Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Post: Im looking at a used 2010 and am wondering what the market value is?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its a 2010 Roadster, Silver Metallic, Adjustable Suspension, Electronics Group option, Premium Interior, and Executive Leather. I believe he paid $129K for it here in California at the Tesla Store. It's got 3200 miles and the guy has everything that came with the car including a cover.

The title is clean and the car looks immaculate. The owner has all the service records and is also a car enthusiast. He's got several very high end cars and we spoke about some of the past cars in his stable, very impressive. I dont doubt the car is a good find, but what can I expect to offer him?

Keep in mind that if you buy new, you can get the $7,500 federal tax credit so take that into account.
There is (was?) a State of California incentive as well. The only thing that maybe a bit worn out after 3200 miles are the tires. Depending on their wear, you should knock a few hundred dollars off... Take a few percents off new price for the battery wear. So, try offering 100K and be ready to spend 115K ~ 120K.

There is (was?) a State of California incentive as well. The only thing that maybe a bit worn out after 3200 miles are the tires. Depending on their wear, you should knock a few hundred dollars off... Take a few percents off new price for the battery wear. So, try offering 100K and be ready to spend 115K ~ 120K.

There was a grey 2010 with low miles on ebay, and it didn't sell for 95k BIN. Unless it's a sport, paying over 100k for a used one is nuts.

The one I saw was in CO. It had the adjustable suspension, but it was a while back. Never did sell. There is a big difference between 100k and 115k. California has a $5k rebate i think, in addition to the $7.5k tax credit. Thats $12.5k savings right there.

I think $115,000 for a used 2010 Roadster is a little high. At that point, you might as well get the 2.5 with the updated 7" touch screen radio and take the Federal and state incentives for almost the same price. There are some differences between the 2.0 and 2.5 Roadster too so need to think about that as well. Plus you can order exactly what you want if it's a new car and the wait is down to 10-12 weeks.

The only discount I see is $7,500 off. Is CARB still giving out HOV access stickers? Are they transferable?

EDIT: I see it, $7,500 fed and $5,000 state.

Last edited:
The only discount I see is $7,500 off. Is CARB still giving out HOV access stickers? Are they transferable?

EDIT: I see it, $7,500 fed and $5,000 state.

The HOV stickers are still available here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg1000.pdf There is an $8 fee... If you cross a toll bridge on a regular basis, this is a great deal. Note that if you are getting a roadster in a color other than white and install the stickers as per the instructions they will be UGLY.

I think the used prices are finally getting to a more reasonable level from when I looked even only 3 or 4 months ago. It used to be people were asking for a 2010 model at basically the same price as a new car (after tax credits).

I think the used prices are finally getting to a more reasonable level from when I looked even only 3 or 4 months ago. It used to be people were asking for a 2010 model at basically the same price as a new car (after tax credits).

Of course owners are interested in having the value of their cars stay as high as possible. When they stop making the Roadster you can expect the cost to stabilize and then rise. I'm sure further down the road that it's 244 max mileage will be laughable but a classic is always a classic.

Of course owners are interested in having the value of their cars stay as high as possible. When they stop making the Roadster you can expect the cost to stabilize and then rise. I'm sure further down the road that it's 244 max mileage will be laughable but a classic is always a classic.

I'm glad the value has been so high for used cars for so long. That's a good sign since it shows how in demand the car is. I just meant that for me, when I was looking to buy, it lead me to go ahead and order a new car since the difference wasn't that great.

I'm sure further down the road that it's 244 max mileage will be laughable but a classic is always a classic.

I wonder if Tesla will offer higher capacity replacement battery packs for their original Roadster.

I'm also very curious to see how much the age of the battery pack will relate to the resale price on the car. In theory a Roadster with 100,000 miles on it ought to be worth more than one with 70,000 miles on it if the former has a brand new battery pack installed. The real number I'd care about as a buyer is "miles on this battery pack".

I'm also very curious to see how much the age of the battery pack will relate to the resale price on the car. In theory a Roadster with 100,000 miles on it ought to be worth more than one with 70,000 miles on it if the former has a brand new battery pack installed. The real number I'd care about as a buyer is "miles on this battery pack".

That's pretty much how private pilots view aircraft purchases. Hours on the engine.