Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV battery swapping is dead in US, but not in China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nio-power-battery-swap-3-e1542296752837.jpg

Bloomberg reports this week that the Chinese government is stepping up efforts to establish common industry-wide standards that would allow drivers to swap out EV batteries in a matter of about three minutes. According to the report, the goal is to make the process uniform across any car, any battery, and any facility.

EV battery swapping is dead in US, but China wants to make it happen - Electrek

So the argument against that is who owns what battery or does it become a service if a service incentive to take good care is diminished

How this play out in the batterygate/chargegate situation? Yes an argument can be made that it would simplify getting the bad stuff out of circulation, or would it cause additional troubles once people realize they have a suspect one and want something better.

Under communism sure it makes sense to have the pack not belong to the person the government let have a car this week, elsewhere not so much.

Under communism sure it makes sense to have the pack not belong to the person the government let have a car this week, elsewhere not so much.

I think you express an entirely mistaken view of communism (Chinese or otherwise) and it's role in ownership. The vehicle is not owned by the government, and neither is the battery. The Chinese government is merely encouraging battery swap services to become available. Any other government could do the same, if it wanted to.

Reactions: linux-works
I think you express an entirely mistaken view of communism (Chinese or otherwise) and it's role in ownership. The vehicle is not owned by the government, and neither is the battery. The Chinese government is merely encouraging battery swap services to become available. Any other government could do the same, if it wanted to.
No I don't think the government owns the car, but at the same time you have to be "allowed" to own a vehicle.

I think you are being a little rosy about what "ownership" means under communism.

No I don't think the government owns the car, but at the same time you have to be "allowed" to own a vehicle.

I think you are being a little rosy about what "ownership" means under communism.
The Chinese version of communism is not Lenin's version of communism. It is certainly totalitarianism with no independant judiciary, rule of law nor freedom of speech but they have lifted hundreds of millions of people out of poverty and are selling more EVs than anywhere else on earth. They also have a very functional high speed rail system and. not so ironically, highly developed facial recognition algorithms.

It may not be rosy but the middle class Chinese that I have met, while traveling there for the past eight years, are happy.