TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon says Tesla factory in China, operational in two years

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by brandeeno, Oct 23, 2015.

1. brandeeno

brandeeno Member

#1 brandeeno, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    There are a whole slew of articles today saying that Elon was quoted in China, saying he will have a working factory in china in two years. There is no direct source to the transcript or video of it... at least I cannot find one. Has anybody else been able to find this? I want to see the exact words he used in additional to other things he may have said.

Here is what WSJ has to say: Tesla Plans to Produce Electric Vehicles in China Within Two Years - WSJ

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#2 TEG, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    Reports say he spoke with Xinhua news... So these are closer to the source:

Back in March:
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-03/27/c_134103556.htm
    And on October 23rd:
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-10/23/c_134744451.htm
    I also saw some stories say things like "according to a transcript of his speech posted on Tesla’s verified Chinese social-media account."
    But, when I translated the China blog ( 官方资讯 | 特斯拉ä¸*国 - Tesla Motors ), I didn't see any mention of this.
    Anyone know some other "Tesla's verified Chinese social-media account." ?

On this trip he was also interviewed at the Tsinghua Management Global Forum interview:
    ÌØ˹À*CEOÂí˹¿Ë£ºÌØ˹À*»ò½«ÔÚ2ÄêÄÚÔÚÖйúͶ²ú--IT--ÈËÃñÍø
    Tsinghua link
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][/FONT]

3. doctoxics

doctoxics Member

Link to english translation of Chinese article referenced in Teslarati article:

Google Translate

- - - Updated - - -

Some facts may have been skewed in translation. At face value, the translation indicates that Tesla will be producing model 3 in China in two years, about the same time frame that model 3 production is to begin in the US. The China factory production line is to be the same as the production line in the US. Does this mean that Tesla will be establishing two brand new production lines at the same time? Unlikely!

4. drinkerofkoolaid

drinkerofkoolaid Active Member

Just a guess. Tesla will partner with a number of significant Chinese companies, and will have the support of the Chinese government. This will allow Tesla to significantly ramp up production, without needing to worry about any capital constraints, since much of the capital and machinery required will either be given to Tesla for free, or close to free. I suspect we will learn more about these arrangements before the end of November. I'm still amazed that analysts have decided to discounted the significance of Tesla Motor's partnerships in China. Anyone who thinks the Chinese government only supports Chinese companies doesn't understand China.

How else is Tesla going to ramp up production from 60,000 vehicles annually, to 500,000 vehicles annually in 5 years? Tesla is following every page of Apple's playbook.

5. sub

sub Member

But did you forget that Tesla loses money on every car they sell? :wink:

6. drinkerofkoolaid

drinkerofkoolaid Active Member

That is only true if you ignore the amount of cash Tesla is investing in increasing production, developing the Model 3, and preparing to ramp of production of the Powerwall and Powerpack.
    :confused:
    No idea what you're trying to get at.