working again. I had to stress the point of it being intermittent. I also explained that the problem occurred when using my key fob and the seat would not go to my specific settings. My confidence in the technician‘s competence was further reduced when he adamantly told me the key fobs were not capable of being programmed to a specific driver... which they are for my car. Ultimately, I was told to leave the car and pick it up later that afternoon.

Sadly, it is now February 12th… they still have our car, and it is not repaired. The service center has not initiated any communication… zero… as to the status of the car. The only method of communication is the app on your phone, there is no number to call and discuss what is happening... I’ve tried. It has been my responsibility to initiate all communications as to whether the car is ready for pick up on a promised date but, for the third time as of yesterday, a reply told me the car still was not repaired and that they were waiting for a new seat... the new completion date is now shown as February 18th.

So for the third time, I have made myself available to pick up the car on a promised date… in another town 45 minutes away. And for the third time, I initiated a message in the morning to confirm I can pick up the car only to be told the repair isn’t done. What crap. To date, Vallejo, Ca. Tesla Service Center‘s competence, efficiency and ability to effectively communicate appears none existent and has simply soured me on Tesla all together. As I said above, Tesla is a nice car but, what’s the point of owning one when you can’t get them repaired?

Same thing happened to me, I am 5'3" and I had put my seat all the way back to avoid the sun and it got stuck. I had to drive with the seat back to get home then I found this article and I tried the pushing the seat back while holding the switch forward and it worked!

Just had the drivers seat get stuck on my June 2020 Model Y. Stuck all the way back. I’m 6’5”, my wife is 5’5”. Prevents her from driving the car.

I was able to get it unstuck twice now by pressing back on the seat (using my legs braced on the floor/ firewall) while moving the switch rearward, and then forward.

Counterintuitive to push back on the seat when when you want to move it forward, but doing it briefly while pressing rearward on the seat switch, and then forward on the seat switch did the trick. The seat continued to work properly until I drove the car. I am guessing the act of driving while the seat is all the way back causes the seat position to shift and the seat position drive gear to bind in the seat track. My workaround with pressing on the seat while cycling switch not a long term solution, since takes some practice to get it to work. I have visions of an emergency call from my wife when she can’t get it to work.

I have booked a mobile service appointment for 6 days from now, will see if they can address.
This works for me! Thank you 🙏🏼

The drivers seat on my December 2020 Model Y has gotten stuck in the rear most position several times now. The first and second times it happened I was able to jerk it forward while sitting in it and at the same time using the Fwd / Rev switch on the side of the seat. It started working after a couple of jerks. The 3rd time it would not free itself until I did a move where I jerked both forward and rearward while operating the switch on the side of the seat and at the same time pulling up on the front edge of the seat. I must have looked, to an outside observer, like I was having a seizure.

Before doing this 3rd move I managed to get a mirror under the front edge of the seat and my head right down on the floor mat. The motor that moves the seat forward and backward is right under the front edge of the seat, (the reason for pulling up on the front edge of the seat). It is only about an inch in diameter and has a shaft going right through the middle of the motor so there are no gears driving the shaft. One end of the shaft runs a gear train on the door side of the seat while the other end runs a gear train on the console side of the seat. I had my head under there while actuating the fwd/rev switch and you could see the motor trying to turn, first cw and then ccw depending on which direction I moved the switch. It would only move a degree or so in rotation but was consistent with the operation of the switch. My guess is that this motor needs a bit more torque to force the seat forward or in lieu of that to install a rubber bumper of some sort on the slide system to keep the gears from jamming at the end of travel. I do not believe this problem has anything to do with software upgrades or programming of any kind. For a temporary solution I have programmed the seat to stop just before it reaches its rearward position. I also deleted the "Easy Entry" mode to keep the seat from going all the way back to its stops when exiting or entering.

I really think this is a design problem that needs to be fixed by Tesla. I hope this helps some get their seats to working again!

Aloha from Hawaii where there isn't one single Tesla Super charger

I’m going to join the broken seat crowd… Very discouraged and disappointed with Tesla service.

The short story is: Our 2020 Model S has been in the Tesla Vallejo, Ca. Service Center since January 28, 2022, because the drivers seat gets stuck and is unsafe. The car has been promised three times for pick up but with no communications initiated by the service center. I initiated a message to confirm pick up each time only to be messaged back that the car is not repaired… the new promised date is now February 18, 2022. Not holding my breath on that. Tesla is a nice car but, what’s the point of owning one if you can’t get them repaired?

The long story is this: In December 2021, our 2020 Model S started having an intermittent problem with the drivers seat sticking and it progressively got worse. It became very unsafe when the wife who is 5’2” would go somewhere and when she got back in the car to come home, the seat was stuck all the was back (easy access setting) and she would sit on the edge of the seat to reach the peddles. The problem is specific to the drivers seat moving forward and back, all other functions worked.

I made an appointment to have the seat repaired which took two week to get in on January 28, 2022. Once there, I was showing the technician how the seat would malfunction and it in fact got stuck in the forward position but then began to work again. Oddly, the technician was dismissive of my concern because the seat started working again. I had to stress the point of it being intermittent. I also explained that the problem occurred when using my key fob and the seat would not go to my specific settings. My confidence in the technician‘s competence was further reduced when he adamantly told me the key fobs were not capable of being programmed to a specific driver... which they are for my car. Ultimately, I was told to leave the car and pick it up later that afternoon.

