Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Famous Danish Technology Show "So ein Ding" takes a Tesla for a roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what I think about this program (I do speak and understand Danish):

This guy is a confessed ICE enthusiast, and he made every possible mistake and every possible stupidity using a P90D without even doing a simple research about the car and its functions or how to supercharge it and when, and in general, it looked to me that he HAD to show that EV range anxiety is real by trying to run out of juice (probably deliberately!), and at the same time to promote a Toyota fuell cell car! This is very bad journalism, sorry!

Here is a run-down of what is wrong with this program:
- No mention of charging at home (no need for external "refuelling" for everyday driving)
- Going to Germany without a "Schucko" socket (or any other adapter for emergency charging) is really dumb!
- No mention of "Range mode" to reduce consumption.
- Nothing about using supercharger stops to take a rest and have a cup of coffee while charging
- Nothing about destination chargers.
- Praising Toyota's inefficient idea about using stored electricity to produce hydrogen, instead of using the electricity to charge the car directly, which makes more sense and is more efficient.
- Nitpicking about the USB interface current! These USB interfaces are meant for audio, not for charging, and if a higher current is needed, a simple 10$ 12V "lighter socket" to USB adapter solves this problem! And, there is NO 2amp USB standard! Where did he get this info from? A simple Google search resulted in the following:

Quote [The USB 1.x and 2.0 specifications provide a 5 V supply on a single wire to power connected USB devices. A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and 150 mA in USB 3.0. A device may draw a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0; 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0. 5 volt half an amp.]
Only dedicated charging USB interfaces can give higher amperage.

- The navigation does need an improvement regarding ferries, but it is correct for travelling by land.
- Remaining battery charge indicator is quite reliable if he had set it to "typical" instead of "rated".
- He was using a 90kWh battery and barely managed to reach superchargers? Did he do this on purpouse by constantly launching using ludicrous mode? I never EVER ran out of juice between superchargers using a 85kWh battery which gives me a comfortable 350-390km range driving normal speed limits (no hypermiling)! According to evtripplanner.com, he only needed 1 supercharger stop to reach Berlin!

I say the whole program was either poorly researched, produced with bad intentions or was sponsored by Toyota!

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler