Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging outside Tesla network is only for the braves!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me share my experience charging outside Tesla Supercharger network.

We had this Munchen - Konstanz roadtrip for a while. My wife came from Budapest to Munchen by train, I drove there from Amsterdam and picked up her and we continued our road trip to Konstanz/Moos/Singen (Bodensee) to meet up with our friends. I wanted to arrive to my friends with an almost fully charged car because they mentioned a few times that they want to try it out. I had two options:
  • take a short trip (35km roundtrip) to Schaffhausen (CH) and charging Tesla Supercharger there
  • using local charging points
I choose the second option. It was a mistake.

I did my research and turned out there is a chargin station next to the hotel we had our accommodation. After dinner I went down to the garage to initiate a charging... I use Bosch's ChargeMyEv app which is an aggregator app and you can start your session and Bosch takes care about communicating with different companies and system. You just have to tap here and there and magic. The reality is something different.

When I went down to the garage the app showed that the chargin station is working. However, the charging station displayed an error message. The second problem is that there is no or very limited mobile data is available. Luckily, the hotel's wifi was available in the garage. Anyway, I couldn't start charging. No problem. There are other stations in the town and I'll find one in the morning.

Saturday morning. The coffee is the most important. We found a coffee place in Oberlingen (other side of the Bodensee), 15 km away and I also saw that there are 5-10 charging stations (22kW) there. The charging state of my Tesla at this point was around 23-25% ish.
Coffee done, it was awesome. Let's charge. In the ChargeMyEv app I found a place with 4 chargers. When we arrived turned out that it is an underground garage, but the chargers are next to the entrance. We occupied the most inner one, and the hell started unfolding. No data in the garage, so Bosch's app can't communicate. There is free wifi. But, iPhone won't let you use wireless connection without any security. We let the cable plugged in to the charger and my Tesla and wen't outside to get some data connection, but we got to far away from the car/chargin station. So, we couldn't start the charging. We went outside, basically above the car, but we still can't start the charging. At this point I can't decide why we couldn't start the charging. According to GPS we were very close to the car, we had data connection, everything was plugged in... Maybe the app cached something, maybe it didn't get fresh status from the backend even though I restarted it many times... My wife, smart woman, figure out that she is going to share her data as hotspot with me, she stands next to the entrance where there was data, my GPS will be close the to charging station and will get data via my wife's phone... didn't work. Overall, after 20 minutes we gave up. The possible solution would be to use RFID. But, eventually, I will carry a small bag with all the RFID's of charging networks... no, thanks...

We continued our journey to our friends, car's charing state is around 16% -ish. We found a charging station, I connected the car, I opened Bosch's app and initiated a charging session. The app showed an error after ~30 sec and in the same time I heard that the chargin station does something and the charging started. The app showed that the station is occupied. It didn't know that I started the session and I has to stop it. I felt that this will be a problem... But, my wife was hungry and we took a short walk a restaurant and eat something. The food was great, but we couldn't pay by card and we didn't have any cash with us. In the Netherlands you can pay by card everywhere (if it is a MasterCard Credit you may have problems, if it is a Visa or Amex Credit Card almost sure you'll have problems). We called our friends and asked them to bring some cash.

When we went back to the car Bosch's app still showed that the charging station is occupied, but it didn't showed that I can stop the charging session. We were stuck there. It was obvious I have to call them. But, here is the problem. I can speak Hungarian and English, and I might be able to order some food or bier in German. My wife also can speak Hungarian and English, and some French. Do they speak English during the weekend? Germany is not the Netherlands where everyone speaks some English. Luckily, they have English customer service and I could talk to them. It turned out that this station is not a Bosch station so they can't reset it. Unfortunetely, they don't know the hotline number to the owner company, "It should be on the charging station", but they created a ticket. I have to say that the person we had our discussion was really helpful and she also suffered when she had to say that she can't help further.

At this point I have to describe the situation. The charging was ongoing. I could release the cable from my Tesla if I wanted, but the other end was locked in the charging station. A cable like this costs a few hundred euros, so not really an option to leave there, and it is not a European solution. Not to mention that they can easily figure out who initiated the charging session. I assume they store some data about the car.

We found the goddamned number... But, the dread again. Do they have a hotline during weekend? Do they speak English? And all the contingency if the answers are "no"... not a relaxing mental exercise... We called them, they reset the station and we could unplug the cable and we were good to go. During this session the charging state went up to 40%.
I still don't know how I'm going to pay for this session.

Since, the following day we had to take the trip from Singen to Munchen I told my wife that we are going to go to Schaffhausen to fully charge the car in order to take the Singen - Munchen distance in one go. She had a train to catch to Budapest and I wanted to minimalise the traffic risk as much as possible. The trip to Schaffhausen took 15 minutes from Singen, the charging took 40 minutes (watched Zootropolis) and another 15 minutes back to the hotel. This is 70 minutes. What burned 5 hours with the charging "experience" and the stress.

I came back to Amsterdam yesterday and in the morning I initiated a charging using Bosch app at a close charging station. The session started without any problem. Now stopping it failed. Another call to Bosch and the customer service guy was rude and told me to call the charging station owner company. 5 minutes later my cable was unplugged and I charged 50 kW and according to the invoice I received later I paid only for 8kW.

Overall, charging outside of Tesla Supercharger network is a nightmare. I don't understand Bosch. With this app they position themselves to a "we integrate every charging station for you" position, but unable to grow up to the task. Both cases are "eventual consistency" problems where you have a distributed system and you have to achieve that the system will show a consistent state and with high confidence your service can switch between these states (start charging, stop charging, show valid statuses, etc.). But, it doesn't happen. Working with eventual consistency is a pain, I know, this is my job. But, as a customer I don't trust in this app anymore. It doesn't do what it promises. If this is the charging experience outside of Tesla's network I wouldn't buy a non-Tesla EV. It is an unreliable piece of garbage.

I drove 2100 km during the weekend. I charged my Tesla 8-9 times at Superchargers across 3 countries. The only thing I can mention is that it took 2-3 secs more to start the charging in Germany than in the Netherlands or Switzerland.

29226474798_5e6a89204c_b.jpg

"Tesla Supercharger" by Open Grid Scheduler / Grid Engine is marked with CC0 1.0.
Admin note: Imaged added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Some Tesla have free unlimited super charging. These Teslas would most likely use the Tesla Superchargers. If the cars do not come with free super charging, they would probably use EA chargers since its a few cents cheaper. Maybe the Tesla owners your talking about already have EA monthly subscription so they think it's alot cheaper to use EA than using Tesla supercharger network. Also, why would they need to have the $4/month sub with EA? Could be they travel alot, and many of their destination don't have Tesla supercharger nearby, and the only ones available are EA.
Bingo! The Teslas I met at the EA CSS chargers were Tesla owners who had their $4/month subscription and were charging at EA instead of Tesla to get cheaper energy., One of the guys I talked to had a Model Y and no home charging, he said charging at EA saved him significant money over Tesla superchargers - according to the savings him paid for his CSS adapter already.

Reactions: petit_bateau
finally sounds like competition of EA vs TSC and this is good, charging while traveling needs to become completely uneventful, like the "old" days and petrol fill ups
This only applies to specific locations. A few folks don't understand how Tesla charges people supercharging rates. It's based on the locality. Some places are lower than others places. It varies. The rates are calculated on the avg costs of the local municipality around the area. And, if you own a Tesla Model S/X that doesn't have free supercharging, they still have 1000 supercharging free credits per year.

I am lucky to have bought a Tesla Model S that comes with free unlimited supercharging.

Let me share my experience charging outside Tesla Supercharger network.

We had this Munchen - Konstanz roadtrip for a while. My wife came from Budapest to Munchen by train, I drove there from Amsterdam and picked up her and we continued our road trip to Konstanz/Moos/Singen (Bodensee) to meet up with our friends. I wanted to arrive to my friends with an almost fully charged car because they mentioned a few times that they want to try it out. I had two options:
  • take a short trip (35km roundtrip) to Schaffhausen (CH) and charging Tesla Supercharger there
  • using local charging points
I choose the second option. It was a mistake.

I did my research and turned out there is a chargin station next to the hotel we had our accommodation. After dinner I went down to the garage to initiate a charging... I use Bosch's ChargeMyEv app which is an aggregator app and you can start your session and Bosch takes care about communicating with different companies and system. You just have to tap here and there and magic. The reality is something different.

