Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Seat Stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had the same issue occur with my 2022 Model X Plaid. Could hear the click, but seat would not adjust forward or back. Tried everything I could think of, including seat recalibration, then saw younger64's post and it worked right away. Thanks @younger64 !

Just had the drivers seat get stuck on my June 2020 Model Y. Stuck all the way back. I’m 6’5”, my wife is 5’5”. Prevents her from driving the car.

I was able to get it unstuck twice now by pressing back on the seat (using my legs braced on the floor/ firewall) while moving the switch rearward, and then forward.

Counterintuitive to push back on the seat when when you want to move it forward, but doing it briefly while pressing rearward on the seat switch, and then forward on the seat switch did the trick. The seat continued to work properly until I drove the car. I am guessing the act of driving while the seat is all the way back causes the seat position to shift and the seat position drive gear to bind in the seat track. My workaround with pressing on the seat while cycling switch not a long term solution, since takes some practice to get it to work. I have visions of an emergency call from my wife when she can’t get it to work.

I have booked a mobile service appointment for 6 days from now, will see if they can address.
Thank you for the post. My 2020 MX is just outside the new car factory warranty as of this past Friday. I purchased the extended warranty, but didn't want to pay a $200 deductible for something just 120 miles outside the new car warranty. My driver's seat was stuck in the spot I moved it to in the forward direction to vacuum under the seat at the car wash. I'm 6' 1" and had to lower the seat to get in, then raise it up, then tilt the seat forward to get enough leverage to apply enough pressure on the seat to get your suggestion to work for me. Again, your post is much appreciated.

FWIW, I have a CPO 2022 Model Y, and I experienced this issue for the first time today after only my third week of ownership. Interestingly though, I did naively change my Easy Entry profile to maximum rearward seating position three days ago. I just discovered this thread and tried @younger64's rocking method and was not getting anywhere. But then on a hunch I held the seat with both hands and kind of jumped and pulled upwards just after tapping my personal profile on the screen - and suddenly the seat moved forward. Joy. ish.

I'm relieved the seat is functioning properly again, and yet after reading the horror stories on this website I sense that my first scheduled service visit will be more trouble than it's worth or I will be handwaived away with an unsatisfactory remedy. New Jersey has some rigid lemon laws on CPO/used, so I suspect Tesla will do everything in their power to keep the car in my possession.

Any thoughts and opinions on how to proceed?

Just had this issue with my 2020 M3LR. It happened several days ago & I went thru all the usual options of rebooting, power off & it started to work.
It happened again today & after researching I tried the younger64 technique & it worked! Thanks younger64 & everyone else who posted about this problem. It's nice to have access to a community of folks working to help each other out. Hoping the fix lasts, fingers crossed. Thanks all!

Reactions: CharleyBC
Update: heard from mobile service, they offered to help me get the seat unstuck, but ‘it is a known issue, have no resolution at this time, suggest moving seat 1/4” forward from rear most position, and save that spot to prevent seat from binding’ Disappointing, but I guess a first world problem.
After 2 years of trying to get this fixed on my Model S refresh - I asked Tesla to buy back the car as a lemon or buy back directly. Tesla spent the last 5 months blaming me for damaging the seat as they found a small piece of garbage under the seat; and after multiple complaints they agreed this is a "known issue" with no resolution designed yet. As its been 2-3 years of issues I see on the forum, they have no plans to fix it. Appointment in 2 weeks to file for buyback prior to a lemon law claim if they don't approve. Well over 5 visits with most of them not even looking at the seat problem...... Ask for a buyback if you want them to really look into the issue

Just had the drivers seat get stuck on my June 2020 Model Y. Stuck all the way back. I’m 6’5”, my wife is 5’5”. Prevents her from driving the car.

I was able to get it unstuck twice now by pressing back on the seat (using my legs braced on the floor/ firewall) while moving the switch rearward, and then forward.

Counterintuitive to push back on the seat when when you want to move it forward, but doing it briefly while pressing rearward on the seat switch, and then forward on the seat switch did the trick. The seat continued to work properly until I drove the car. I am guessing the act of driving while the seat is all the way back causes the seat position to shift and the seat position drive gear to bind in the seat track. My workaround with pressing on the seat while cycling switch not a long term solution, since takes some practice to get it to work. I have visions of an emergency call from my wife when she can’t get it to work.

I have booked a mobile service appointment for 6 days from now, will see if they can address.
This worked for me on my wife's 2023 Model Y. Thanks!!!