Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Founder Series Power Wall 2 For Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received the limited, red, hand-signed Power Wall 2 today. It is sitting on a palette in storage, untouched. I have not opened it but I am told it is hand-signed by the legendary Elon. We are in a townhome and our home owners association will not allow me to install it (which is silly). This is after I accepted delivery. If interested in more, you can DM me.

Just received the limited, red, hand-signed Power Wall 2 today. It is sitting on a palette in storage, untouched. I have not opened it but I am told it is hand-signed by the legendary Elon. We are in a townhome and our home owners association will not allow me to install it (which is silly). This is after I accepted delivery. If interested in more, you can DM me.

An aside from the core of your post but important since you brought it up...

I'm super curious to hear what the objection of the HOA is and how they can enforce that if it's in your garage. I know HOA laws vary state to state and of course each HOA has their own rules - I was on an HOA board (and as President for more than half) for a 100+ unit condo complex and I could go on about crazy people and rules :)

An aside from the core of your post but important since you brought it up...

I'm super curious to hear what the objection of the HOA is and how they can enforce that if it's in your garage. I know HOA laws vary state to state and of course each HOA has their own rules - I was on an HOA board (and as President for more than half) for a 100+ unit condo complex and I could go on about crazy people and rules :)
You and me both! I plan to challenge it at the next board meeting.

I live in a townhouse, and I have three Powerwalls in my garage and 10 panels on my roof. In California, the HOA can only get involved in anything on the outside of the property so I had to work with them on the panels, but the Powerwalls are all inside my garage and didn't need any HOA or neighbor approval. I'm in an end unit, and my Powerewalls are installed on the shared wall with my neighbor.

• Informative
Reactions: Macbest
You and me both! I plan to challenge it at the next board meeting.

While challenging, bring a copy of your CCNR and ask them to point out which article of the CCNR restrict you installing the Powerwall or any sort of stationary storage unit. I guarantee they will point to something that can be interpreted in many ways. If it is vague, let them know that your lawyer will review it, and ask them to engage their own HOA lawyer to do the same (at their cost of cost).

I am not sure they can even oppose solar panels legally. They certainly cannot restrict TV antennas on the roof.
I have HOA for homes not townhouses, and we went through that, they cannot but can ask to make it inconspicuous if possible.
Solar may have similar federal protections.

So, don't sell yet.
ps. also, may want to contact your congress person to research federal law about this solar on roof and refusal by HOA.

Last edited:
I am not sure they can even oppose solar panels legally. They certainly cannot restrict TV antennas on the roof.
I have HOA for homes not townhouses, and we went through that, they cannot but can ask to make it inconspicuous if possible.
Solar may have similar federal protections.

So, don't sell yet.
If the HOA is responsible for the repair/maintenance/replacement of the roof then they don't have to allow panels or satellite dishes on them. This would apply to townhouse type units with common walls.

If the HOA is responsible for the repair/maintenance/replacement of the roof then they don't have to allow panels or satellite dishes on them. This would apply to townhouse type units with common walls.
That is no longer true for solar panels on California. We have a law that prevents from saying NO to solar panels. They can ask homeowner to comply with rules they have but it is illegal in California to say NO.

HOAs know this. They just don’t advertise that they must allow solar panels.

Reactions: charlesj
That is no longer true for solar panels on California. We have a law that prevents from saying NO to solar panels. They can ask homeowner to comply with rules they have but it is illegal in California to say NO.

HOAs know this. They just don’t advertise that they must allow solar panels.
It depends on the type of property in the HOA. I also have a home located in an HOA and they can't decline solar panels or satellite dishes. The roof is my responsibility.

I appreciate all of this amazing advice. Love this community. The roof is a definite no. Cant even have satellite dishes here. So the other factor at least for me regards the fact that; is a Power Wall without solar defeating the real purpose and advantage?.

Correct. The have responsibility for the entire exterior. Even those areas not in view. That gave me absolute hell when I had power run for the wall charger for my cars. The conduit exited a wall for 3 feet. Small, aluminum conduit and they sent letters and had all sorts of grief. I just ignored them and they went away.

