Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Shank Lug Nuts for 18” Aero Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so I have been having a terrible time trying to find quality extended shank lug nuts so I can add a 5mm spacer on the rear wheels.

I found a set on Amazon, but they were of poor quality so I returned them.

I found these on Lug Nut Guys which look high quality, but the tapered section isn’t near the size of the OEM lug nuts so there’s going to be much less contact with the wheel.

Model+ sells a set of spacers with lug nuts, but they won’t sell the lug nuts separately.

Questions:
Does anyone know of a more OEM style extended shank lug nut?

If not, do you think these lug nuts are strong enough to work with the 18” Aero wheels?

Attachments

• 0D94B129-DD02-4E40-B215-B4048F4241E6.jpeg
    0D94B129-DD02-4E40-B215-B4048F4241E6.jpeg
    542.2 KB · Views: 173
  • F0133676-251D-4AB5-87FE-CDE1B2DC363F.jpeg
    F0133676-251D-4AB5-87FE-CDE1B2DC363F.jpeg
    526.6 KB · Views: 108
They look like they are made for 1/2"-20 or M12-1.5 instead of the M14-1.5 needed by the Tesla lugs, but after zooming in on your picture and measuring I realize it's probably an illusion. If they are M14-1.5, then I'm guessing they are probably these Open End ET Style Bulge Acorn Lug Nut 14x1.5. The problem with them is that the conical section is shorter than the Tesla OEM ones in order to make them smaller in diameter in order to be universal. By being smaller in diameter, they will fit a lot of wheels that have smaller lug nut holes. I don't know if the smaller engagement area on the conical surface makes it more likely for Tesla wheels to crack there or not, but you can see that the 5 options for extended lug nuts from Lug Nut Guys all state that they don't work with factory/OE wheels.

I think most likely those lug nuts would work fine. I have a set of FastWheels EV01+ wheels that came from the vendor (Canada Wheels) with a set of smaller diameter lug nuts to fit their smaller lug holes. I could fit the bigger OEM lug nuts into them, but the black plastic lug nut covers barely fit on the nuts and it's a little harder squeezing the removal tool in to pull them off. So I've used the smaller lug nuts the past two winters (the FastWheels are my winter wheels) with no issue. These Lug Nut Guys nuts are possibly a bit wider based on the bigger 13/16" wrench size and the 0.75" extension diameter shown in the photo, but the listed specs for width/diameter and shank width are the same as the others Open End ET Style Bulge Acorn Lug Nut 14x1.5 13/16" Hex.

Here are pictures of my OEM Tesla vs aftermarket Canada Wheels lug nuts, of which I've been using the aftermarket with my winter wheels.
IMG_20220214_064039260.jpg IMG_20220214_064137522.jpg

Edit to add that Gorilla has extended lug nuts as well, but it doesn't seem like the tapered section is any wider than the Lug Nut Guys nuts (see the 26048ET at the end Gorilla Automotive Products). Can buy these here Gorilla Automotive® 26048ET - Chrome E-T/Ultra Seat Small Diameter Duplex Open End Lug Nut

Last edited:
Reactions: medphys3
Ok, so I have been having a terrible time trying to find quality extended shank lug nuts so I can add a 5mm spacer on the rear wheels.

Why do you need them?
Can you not get 8-9 full turns of attachment from the factory lug nuts with those spacers on?

To do it correctly, you want to go with longer M14x1.5 studs!

I found these on Lug Nut Guys which look high quality, but the tapered section isn’t near the size of the OEM lug nuts so there’s going to be much less contact with the wheel. [...]
If not, do you think these lug nuts are strong enough to work with the 18” Aero wheels?

If the lug nut's interface area with the wheel is not the same as that of OEM nuts, then the stock torque settings go out the window together with the attachment reliability.
I would not touch them with a 10-foot pole.

Try these: Do You Know the Accurate 2023 Tesla Model 3 Lug Nuts Size?.

HTH,
a