Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician in Montgomery County/Bethesda MD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have good experience with havepower installing my Tesla wall charger 2 years ago. Jason is very knowledgeable and addressed all my questions promptly. The install process was very smooth from start to finish with Loudoun county permit check at the end. Their quote was also reasonable compare to other quotes around northern VA. I am not sure if permit is needed at your area, but be sure to ask since some quotes does not include it.

We got quotes from Havepower, TriStar electric, and Tesla themselves. For a little context, we had a 60-70 foot run between our main panel and our carport, so all of the quotes came in really pricey. And we wanted to install the HPWC so we could claim the $700 EVSE rebate. I imagine if you just install a NEMA-14-50 that would not qualify: Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Rebate Program 2.0

Tesla seems to have a set price list: $1000 for install, $500 if you want a subpanel. And their work comes with a 4 year warranty. And they have Wall Connectors you can purchase as part of the install without needing to buy one and wait for shipping.

Havepower quoted us $1,300 without a subpanel. They were able to provide a quote just from photographs, which was nice. But we wanted a subpanel for future flexibility. We didn't want to redo a 60 foot run to install a different EVSE later.

Lastly, TriStar electric quoted over $3,000. I don't know why they were so much higher.

We went with Tesla's own installer. They still had Solar City email addresses, but the guy did great work. Snaked most of the cable through our basement ceiling and crawl space, so we're really happy with how it turned out. And now we're waiting for our $700 check in the mail from MD!

My neighbor got quoted by havePower, it was higher than the Tesla quote, so he went with Tesla and they used havePower to sub the work out... not sure who lost on that deal, but was a bit ... awkward?

And, without question, a permit is needed for this sort of major electrical install.

My neighbor got quoted by havePower, it was higher than the Tesla quote, so he went with Tesla and they used havePower to sub the work out... not sure who lost on that deal, but was a bit ... awkward?

And, without question, a permit is needed for this sort of major electrical install.

Plus if you want to apply for the state EVSE rebate, a photocopy of the permit is required.

Thanks folks. Got a quote from havepower, getting another from VP electric tomorrow.

And we wanted to install the HPWC so we could claim the $700 EVSE rebate. I imagine if you just install a NEMA-14-50 that would not qualify: Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Rebate Program 2.0

I asked the head of the program if installing a NEMA 14-50 alone qualified for the rebate...he just emailed me back,

"Yes that would be eligible- in that case you would just leave the equipment cost blank. Just make sure the picture shows the charging plug going into the installed outlet."

Thanks folks. Got a quote from havepower, getting another from VP electric tomorrow.

I asked the head of the program if installing a NEMA 14-50 alone qualified for the rebate...he just emailed me back,

"Yes that would be eligible- in that case you would just leave the equipment cost blank. Just make sure the picture shows the charging plug going into the installed outlet."

That's awesome. The people at the MEA seem really helpful compared to the MVA. In April one of their staff told me that they've only waitlisted about $200k out of the total program $1.2m so far, so come July 1 there will still be plenty of rebates left. No need to wait for July to submit, though. They sent me an email letting me know when my application was received.

Reactions: preilly44