Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dusting grey S ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't do it! Just thinking of your idea terrifies me.

You will induce thousands of micro scratches all over the paint which you will not see initially unless you shine a flashlight and eventually those micro scratches will add up and your paint will be marred and look dull until you do a paint correction as eventually you will ruin your paint.

You need some form of lubrication to remove contaminants from paint or you will scratch the paint.

If you are absolutely lazy, your best best option is to buy a pressure washer and foam canon along with a super powerful leaf blower. You can get rid of 95%+ of the contaminants in 10-15 minutes without ever "touching" the paint.

1. Rinse with pressure washer thoroughly and remove all dirt. (2 minutes)
2. Cover car with a thick lather of foam with a foam cannon. (2 minutes)
3. Let foam do it's thing for a while (4 minutes)
4. Rinse thoroughly with pressure washer (2 minute)
5. Blow dry with a > 500 CFM blower. It's powerful enough to obliterate any water on the car.

Reactions: outdoors
.........easy answer.......

DONT DO IT!

If you don't want to wash it and its just dusty use one of those car drying blower machines or go for an exilerating drive aka fast and hope the dust comes off ( not suggesting that you break the law ;))

Here's one

BLO Car Dryer

There are a few on Amazon.com as well

Reactions: PhilDavid
I would never ever do it for paint.

Yet I do on my cars that are full Xpel. Have done so since the beginning. Our cars get washed every other day(dirt road). We dust the Xpel cars in the off days. I seal the cars twice a year with the stuff Xpel recommends. My cars still show darn well at EV events. No one would ever dream of the milage I have on them by the way they look.

I would never ever do it for paint.

Yet I do on my cars that are full Xpel. Have done so since the beginning. Our cars get washed every other day(dirt road). We dust the Xpel cars in the off days. I seal the cars twice a year with the stuff Xpel recommends. My cars still show darn well at EV events. No one would ever dream of the milage I have on them by the way they look.

i do it on a wrap, i havent washed my car in ages but it looks new

I use an electric leaf blower to dry. I haven’t tried the $200+ blowers but the leaf blower is cheaper and works well. I’ve used a foam cannon, that works well for dry dirt but some spots still need a little scrubbing. The waterless cleaner is awesome but it takes a bunch of microfiber cloths to make sure the cloth is rolled properly upwards as it is used so each bit of paint only sees clean dust free microfiber. It is great for trips. Some microfiber cloths will have binding on the edge and that binding isn’t as soft as the microfiber. I have self healing Xpel on hood and leading surfaces. When wet washing, I use 2 buckets and I have a piece of plastic light diffuser (used for fluorescent lighting) cut to fit the bottom of each bucket. That white plastic is a grid with ~1/2” (1cm) holes. It sits in the bottom of the bucket and allows grit to settle with the wash cloth kept well off the bottom. I actually use 2 stacked pieces of that plastic grid, it’s cheap. My car is white so doesn’t show every tiny mark as a black car would. I have a California duster but don’t use it. Mine seems infused with wax and makes streaks, not scratches, just wax streaks. I have not tried the distilled water rinse methods, but I might if I had a car show type car.