Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I’m new in this forum and i think of buy a tesla model 3 soon :D, but before i have to know one thing. I have a disease wo make me with an big belly and i need to have big space between the seat and the steering wheel.

If someone have the time to make a measurement of the max space you have from the seat to the bottom of the steering wheel it would be perfect...

For you curiosity :). its a Glycogen storage disease. my liver dont do its jobs and make me like a person who have abusing of beer :D.

Capture-d-e-cran-2019-09-26-a-13-52-08.png

Reactions: Phlier
I’m a fat ass and I have no issues fitting. I think your best bet is to visit a Tesla service center and test drive one because they are low to the ground and you might find the combination of belly and lowness an issue beyond measure.. I don’t have an issue personally...

Hi, Welcome to the forum! Yeah!

The front seat can move quite far away, there is a very long rail. Typicaly I keep it half way, I'm 6'2": (see view from the rear seat)

1448752-00-B_3.jpg

Also there are both seat and steering wheel adjustments:

From what I hear, some people have more issues with entering and exiting,
because the Model 3 is a little bit low, compared to other cars, especially if you are used of SUV.

But there is an Exit mode option to raise steering wheel and move seat to full rear position.

Last thing I would say would be to stop at a Tesla Store, or if too far away, may be there is a Supercharger near where you live.
I think you will be able then to find someone showing you the seat adjustments.

I don't know if you need a car right now, but if you find the Model 3 not as easy access as you like,
I would then recommend getting the Model Y which should be a little bit taller, but will not be available for another year.
Otherwise, I don't think you might have problem finding an ideal seating position.

Last edited:
i can tell you that although you will likely be able to move the steering wheel and seat to a comfortable position, the pedals don't move. so if you have shorter legs, this might be a challenge for you. echoing what others have said: you won't know until you sit in and drive one.

I’m a fat ass and I have no issues fitting. I think your best bet is to visit a Tesla service center and test drive one because they are low to the ground and you might find the combination of belly and lowness an issue beyond measure.. I don’t have an issue personally...

I just tested one today - it was fantastic. I didn't notice that it was much lower to the ground that most newer (2018+) sedans. Is there any documentation on this? I have a disabled wife and the front passenger room in general is very important. TIA.

Thanks all for your reply :)

Yes i will go in a tesla center but you know its not easy to live with that and come to a center to find you don't fit in a car… for me its a little bit hard, i just wanted to have some feedback before testing it.

I don’t have problem for low car because i have a golf VI who is lowered to hell and I've gotten used to it :D

Anyway thanks again for your reply and have a nice day !