Correct. The have responsibility for the entire exterior. Even those areas not in view. That gave me absolute hell when I had power run for the wall charger for my cars. The conduit exited a wall for 3 feet. Small, aluminum conduit and they sent letters and had all sorts of grief. I just ignored them and they went away.
I was able to pop a hole through the main electric service meter area into my garage. Nothing for the HOA to see. If you don't have frequent outages I would just sell the power wall. At my other property I have 2 powerwalls and they have been used due to outages.

I appreciate all of this amazing advice. Love this community. The roof is a definite no. Cant even have satellite dishes here. So the other factor at least for me regards the fact that; is a Power Wall without solar defeating the real purpose and advantage?.

if I was in that situation, I would likely sell it or trade it for something of similar value. I love the powerwalls I just had installed, but I wouldnt have gotten them if I lived in a townhouse / condo, or if I didnt have solar to go with them.

Whether its worth it depends on your electric bill structure. Since your location says "texas" and it appears to me that texas has some of the cheapest electricity for a big state in the nation (it seems to be somewhere between 4 times and 10 times cheaper than california, for example), I dont personally think a powerwall without solar makes sense in such a location.

Due to how taxes for the selling / buying party (1099's and such) may work, you may have an issue getting what you likely consider to be "fair value" for it, though,. They cost 6500 for example to buy from tesla, so many people assume that they can just turn around and sell them for 5k or 5500 and everyone wins because someone saves 1k and the person who doesnt want it gets a large chunk of change.

I dont know what these go for, but if you have received it now, you are the one who is going to get the 1099 for it (you mention its in your storage), so you need to take the taxes you are going to pay for that into account when you price it.

The other thing is, most people who would want to buy this from you likely already have a powerwall installed, so dont need the gateway (an 1100 value), and Its my opinion it would be difficult to sell the gateway to someone without the powerwall, so there is that catch 22 (sell the powerwall, gateway becomes virtually useless to sell to someone, but person buying powerwall likely wont want to pay for it as they have one already).

Finally, I have no idea how the install credit works since you have already taken delivery (if that credit is transferable for example).

Anyway, good luck with selling it. I have 2 of them and wish I had purchased 3 so if you were local to me, I might consider it for the right price, but im not interested in trying to get it shipped etc.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: charlesj
I was researching this issue further and stumbled on this brief about the law:
Solar Panels on Common Area Roofs; Have a Policy Yet?

The way I see this you may be able to install the panels.

and this:
https://www.hahasmart.com/blog/87/california-condo-owners-can-now-install-solar-panel-systems
The OP is in Texas so don't think California law will help him.

I used this law to get my HOA to understand that they are NOT allowed to say NO to solar panels. They can advise me on the conditions that I need to meet to install it, and then it's up to me to meet those.

That's how I got my 10 panels installed.

A number of years ago now we “convinced” our HOA when we were in a townhome to allow our installation of a satellite dish. I think there was some government push back then to permit everyone who wanted one to get it since it fell under Communications. We knew our HOA couldn’t turn us down if we agreed to certain steps, like painting the cable dish wire to match the wall area it was on, agree to take down and repair all holes when we moved. Basically be responsible for returning the outside to its original form. Understandable as we also would want others to do the same to keep the outside of the buildings looking attractive. No idea if solar everywhere outside of Calif. has a similar push But would be worth looking into. Even our city’s building code now is that all new residential units be built with solar.

of course out here in SFBay area and I think in southern Calif with power companies now shuuting down counties’ electricity due to high winds in fire season, the state govmt and local areas have more incentive to keep people powered by solar/back up batteries or with generators. Smelly, noisy diesel generators are not a favorite. With covid now in the picture being able to office from home is important as well as not having to throw out food from refrigerators and freezers.

Last edited:
So @HGHVLTD your situation about the HOA in Texas bothered me. Just looked this up on Texas HOAs and Solar installations. Maybe your HOA is behind the times?

“About twenty four states, including Texas, have solar access laws that limit HOAs from banning solar panels. These laws override the HOA contract that restricts you from going solar. There are two types of solar access rights that protect a homeowner’s right to install solar: solar access laws and solar easements. They both protect your right to harness energy from the sun but address different concerns.”

The link from this provides the Texas legislation for this.

HOAs and Solar Panel Installations