Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual chargers (duolader) use in NL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Sorry for English speak, not a native Dutch speaker!

Picked up my new Tesla S couple of days ago and enjoying driving it so far.

I had a question about using the public charging infrastructure. I live in Amsterdam and we do have couple of charging point in and around my neighbourhood. So far I have been using Type 2 charging cable at these point. However my S has the duo-loader option. For me to make use of this addon, what kind of charging points should I use - 11kW/7.3kW or other? Also, what kind of cable/adapter should I use? I have the red adapter and the type-2 cable. Do I need an extra one?

Thanks,
-skn-

Hi guys,

I had a question about using the public charging infrastructure. I live in Amsterdam and we do have couple of charging point in and around my neighbourhood. So far I have been using Type 2 charging cable at these point. However my S has the duo-loader option. For me to make use of this addon, what kind of charging points should I use - 11kW/7.3kW or other? Also, what kind of cable/adapter should I use? I have the red adapter and the type-2 cable. Do I need an extra one?

Thanks,
-skn-
You'll need a 22kW charger and a Type 2 cable capable of 3x32A (not all Type 2 cables are).

Hi guys,

Thanks,
-skn-

You can charge at 22kW rate by using a 3x32A type 2 cable (there are also 3x16A type 2 cables, which are thinner, and go up to 11kW). The UMC (with red adapter) can do only 3x16A, or 11kW.

----- update
beaten by pebell :smile:

Last edited:
How can I check if the type-2 is 3x32A? Is it mentioned on the cable itself?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

In the meanwhile Tesla NL confirmed that I have the 3X32A Type-2 cable. In retrospect I should have guessed it given how less time the charging was taking :)

Hi guys,

Thanks,
-skn-

If your Tesla was supplied with the blue Mennekes Type-2 cable you can charge at a rate of 22kW.
Unfortunately all public charging points in Amsterdam only supply 11kW max.

Ok, bummer for a while then I guess since all chargers next to house is 11kW :(
If you can get your own charging station installed at your home or office, opt for the 22kW version and you can charge with >100km/h. Most of the time 11kW will do just fine. I understood that some La Place restaurants have 22kW stations installed. For example the one near exit Leiden.

The dual chargers are not really needed for most situations.
People pick this option for the occasional situation they need to charge fast(er) then normal. (For example if you have to cross more than 300km a day traveling between customers and a supercharger is out of reach).
Or when you're on holiday. (Germany has lots of 22kw chargers for example).
Being able to charge at 100km/h instead of 50km/h means 3.5hours wait instead of 7-8 hours.

/edit : I would, at least once, look up a 22kw charger and test if those dual chargers actually work. Don't panic if it's only charging at 86km/h. This only means that you're lacking the "fix". This will be corrected in the future(for free) and is only temporary. With a few exceptions, everyone still requires this "fix".

The dual chargers are not really needed for most situations.

This is true if you can charge on three phase 400V.

In some parts of Belgium (I know this is a Dutch thread but I think it is safe to assume that you will cross the border on occasion :wink: ), you can only charge on single phase 230V. And in that case, it offers comfort knowing that you can charge at 32A (dual charger) instead of 16A (single charger).

This is true if you can charge on three phase 400V.

In some parts of Belgium (I know this is a Dutch thread but I think it is safe to assume that you will cross the border on occasion :wink: ), you can only charge on single phase 230V. And in that case, it offers comfort knowing that you can charge at 32A (dual charger) instead of 16A (single charger).

You're correct ! :)
The dual chargers will be very handy when you're traveling outside Netherlands and no 3-phase is available.
I took the dual chargers option because the Model S is my only car and I'm using it to go on holidays too.

I'd curse myself if I have to wait 8 hours instead of 4 hours because I wanted to be cheap while ordering the car.

You're correct ! :)
The dual chargers will be very handy when you're traveling outside Netherlands and no 3-phase is available.
I took the dual chargers option because the Model S is my only car and I'm using it to go on holidays too.

I'd curse myself if I have to wait 8 hours instead of 4 hours because I wanted to be cheap while ordering the car.

That is indeed the case with me as well. And of course there is a (slim) possibility that more 22kW charging points in NL and Amsterdam. I can only afford to buy one TS, so why not load it up (pun intended!) :)