Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 12K Service - now my Charging Numbers are Strange

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I just took my Model X in for its first 12K service. Before I took it in I was getting Between 267-263 miles per charge on the 90% - it has been colder here in the Chicago area so the number was always closer to 263. And then on a full charge I was getting 293-295............I thought those numbers were great.

Now, since I have gotten it back from service my numbers have significantly decreased. Full charge on 90% was 255-260 and on full I got 288................

Does it just need to re-calibrate? I know the cold weather makes a difference...........any insight would be great.

The cold weather here in Chicago will def throw things off. If you're inclined, you can run it down to 10% or so and the do a charge to 100%. I've had to do this a few times and I've often slowed the charge rate down to 30a.

FYI - it could take more than 1 charge session from 10% to 100% to get it re-calibrated.

Full charge on 90% was 255-260 and on full I got 288

My general advice is to not look at those numbers. When I first got mine, I was confused by around the second day as to what those numbers meant, so I switched to percent and started getting consistent numbers.

There's just no way for any meaningful distance value to be derived from a state of charge. From the same SoC, I could drive a thousand miles gently down a hill, or a hundred miles aggressively up one, but it will always be 90% to 20% or whatever. Entering an actual destination at a particular time of day and driving "normally" generally gets me a very good prediction of the SoC at my destination.

My general advice is to not look at those numbers. When I first got mine, I was confused by around the second day as to what those numbers meant, so I switched to percent and started getting consistent numbers.

There's just no way for any meaningful distance value to be derived from a state of charge. From the same SoC, I could drive a thousand miles gently down a hill, or a hundred miles aggressively up one, but it will always be 90% to 20% or whatever. Entering an actual destination at a particular time of day and driving "normally" generally gets me a very good prediction of the SoC at my destination.

Exactly. It is interesting however that you noted such a large discrepancy right after the service visit. As someone mentioned above, call the SC and see exactly what they did. But again, I don't really look at max miles now.

I did run it down to about 11% on Saturday.............still didn't do it...........I try not to rely on the "miles" too much but it is a gauge and a nice estimate for my "simple mind".........