Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual screen with ipad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to share my latest project. I bought these laptop cell phone mounts off of Amazon ($9 ea) and mounted them to the back of my screen. They fold/swivel down for use and fold/swivel up to store. They came with the metal circular pads to go on the iPad.

Attachments

• 20210508_174458.jpg
    20210508_174458.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 421
  • 20210508_174506.jpg
    20210508_174506.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 320
  • 20210508_174525.jpg
    20210508_174525.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 317
  • 20210508_174530.jpg
    20210508_174530.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 314
  • 20210508_174602.jpg
    20210508_174602.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 333
I think it’s TapTes that makes a more expensive and polished solution for pre 2021 Model 3 and Y. It’s nice and I thought about it but the main screen does everything I need. I get that some people want extra gauges or what not that they can’t get on the main screen.

As a new Model 3 owner I've been looking everywhere for a place to mount an iPad like this. (The fold up lid from TAPTes looks really cool but doesn't work with the 2021 refresh Model 3.)

I'm surprised more people don't find a strong need for mounting an iPad. One thing I'm pretty disappointed about is the default Tesla navigation app. It's a) not very good (bad directions) and b) there's no way to get speed trap alerts. I need Waze for my commute, and I really need to mount an iPad to do it.

This looks like a nice solution in many respects. Are there any others you've come across? I've wished for something completely removable, like maybe a magnet based system to go on the lid of the center console, just in front of the wireless charging ports.

You could swap the center console back to a 2020 one if you wanted. Others have replaced their 2020 with the 2021. But this is complex, expensive, and overkill for more people. Then use the TapTes one.

There are tons of mounts that go into cupholders. Some quite fancy and complex. Easily removable.

There are also companies that specialize in dash / console mounts for phones/tablets/laptops. ProClip is one I've used many times. Mostly a decade or more back when infotainment didn't exist or was several thousand dollar add one. Unfortunately for 3/Y they currently only offer a mount for the spot behind the steering wheel, which since 3/Y don't have an instrument console this is where most mount something.

Center Dash Mount

You can also buy one of the various screens that mount there and use Apple CarPlay.

Wouldn't the ProClip mount in the center like that block the air conditioning even if you have the direction split?
The whole dash is a giant vent. But yes, it would block "part" of the vent. Which is also somewhat good since it would cool the tablet, esp with the sun beating down on it.

Remember, most cars don't push air through the steering wheel anyway since there is traditionally an instrument cluster there.

Does it charge wirelessly on the 21s while in there?

Edit : nevermind.. Read the Q&A and looks like it doesn't charge so you'd have to pull it out to charge.
ProClips uses a modular system.

Typically a base, like the clip for the dash, and a mount for your specific device. Some of the mounts have chargers, some don't.

In either case if your using a charging mount or non-charging you still need to attach a cable if you want to charge in the car.

It's easy enough to route the cable through the vent through to the USB inputs in the console. Or tap into a power supply in various locations.

Most anyone can turn and wrap the cable themselves. And for a cleaner install the dash vent pops on and off quite quickly and easily. Just watch some of the YouTube videos.