When I went down to the garage the app showed that the chargin station is working. However, the charging station displayed an error message. The second problem is that there is no or very limited mobile data is available. Luckily, the hotel's wifi was available in the garage. Anyway, I couldn't start charging. No problem. There are other stations in the town and I'll find one in the morning.

Saturday morning. The coffee is the most important. We found a coffee place in Oberlingen (other side of the Bodensee), 15 km away and I also saw that there are 5-10 charging stations (22kW) there. The charging state of my Tesla at this point was around 23-25% ish.
Coffee done, it was awesome. Let's charge. In the ChargeMyEv app I found a place with 4 chargers. When we arrived turned out that it is an underground garage, but the chargers are next to the entrance. We occupied the most inner one, and the hell started unfolding. No data in the garage, so Bosch's app can't communicate. There is free wifi. But, iPhone won't let you use wireless connection without any security. We let the cable plugged in to the charger and my Tesla and wen't outside to get some data connection, but we got to far away from the car/chargin station. So, we couldn't start the charging. We went outside, basically above the car, but we still can't start the charging. At this point I can't decide why we couldn't start the charging. According to GPS we were very close to the car, we had data connection, everything was plugged in... Maybe the app cached something, maybe it didn't get fresh status from the backend even though I restarted it many times... My wife, smart woman, figure out that she is going to share her data as hotspot with me, she stands next to the entrance where there was data, my GPS will be close the to charging station and will get data via my wife's phone... didn't work. Overall, after 20 minutes we gave up. The possible solution would be to use RFID. But, eventually, I will carry a small bag with all the RFID's of charging networks... no, thanks...

We continued our journey to our friends, car's charing state is around 16% -ish. We found a charging station, I connected the car, I opened Bosch's app and initiated a charging session. The app showed an error after ~30 sec and in the same time I heard that the chargin station does something and the charging started. The app showed that the station is occupied. It didn't know that I started the session and I has to stop it. I felt that this will be a problem... But, my wife was hungry and we took a short walk a restaurant and eat something. The food was great, but we couldn't pay by card and we didn't have any cash with us. In the Netherlands you can pay by card everywhere (if it is a MasterCard Credit you may have problems, if it is a Visa or Amex Credit Card almost sure you'll have problems). We called our friends and asked them to bring some cash.

When we went back to the car Bosch's app still showed that the charging station is occupied, but it didn't showed that I can stop the charging session. We were stuck there. It was obvious I have to call them. But, here is the problem. I can speak Hungarian and English, and I might be able to order some food or bier in German. My wife also can speak Hungarian and English, and some French. Do they speak English during the weekend? Germany is not the Netherlands where everyone speaks some English. Luckily, they have English customer service and I could talk to them. It turned out that this station is not a Bosch station so they can't reset it. Unfortunetely, they don't know the hotline number to the owner company, "It should be on the charging station", but they created a ticket. I have to say that the person we had our discussion was really helpful and she also suffered when she had to say that she can't help further.

At this point I have to describe the situation. The charging was ongoing. I could release the cable from my Tesla if I wanted, but the other end was locked in the charging station. A cable like this costs a few hundred euros, so not really an option to leave there, and it is not a European solution. Not to mention that they can easily figure out who initiated the charging session. I assume they store some data about the car.

We found the goddamned number... But, the dread again. Do they have a hotline during weekend? Do they speak English? And all the contingency if the answers are "no"... not a relaxing mental exercise... We called them, they reset the station and we could unplug the cable and we were good to go. During this session the charging state went up to 40%.
I still don't know how I'm going to pay for this session.

Since, the following day we had to take the trip from Singen to Munchen I told my wife that we are going to go to Schaffhausen to fully charge the car in order to take the Singen - Munchen distance in one go. She had a train to catch to Budapest and I wanted to minimalise the traffic risk as much as possible. The trip to Schaffhausen took 15 minutes from Singen, the charging took 40 minutes (watched Zootropolis) and another 15 minutes back to the hotel. This is 70 minutes. What burned 5 hours with the charging "experience" and the stress.

I came back to Amsterdam yesterday and in the morning I initiated a charging using Bosch app at a close charging station. The session started without any problem. Now stopping it failed. Another call to Bosch and the customer service guy was rude and told me to call the charging station owner company. 5 minutes later my cable was unplugged and I charged 50 kW and according to the invoice I received later I paid only for 8kW.

Overall, charging outside of Tesla Supercharger network is a nightmare. I don't understand Bosch. With this app they position themselves to a "we integrate every charging station for you" position, but unable to grow up to the task. Both cases are "eventual consistency" problems where you have a distributed system and you have to achieve that the system will show a consistent state and with high confidence your service can switch between these states (start charging, stop charging, show valid statuses, etc.). But, it doesn't happen. Working with eventual consistency is a pain, I know, this is my job. But, as a customer I don't trust in this app anymore. It doesn't do what it promises. If this is the charging experience outside of Tesla's network I wouldn't buy a non-Tesla EV. It is an unreliable piece of garbage.

I drove 2100 km during the weekend. I charged my Tesla 8-9 times at Superchargers across 3 countries. The only thing I can mention is that it took 2-3 secs more to start the charging in Germany than in the Netherlands or Switzerland.

View attachment 928430
"Tesla Supercharger" by Open Grid Scheduler / Grid Engine is marked with CC0 1.0.
Admin note: Imaged added for Blog Feed thumbnail
I feel bad that you had this experience. I don't have this experience while driving through Europe. On the highway I only use SUC's but further I charge when I can. I have several cards but only use the Shell recharge. It works almost everywhere and with the free card you don't have to rely on phone reception. Germany is not the best place but you can find enough chargers. In France even the smallest villages have one or more chargers at or near the main square. Even in Italy you can charge at all touristic places and most off the time at a perfect spot close to the entrance while normal cars have to park sometimes miles away.
OK I do my home work. I look in the shell recharge app before I go somewhere so I know where to charge. In the app you can plan the route in maps and send that to your Tesla. Can't be much easier.

This is why I always carry a NFC card inside the car for EVgo, Chargepoint. Sure, not all charging stations are one or the other, but, it will atleast cover alot of them out there. However, I still very much prefer Tesla chargers over all others.
can you post more details on why an NFC card is needed as opposed to just having an account and credit card along wtih an adapter? And where to get?

can you post more details on why an NFC card is needed as opposed to just having an account and credit card along wtih an adapter? And where to get?
Just in case if you're in an underground garage with no cell connection? Or, in a place where you have no cell connection on the phone at all...For charge point, you can head to their side and request one. EVgo also has a card available. Circuit Electric for Canada has one, I find this is very valuable for Canada.

Just came back from a trip to germany/austria/italy with a tesla. Charging was overall a hassle outside of superchargers. Rented a tesla from sixt germany; didn't get an rfid fob (didn't even know that was a thing), only a shell recharge card I was supposed to link to my shell recharge account but that didn't work with the USA app store version. So basically I was on my own. Ionity I found an app for, but other than that I was largely out of luck. Trying to do some quick googling to get some sort of universal rfid app didn't net me any info to be honest, and I was busy trying to enjoy my vacation rather than trying to hunt a fob or other solution down. Hotels were useful as they sometimes gave fobs that charged to the room or had free charging onsite. But otherwise I only found one fast charger in Italy I could use that wasn't a supercharger and it was 90 cents euro a kwh. While it was nice to drive a tesla just like at home, the charging networks leave a lot to be desired outside of superchargers. Also, all the ionity stations I saw were full unlike superchargers. Before I started my trip, I naively thought it would be super easy to charge anywhere by looking at plugshare. The reality was that I couldn't use most of them because I had the wrong app store and no rfid fob. May just rent an ICE car next time and save myself the hassle.

