Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging trip * McAllen TX to Austin TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the opportunity to take my first "Free Supercharging" trip to Austin, which is about 660 miles round trip in my 2023 Model 3 RWD. It has a nice full range of 264 miles which is a improvement over my previous 2021 Model 3 SR+ with a range of 230 miles.

With a full charge it was pretty easy to get to the Three Rivers Supercharger, 163 miles. Weather was mild in March so the range was improved without the heat and the winds. The computer said I could charge fully there and get to Austin, but I cut it short to charge in San Marcos, which was pretty easy. Surprisingly there was a huge line on the exit to get to the New Braunfels Buc-ee's and Supercharge, so I drove the extra 10 miles to San Marcos. Lot of good charging options as you get to the Austin area. Once in Austin, I checked out the Sunset Valley Supercharger but it was slow due to high capacity so I just topped off. Would not recommend that particular charger.

Not much driving around Austin, and I made my way back 2 days later. On the way back I went right by the South Interstate 35 Supercharger (I-35 and Slaughter Lane) so I got a top off there. Right by a Target, @vanjwilson which was particularly nice inside.

Then I hit the remaining chargers for some quick stops, New Braunfels' (the aforementioned Buc-ee's) where I saw a Cybertruck leaving, Three Rivers again, and a final stop in Alice, TX. The Alice Supercharger is off the main N/S Highway 281 so it does not get much traffic. As a result I got my best charging numbers there and was in and out in 5 minutes. Back home with 30 miles to spare.

An extra stop or two is no big deal to me, and it is pretty nice to know there is a free benefit, at least until June (end of 6 month free Supercharging period).

In short it is probably worth it to upgrade just for the free Supercharging benefit that is currently being offered. It's going to be LONG time before any other charging system gets even close to catching up with Tesla. So in the meantime, enjoy the surplus!

"Austin - Frontage Road" 9500 S IH Frontage Road (near Target)
IMG_2220.JPG

Cybertruck in New Braunfels, TX
IMG_2221.JPG

Alice TX Supercharger
IMG_2229.JPG

Awesome - I make the drive up and down 35 and 37 often. Just went to Corpus this week and charged in CC for the drive back to SA. When going north I always hit Bucees as they have so many chargers and are never full. Went to Houston today and stopped at Bucees in Katy both ways - my bladder is my limiting factor, not the range. 😜

Reactions: Solar Windman
Awesome - I make the drive up and down 35 and 37 often. Just went to Corpus this week and charged in CC for the drive back to SA. When going north I always hit Bucees as they have so many chargers and are never full. Went to Houston today and stopped at Bucees in Katy both ways - my bladder is my limiting factor, not the range. 😜
I agree - no sense in driving distracted!

I had the opportunity to take my first "Free Supercharging" trip to Austin, which is about 660 miles round trip in my 2023 Model 3 RWD. It has a nice full range of 264 miles which is a improvement over my previous 2021 Model 3 SR+ with a range of 230 miles.

With a full charge it was pretty easy to get to the Three Rivers Supercharger, 163 miles. Weather was mild in March so the range was improved without the heat and the winds. The computer said I could charge fully there and get to Austin, but I cut it short to charge in San Marcos, which was pretty easy. Surprisingly there was a huge line on the exit to get to the New Braunfels Buc-ee's and Supercharge, so I drove the extra 10 miles to San Marcos. Lot of good charging options as you get to the Austin area. Once in Austin, I checked out the Sunset Valley Supercharger but it was slow due to high capacity so I just topped off. Would not recommend that particular charger.

Not much driving around Austin, and I made my way back 2 days later. On the way back I went right by the South Interstate 35 Supercharger (I-35 and Slaughter Lane) so I got a top off there. Right by a Target, @vanjwilson which was particularly nice inside.

Then I hit the remaining chargers for some quick stops, New Braunfels' (the aforementioned Buc-ee's) where I saw a Cybertruck leaving, Three Rivers again, and a final stop in Alice, TX. The Alice Supercharger is off the main N/S Highway 281 so it does not get much traffic. As a result I got my best charging numbers there and was in and out in 5 minutes. Back home with 30 miles to spare.

An extra stop or two is no big deal to me, and it is pretty nice to know there is a free benefit, at least until June (end of 6 month free Supercharging period).

In short it is probably worth it to upgrade just for the free Supercharging benefit that is currently being offered. It's going to be LONG time before any other charging system gets even close to catching up with Tesla. So in the meantime, enjoy the surplus!

View attachment 1029966

View attachment 1029968

Alice TX Supercharger
View attachment 1029969
I had a business trip in that region of Texas, and seeing how Tesla setup a Supercharger in Three Rivers (assuming it’s the place I’m thinking lol) is a testament to the company’s commitment to make long distance travel possible. This Supercharger is literally in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: Kohan
That's a good point!! The bladder and the stomach may be the limiting factor in driving mileage!

View attachment 1029966

View attachment 1029968

Alice TX Supercharger
View attachment 1029969
How many Supercharger miles did you use for this trip? How does that compare to odometer miles? I ask because I got some free miles that I will be using for a road trip in a couple of months. Thanks.

How many Supercharger miles did you use for this trip? How does that compare to odometer miles? I ask because I got some free miles that I will be using for a road trip in a couple of months. Thanks.
When I bought in December 2023, the promotion was for "6 months free Supercharging". There is a expiration date listed on the "Charging" tab. Since then, the promotion is for "5,000 miles free Supercharging" I would expect that would be tracked also on the Charging tab. It may also just go by odometer miles. Good question!

When I bought my Model Y back in June 2021, the promotion was "Use someone's referral, and you both get 1,000 free supercharging miles". I'm not certain, but it seems like Tesla used a simple 1 kWh = 3 miles conversion when I supercharged, until those were used up.

Reactions: holmesm1