Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing - Tesla Vs Third Party? Is it complicated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I am planning ahead for the financing portion as soon as I get my VIN. I plan to apply directly through Tesla initially, see what rate I get approved for and then apply through my own credit union and compare.

Question is, if I apply through Tesla, do I need to accept their offer on the spot? Or does it give an option to put that to the side and shop around?

And, if I did accept Teslas offer of financing but then found a cheaper rate and wanted to change to my CU prior to delivery, is that an easy process?

Thanks so much!

One advantage of the Tesla finance is how fast they are.
We applied through our CU who do loads of Teslas, but they said it would be 3 to 5 days and require proof of income etc. Tesla offered pickup in 48 hours.
So we went with Tesla, and it took 30 minutes and I simply had to review and accept in the app.

My credit union was actually faster and significantly better than Tesla while requiring almost nothing from me. I went in, gave them the info on the car I wanted and they said I was fully approved taxes and fees included as soon as they pulled my credit score and printed me the check on the spot. Tesla was brutal and only wanted to finance 70% at nearly double the APR. That's only after having a simple credit card with them for a year too.

My credit union was actually faster and significantly better than Tesla while requiring almost nothing from me. I went in, gave them the info on the car I wanted and they said I was fully approved taxes and fees included as soon as they pulled my credit score and printed me the check on the spot. Tesla was brutal and only wanted to finance 70% at nearly double the APR. That's only after having a simple credit card with them for a year too.
A year ago rates where much different.

Tesla Financing is quick, integrated, and can be highly competitive with credit unions. That last one is probably closely tied to your credit score. We've had two Teslas, did Tesla Financing for the first one, but saved enough with a credit union to go with that on the second one (a few months ago).

Tesla Financing is quick, integrated, and can be highly competitive with credit unions. That last one is probably closely tied to your credit score. We've had two Teslas, did Tesla Financing for the first one, but saved enough with a credit union to go with that on the second one (a few months ago).
Thanks so much! The challenge I have is my debt to income ratio thanks to my joint mortgage. I think I’ll be approved but won’t know until I apply! Credit is very good.