• Informative
Just came back from a trip to germany/austria/italy with a tesla. Charging was overall a hassle outside of superchargers. Rented a tesla from sixt germany; didn't get an rfid fob (didn't even know that was a thing), only a shell recharge card I was supposed to link to my shell recharge account but that didn't work with the USA app store version. So basically I was on my own. Ionity I found an app for, but other than that I was largely out of luck. Trying to do some quick googling to get some sort of universal rfid app didn't net me any info to be honest, and I was busy trying to enjoy my vacation rather than trying to hunt a fob or other solution down. Hotels were useful as they sometimes gave fobs that charged to the room or had free charging onsite. But otherwise I only found one fast charger in Italy I could use that wasn't a supercharger and it was 90 cents euro a kwh. While it was nice to drive a tesla just like at home, the charging networks leave a lot to be desired outside of superchargers. Also, all the ionity stations I saw were full unlike superchargers. Before I started my trip, I naively thought it would be super easy to charge anywhere by looking at plugshare. The reality was that I couldn't use most of them because I had the wrong app store and no rfid fob. May just rent an ICE car next time and save myself the hassle.
I understand your disappointment.
But I can tell you that with a working Shell card, you would have had no hassle at all

The fact that Sixt did not give you anythingis simply stupid. How difficult can it be to provide every rental car with a good rfid, and then invoice it upon return. Just like they do when you do not fill up…, or probably like you paid for the superchargers.

Anyhow, there are still limited rentals available in full electric.
If you rent a plug in hybrid… nobody bothers to charge the car, and drive only on petrol.
Next time, ask them for a good rfid…

Get yourself a free card from Shell, Electromaps, or pay 10€ for the RFID card from Plugsurfing.
I think that you need at least 2 cards from other charging providers. The apps are a problem when you do not have a good connection.
An yes, Germany is weak on mobile phone coverage.
Electromaps only works half of the time, even with RFID... After all the *sugar* i have experienced i will overpay for Shell...

Thanks for the info. Does the shell recharge card not need to be linked to your app? The instructions from Sixt said to link it, but that wasn’t available with the North American version of the app. Is there a good way to get an rfid chip that works? Or an app that uses your phones rfid?

Thanks for the info. Does the shell recharge card not need to be linked to your app? The instructions from Sixt said to link it, but that wasn’t available with the North American version of the app. Is there a good way to get an rfid chip that works? Or an app that uses your phones rfid?
It is linked to your account, and with that account, you log into the app.
Shell works in a lot of places, but not sure if you can order the EU RFiD into the US.

Just came back from a trip to germany/austria/italy with a tesla.
One of the issues I've seen on a few videos is that charging providers are geo-limiting their apps, which prevents international tourists from downloading them as they aren't listed on their app store.

But I'd have thought if sixt provides a Shell card then that will work with Shell EV chargers, and they will rebill you.

In Australia sixt and hertz cars come with a Chargefox card which has a pretty decent network in Australia. Indeed on rural areas you need to go outside the Tesla network.

Reactions: timberlights
After reading this Post, This was the number 1 reason for my buying my tesla, I have used one public charger so far and its was just a web thing after selecting the units number, Worked flawlessly after adding credit. I test drove most of the new electric cars before ordering my tesla and I am so glad I did this .

Planning a trip from Central Scotland to South East London next weekend so will be a good test of tesla supercharges.

Reactions: kpanda17
Tesla just put out a new batch of superchargers with the MagicDock. Slowly rolling out DC charging compatibility with other NA EV's. So not only can Teslas charge at CSS stations, the reverse is becoming a reality. Perhaps magic dock deployment is just easier than releasing CCS to NACS adapters Elon said were coming for existing Fords EVs and other brands to enable them to charge on the supercharger network in 2024.

Think non Tesla using the magic dock puts these owners in the Tesla app for the payment
Gives them a taste of the superior Tesla ecosystem
The adapter will let the Ford owner use their own app and charge at Tesla

I like the magic dock for T

Think non Tesla using the magic dock puts these owners in the Tesla app for the payment
Gives them a taste of the superior Tesla ecosystem
The adapter will let the Ford owner use their own app and charge at Tesla

I like the magic dock for T
Tesla can just give Ford app an API to use stations with magic doc, so to the end user it would look like they are using the Ford app. Only V3 and later superchargers can speak CCS, so only those are even capable of using a potential adapter. Perhaps Tesla just equipping all capable chargers with MagicDocs is simpler and cheaper than dealing with aftermarket adapters. It would also be a clean way to tell which superchargers a Ford can charge at, since even with an adapter, a V2 or V1 supercharger will not charge a Ford. I am not sure whether the Urban superchargers can speak CCS protocol.