Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says Tesla factory in China, operational in two years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a whole slew of articles today saying that Elon was quoted in China, saying he will have a working factory in china in two years. There is no direct source to the transcript or video of it... at least I cannot find one. Has anybody else been able to find this? I want to see the exact words he used in additional to other things he may have said.

Here is what WSJ has to say: Tesla Plans to Produce Electric Vehicles in China Within Two Years - WSJ

Last edited:
Reports say he spoke with Xinhua news... So these are closer to the source:

Back in March:
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-03/27/c_134103556.htm
..."We have a strong long-term commitment to China, and we tend to establish both local production and local engineering in China," Musk said. Localization could be possible "in three years", he said...

And on October 23rd:
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-10/23/c_134744451.htm
...In a previous interview with Xinhua, Musk said Tesla plans to localize production and engineering in China in three years. "That timetable is still approximately correct. It's my best guess," he said on Friday when asked if there had been any change of plans...
..."We are trying to put localized production in China. In the years to come, you'll see some fairly significant partnership announcements," Musk added...

I also saw some stories say things like "according to a transcript of his speech posted on Tesla’s verified Chinese social-media account."
But, when I translated the China blog ( 官方资讯 | 特斯拉ä¸*国 - Tesla Motors ), I didn't see any mention of this.
Anyone know some other "Tesla's verified Chinese social-media account." ?

On this trip he was also interviewed at the Tsinghua Management Global Forum interview:
ÌØ˹À*CEOÂí˹¿Ë£ºÌØ˹À*»ò½«ÔÚ2ÄêÄÚÔÚÖйúͶ²ú--IT--ÈËÃñÍø
...特斯拉汽车公司CEO马斯克在会上表示,预计还需要两年时间,特斯拉将实现在中国投产,扣除进口税等成本的特斯拉,购车价格可能只有如今的三分之...
...Tesla CEO Musk: Tesla or will be put into operation in two years in China...
... Musk, CEO of Tesla Motors said at the meeting, is also expected to take two years, Tesla will achieve in Chinese production, import duties and other costs deducted Tesla, car prices are likely to only two-thirds today...
Tsinghua link
...[FONT=&amp]The evening of 22 October [FONT=&amp]2015,
as one of a series of activities, Tsinghua University School of Economics and Management Advisory Board meeting of 2015, Tsinghua Management Global Forum was held in Tsinghua University Welch Allyn Building Auditorium.[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]Tsinghua University Advisory Board, Tesla (Tesla), co-founder, CEO and product architect, SpaceX CEO and chief designer, SolarCity chairman Andy Herron • Musk (Elon Musk) and Tsinghua University Dean Professor Qian Yingyi expand two hours wonderful dialogue.[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]The Forum also invited to the Department of Physics, Tsinghua University, Professor Zhu Bangfen academicians, automobile engineering professor Ouyang Ming Gao, Electrical Engineering and Applied Electronics Technology Department Head Professor Zeng Rong participate in the dialogue.[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]Tsinghua Management Global Forum by the Associate Dean of Tsinghua SEM, Freeman Chair Professor BaiChongEn chair...
...[FONT=&amp]Speaking of the prospects in the future when driverless cars, Musk believes that "three years, we can see the fully automated driving the car, which is no problem at the technical level, but will face problems in terms of government regulation."...
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:
Link to english translation of Chinese article referenced in Teslarati article:

Google Translate

- - - Updated - - -

Some facts may have been skewed in translation. At face value, the translation indicates that Tesla will be producing model 3 in China in two years, about the same time frame that model 3 production is to begin in the US. The China factory production line is to be the same as the production line in the US. Does this mean that Tesla will be establishing two brand new production lines at the same time? Unlikely!

Just a guess. Tesla will partner with a number of significant Chinese companies, and will have the support of the Chinese government. This will allow Tesla to significantly ramp up production, without needing to worry about any capital constraints, since much of the capital and machinery required will either be given to Tesla for free, or close to free. I suspect we will learn more about these arrangements before the end of November. I'm still amazed that analysts have decided to discounted the significance of Tesla Motor's partnerships in China. Anyone who thinks the Chinese government only supports Chinese companies doesn't understand China.

How else is Tesla going to ramp up production from 60,000 vehicles annually, to 500,000 vehicles annually in 5 years? Tesla is following every page of Apple's playbook.

Just a guess. Tesla will partner with a number of significant Chinese companies, and will have the support of the Chinese government. This will allow Tesla to significantly ramp up production, without needing to worry about any capital constraints, since much of the capital and machinery required will either be given to Tesla for free, or close to free. I suspect we will learn more about these arrangements before the end of November. I'm still amazed that analysts have decided to discounted the significance of Tesla Motor's partnerships in China. Anyone who thinks the Chinese government only supports Chinese companies doesn't understand China.

How else is Tesla going to ramp up production from 60,000 vehicles annually, to 500,000 vehicles annually in 5 years? Tesla is following every page of Apple's playbook.

But did you forget that Tesla loses money on every car they sell? :wink: