Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV and Solar Related Policy Proposals Among US Presidential Candidates (and Fossil Fuel connections)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SteveG3

Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2012
US
found link to this re Mayor Pete's plans:

"Zero emissions vehicles. We will immediately enact more stringent vehicle emission standards, requiring that all new passenger vehicles sold be zero-emissions by 2035, and all heavy-duty vehicles sold be net-zero emissions by 2040. We will work to increase and enhance the electric vehicle (EV) tax credit to a maximum of $10,000 per vehicle, which will begin to phase out only when a certain percentage of vehicles sold in the U.S. each year are EVs. This will allow lower- and middle- income families to be able to afford cleaner vehicles. These consumer incentives will go hand in hand with incentives for building EVs and EV technology in America. Lastly, we will extend the EV infrastructure tax credit to build out charging infrastructure for interstate travel, multi-family housing, commercial and public buildings, and public spaces, to move beyond charging only in personal garages. Vehicle manufacturer transition. To secure American jobs and help manufacturers transitioning from conventional engine manufacturing to zero-emission vehicle manufacturing in America, we will offer technology transition loan guarantees for retooling existing automobile and powertrain assembly lines and boosting domestic manufacturing of innovative materials, batteries, and electric propulsion technologies. The future of transportation must be built in the U.S. by American workers with high-paying, high-quality careers."

https://storage.googleapis.com/pfa-webapp/documents/Climate-Plan-White-Paper.pdf

Last bolded part is an example of the point I made earlier in the week that it is likely federal funding efforts will be made to financially prop up and keep GM and Ford running through the transition from EVs. I thought it would take Germany and Japan doing this first for US politicians to call for this, but, right here in a 2020 candidate's plan today.

worth noting,

one of Biden's very first fundraisers... hosted by Jim Chanos.

End of May, 2019,

"Former Vice President Joe Biden is preparing for a June fundraising blitz in New York, where he will be joined by Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the investor Jim Chanos.

The main event of Biden’s trip will be at Chanos’ home, according to people familiar with the matter. Cuomo will attend and introduce Biden."

Joe Biden prepares for New York fundraising blitz with Gov. Andrew Cuomo and short seller Jim Chanos

Most people who currently can not afford a Model 3 or any EV at the moment will not get the dull credit anyway. An EV credit is only giving you back what you have paid in and it can not be rolled over like other credits so not much use to most people who can not already afford EVs at current prices.

In addition most people I know who are waiting for used Model 3s do not have the money to upfront the cost for new then wait for the credit the following year, which is why the 7500 credit wasn't much help for them either when it was available. Plus they would not have received 7500 since they didn't owe that much FED tax in the first place.

For it to really work for the masses either EV prices still have to drop or the credit has to be a credit at purchase turning it more into a subsidy. The trolls would jump all over that even tho it would really be helping GM, Ford and the others. I say that because by the time this new credit would get put in place used Model 3s would already be 10K cheaper and they will probably still be better than anything else the "big three" could ever dream of putting out.

• Helpful
Reactions: LN1_Casey
Most people who currently can not afford a Model 3 or any EV at the moment will not get the dull credit anyway. An EV credit is only giving you back what you have paid in and it can not be rolled over like other credits so not much use to most people who can not already afford EVs at current prices.

In addition most people I know who are waiting for used Model 3s do not have the money to upfront the cost for new then wait for the credit the following year, which is why the 7500 credit wasn't much help for them either when it was available. Plus they would not have received 7500 since they didn't owe that much FED tax in the first place.

For it to really work for the masses either EV prices still have to drop or the credit has to be a credit at purchase turning it more into a subsidy. The trolls would jump all over that even tho it would really be helping GM, Ford and the others. I say that because by the time this new credit would get put in place used Model 3s would already be 10K cheaper and they will probably still be better than anything else the "big three" could ever dream of putting out.

I think this is a really great point that a lot of more well off people don't understand about a lot of my generation. 7.5k is often much more than the entire year's tax owed, since our income is sub-40k.

Further, even if we got the full 7.5k, we still have to finance the car in the first place. The month to month payment is the non-credit amount (which is why I hate the dual 'monthly payment' calculator Tesla does) since we won't see the credit until that year's tax cycle, which is likely months away.

I will say it helps out with the used market, however. Someone who could afford the full price of their Model 3 and got the tax relief to the full extent may be willing to sell the Model 3 for less because of it. Volume would help more, however.