Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'23 X Post Test Drive Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just completed a test drive of a '23 X and a '23 Y. The park assist features are important to us and I want to make sure I understand how the X/Y park assist works. It was a "touchless" test drive so no salesperson from Tesla on the drives.

For context, we have been using overhead 360 view cameras for over 10 years with an Infiniti QX56, then BMW X5. Normal habit is pulling into a parking space (forward) and pressing the camera/parking button to get overhead 360 view to center in the space and be able to see distance from cars on all three sides. I did find the camera button in the X and Y when pulling into a parking space but no overhead view and the side cameras didnt show the parking lines just the cars next to us. No top down view in front either to show distance to curb etc. Backing into a parking space was considerably better with the backup camera with simulated parking space lines.

Sensors and chimes when parking were not great. I tested backing up to a wall at the service center and it didnt give any indication until I was really close to the wall. I also tested backing into a normal parking space and it didnt provide much feedback until it chimed and displayed "Stop" when i was still a couple feet from the curb behind the space. Overall parking aids were pretty poor. Just want to make sure I am not missing anything on this. Parking in the Y was basically the same results. Our BMW has perpendicular and parallel self parking, 360 cameras, etc so dont want a downgrade on these features. The park assist package is $800 on the BMW and I think part of the $6k package on the X/Y which I did not select due to cost. Unfortunately the demo X had a Yoke instead of a steering wheel so it was very awkward in low speed parking situations.

Navigation and the screen were great and having the screen behind the wheel in the X was nice. We are spoiled with having a HUD on the X5 with all our navigation instructions directly in front of you with lane guidance speed limit etc. Surprised I guess again that no HUD but its one of those things you get used to having and immediately notice it if its not there.

FWD were nice but not necessary for us and would prefer standard doors. The glass in the FWD above the rear seats was hot and warmed up the rear seats. For that matter it was warm up front with all the glass as well. We generally keep the sunroof shade closed during the day in our X5. No shade in the X. Cooled seats were very nice, I wouldnt buy another car without them, our X5 does not have that feature.

Autopilot was fine in the X, didnt realize it wasnt enabled in the Y before we headed out on the drive. The blind spot warning was not really much of a warning system other than triggering the camera to display automatically in the center screen when you are looking left. No indicator on the side mirror or buzzing your seat if there is car there and you start to turn into adjacent lane.

Trunk space of X was fine with the deep storage area at the very back. The panel covering the deep well storage was kinda flimsy and seemed a bit cheap. The original MSRP sticker was down there and showed $129k I believe LOL. I have looked at the S before and with its rear hatch seems to make a bit more sense when looking at a 5 seater.

The Y with a regular steering wheel and turn signal stalks was immediately easier to drive and more or less drove like a "regular" car. It was a perfectly fine car and I can see why its popular. The looks of it do absolutely nothing for me and it has all the same issues noted above as the X which is unfortunate.

Overall was kinda hoping to be blown away but left underwhelmed. Almost thinking now we keep the X5 and maybe wait for the updated model 3 as a second run about car. The new 3 has vented seats but have not heard if park assist features have been improved...

TLDR; Tesla does not have 360, overhead nor ultrasound sensors. Everything you’re describing is “within spec” or “working as designed”. Go search “Tesla Vision” and you’ll understand.

If you’re looking for the latest/greatest driver aids, you won’t find it with Teslas. People buying Teslas for the driver aids isn’t one of the main reasons. Good luck!

You also can turn on the rear view camera, which includes both side cams. Very easy to tell if you are centered between the lines or adjacent vehicles. Also the rear cam easily tells you if you are far enough in to the slot.

TLDR; Tesla does not have 360, overhead nor ultrasound sensors. Everything you’re describing is “within spec” or “working as designed”. Go search “Tesla Vision” and you’ll understand.

If you’re looking for the latest/greatest driver aids, you won’t find it with Teslas. People buying Teslas for the driver aids isn’t one of the main reasons. Good luck!
Thanks yes read a few other posts so far and not seeing any solutions or even any upcoming. Was thinking Tesla had the best tech. Odd other Mfrs have been doing something so simple for over a decade.

Reactions: Mike7564
You also can turn on the rear view camera, which includes both side cams. Very easy to tell if you are centered between the lines or adjacent vehicles. Also the rear cam easily tells you if you are far enough in to the slot.
thanks yes tried that and you do see the cars next to you as you can also see them out the windows LOL. Those cameras dont face down to the parking lines. Not arguing the point just wanted to verify that their parking assist features are as poor as I was seeing during the test drive. Based on lots of posts here the answer is yes.

The blind spot monitor is more than just the camera view - if you signal, the visualization should also show if there’s a car there and will be highlighted in red and warn you. You can also move the camera view around the main screen into a couple of different positions. You can also set your side rear view mirror to tilt down when you reverse. We have a 2021 Y and just traded a 2019 3 in for a X Plaid b/c of the fsd transfer and wanting more room during road trips. We opted to get a steering wheel since it’s more similar to the Y and we alternate cars depending on who is dropping off the kiddo. We absolutely love the falcon wing doors since it’s so much easier to get the 4 yr old kiddo in and out of her car seat. The parking sensors in our 2021 Y worked well (ultra sonic) but tesla has since removed them from newer model. It’ll improve once enough Tesla gets enough training data. That’s the great thing about Tesla - our model 3 was a better car 4 years after we got it due to all of the software updates (sentry mode, blind spot, summon, fsd beta, camera view from the app for sentry or dog mode, range/consumption data). Last year I drove across country when we moved (3000 miles) with our 2 dogs in our Y with standard autopilot - on the highway it did 99% of the driving. We now subscribe to fsd on the Y since FSD beta (while definitely not perfect) actually saved us from what would have been a serious accident in our 3. Was having fsd beta drive home after picking up our kiddo up from school. It stopped at the red light and after the light turned green it didn’t go as it normally would when the light turns green so I was going to override it. Split second later a car zooms by running their red light. We would have been T boned with the other car doing ~45mph. Turns out 8 computer eyes are better than my 2 human eyes. While lots aren’t perfect with our Teslas, they are one of the safest cars out there and iteratively becoming safer.

Reactions: rstx
The blind spot monitor is more than just the camera view - if you signal, the visualization should also show if there’s a car there and will be highlighted in red and warn you. You can also move the camera view around the main screen into a couple of different positions. You can also set your side rear view mirror to tilt down when you reverse. We have a 2021 Y and just traded a 2019 3 in for a X Plaid b/c of the fsd transfer and wanting more room during road trips. We opted to get a steering wheel since it’s more similar to the Y and we alternate cars depending on who is dropping off the kiddo. We absolutely love the falcon wing doors since it’s so much easier to get the 4 yr old kiddo in and out of her car seat. The parking sensors in our 2021 Y worked well (ultra sonic) but tesla has since removed them from newer model. It’ll improve once enough Tesla gets enough training data. That’s the great thing about Tesla - our model 3 was a better car 4 years after we got it due to all of the software updates (sentry mode, blind spot, summon, fsd beta, camera view from the app for sentry or dog mode, range/consumption data). Last year I drove across country when we moved (3000 miles) with our 2 dogs in our Y with standard autopilot - on the highway it did 99% of the driving. We now subscribe to fsd on the Y since FSD beta (while definitely not perfect) actually saved us from what would have been a serious accident in our 3. Was having fsd beta drive home after picking up our kiddo up from school. It stopped at the red light and after the light turned green it didn’t go as it normally would when the light turns green so I was going to override it. Split second later a car zooms by running their red light. We would have been T boned with the other car doing ~45mph. Turns out 8 computer eyes are better than my 2 human eyes. While lots aren’t perfect with our Teslas, they are one of the safest cars out there and iteratively becoming safer.
Yeah part of it is certainly habits. Test driving a Y with regular wheel and stalks was simple with not much of a learning curve. Driving the X with yoke and no stalks was a bit strange.

So the X doesnt have a cameras on the underside of the side mirrors pointing down looks like most cars that provide 360 view. The existing side mirrors point back at traffic for blind spot etc. Seems like a holdover design from when the cars had USS?

Have automatic parking on wife's Mercedes. Have used it 2 times in 3+ years for spots I could've easily paralleled into. I do wish the new Tesla still came with ultrasonic sensors or they add a front bumper camera though.

Last edited:
It has cameras in the front fender pointing back/down & in the B pillars pointing forward/down.

What is missing is a camera in the nose. The front cameras at the top of the windscreen cannot see over the hood.

The auto-park is designed to back in, at least when it works. Parallel auto park is also questionable.

Personally, I’ve driven a large truck fir so many years before all the assistance stuff existed that I just back in all the time and really don’t miss the helpers.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
It has cameras in the front fender pointing back/down & in the B pillars pointing forward/down.

What is missing is a camera in the nose. The front cameras at the top of the windscreen cannot see over the hood.

The auto-park is designed to back in, at least when it works. Parallel auto park is also questionable.

Personally, I’ve driven a large truck fir so many years before all the assistance stuff existed that I just back in all the time and really don’t miss the helpers.
Yeah the issue is when you dont put the cameras under the mirrors they cant look forward only backward.

I do see they added a blind spot indicator in the A pillar on the new 3. So at least that looks to be an improvement in addition to the cameras that activate on the screen.
Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 8.40.34 AM.png