Sadly, it is now February 12th… they still have our car, and it is not repaired. The service center has not initiated any communication… zero… as to the status of the car. The only method of communication is the app on your phone, there is no number to call and discuss what is happening... I’ve tried. It has been my responsibility to initiate all communications as to whether the car is ready for pick up on a promised date but, for the third time as of yesterday, a reply told me the car still was not repaired and that they were waiting for a new seat... the new completion date is now shown as February 18th.

So for the third time, I have made myself available to pick up the car on a promised date… in another town 45 minutes away. And for the third time, I initiated a message in the morning to confirm I can pick up the car only to be told the repair isn’t done. What crap. To date, Vallejo, Ca. Tesla Service Center‘s competence, efficiency and ability to effectively communicate appears none existent and has simply soured me on Tesla all together. As I said above, Tesla is a nice car but, what’s the point of owning one when you can’t get them repaired?
UPDATE… On February 16th, I sent a text message to verify the car would be ready on the 18th. The following day I received a voicemail saying the car was not repaired and there was no ETA on receiving a new seat. I then sent a text requesting to pick up my car until they had a new seat in their possession. Initially, I received a voicemail that said I could pick up my car at any time, however; minutes later I received another call saying that was not possible. They had removed the seat from the car and broke it, therefore there was no seat in the vehicle.

On Saturday the 19th, I showed up at the dealership unannounced to check on my vehicle. There was no one working that I could talk to about the status of my vehicle... and the seat was in fact missing from the vehicle. I took a couple photos (attached) which included a dirty foot print where someone used their foot to open the door. Not exactly what I would call quality car. I then sent a text expressing my displeasure and frustration… and my intent to share this experience on public media. I received no reply specific to my message, however; I received a text message late Monday afternoon… miraculously - The repairs were complete and my car was ready for pick up.

I picked up the car the next morning. The car was clean, and having lost 100+ miles of charge while at the service center, they were kind enough to put it on the super charger. But surprisingly, at my expense since the cost for the super charger posted to the credit card account I have on file for super charging.

Overall, I’m happy to have our car back… The seat appears be operating fine. As for the Vallejo service center, I would not recommend them if you have other options. At no point during the three weeks plus that my car was there did they initiate any contact or provide any updates absent my inquiries. Given their miraculous ability to suddenly have a seat on Monday and get it installed, I would’ve thought they would’ve called to provide that positive information… But that did not happen. I simply received a text at the end of the day saying I can pick up my car. As I said before, Tesla is a nice car but what’s the point of owning one if you can’t get them repaired? Where is vehicle repair experience I have ever had.

UPDATE… On February 16th, I sent a text message to verify the car would be ready on the 18th. The following day I received a voicemail saying the car was not repaired and there was no ETA on receiving a new seat. I then sent a text requesting to pick up my car until they had a new seat in their possession. Initially, I received a voicemail that said I could pick up my car at any time, however; minutes later I received another call saying that was not possible. They had removed the seat from the car and broke it, therefore there was no seat in the vehicle.

On Saturday the 19th, I showed up at the dealership unannounced to check on my vehicle. There was no one working that I could talk to about the status of my vehicle... and the seat was in fact missing from the vehicle. I took a couple photos (attached) which included a dirty foot print where someone used their foot to open the door. Not exactly what I would call quality car. I then sent a text expressing my displeasure and frustration… and my intent to share this experience on public media. I received no reply specific to my message, however; I received a text message late Monday afternoon… miraculously - The repairs were complete and my car was ready for pick up.

I picked up the car the next morning. The car was clean, and having lost 100+ miles of charge while at the service center, they were kind enough to put it on the super charger. But surprisingly, at my expense since the cost for the super charger posted to the credit card account I have on file for super charging.

Overall, I’m happy to have our car back… The seat appears be operating fine. As for the Vallejo service center, I would not recommend them if you have other options. At no point during the three weeks plus that my car was there did they initiate any contact or provide any updates absent my inquiries. Given their miraculous ability to suddenly have a seat on Monday and get it installed, I would’ve thought they would’ve called to provide that positive information… But that did not happen. I simply received a text at the end of the day saying I can pick up my car. As I said before, Tesla is a nice car but what’s the point of owning one if you can’t get them repaired? Where is vehicle repair experience I have ever had.

Attachments

• CA4BE5BF-27AE-4420-BEE2-028A5C566AE7.jpeg
    CA4BE5BF-27AE-4420-BEE2-028A5C566AE7.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 189
  • A389BE32-0FEF-4B4D-A520-6EBF0BF50567.jpeg
    A389BE32-0FEF-4B4D-A520-6EBF0BF50567.jpeg
    748.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 0FDF8912-26C1-4053-BD16-1B10F135892A.jpeg
    0FDF8912-26C1-4053-BD16-1B10F135892A.jpeg
    537.9 KB · Views: 106
Mine froze up going forward and backward in the last couple of days on my 2021 model Y. Will move up and down and recalibrated under the service and saw it move about an inch forward and back during the reset. Did hard reset and turn the vehicle off, nothing. Just set up a service appointment.

Familiar theme. 2021 Model 3 long range. I’m 6’3 with shorter spouse. Driver’s seat only clicks when trying to adjust forward / backward. All other controls work. Seems like something mechanical or stuck in rail because I can hear & feel adjustment motor click & rock as if trying to move but no luck. Anyone have a home remedy?

Somehow I missed this post, but it just worked. Thank you!

Same issue after moving the driver’s seat all the way forward to lower the back seat. Soft reset, hard reset did nothing. Read this post and the next morning did the rocking motion (had a seizure) and it began working again.

Pushing back with my back while stepping my feet while pushing back and forth the side joystick did the trick. Easy solved. Have corrected the easy entry so it slides back but not till the end. Thanks very much all!!! Especially younger64 cheers