Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free trials of autopilot coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watched the shareholders meeting and noticed Elon saying they are going to offer free trials of autopilot to owners who haven't got it.
hopefully it will come with a sweetener to buy at a discounted rate.

Good idea, Sky have been using that strategy to sell upgrades for years e.g. a month's free subscription to Sky Sports and Movies. Offering a free month trial of AP will probably convert into quite a few extra sales. It's one of those features that you didn't realise you needed until you try it and then get hooked!

As for a discounted rate, that's what you get when you buy it with a new order. Otherwise I reckon a lot more people would buy the car without AP with a view to trying it later and then probably never bother. So I can't see that happening, except maybe if you buy it within say 12 months of the original car purchase. Basically get more of those people on the fence to buy in.

Bit annoying that you have to pay so much for it.

Buy the German car then. If enough people are willing to pay for AP then as far as Tesla is concerned that's the price. I would much prefer to have 10x fewer customers, if they would pay 10x the price.

Will the German car work on the non-dual carriageway, rural, A-road-but-barely near my house, reduce speed for the temporary speed limit they've just put up (and speed up again as it exits the limit), and go round the (very sharp) double bend reducing speed appropriately? Even my two-year-old AP1 can do that.

You'll probably think that Tesla servicing price is outrageous too. So buy a Jag iPace ... dirt cheap servicing ...

Either you like Tesla's minimalist cabin / supercharger network / big screen / whatever ... or not ...

Reactions: Terry_B58 and DJP31
Bit annoying that you have to pay so much for it. Buy a German car at half the price of a Tesla and get it as standard.

What? Pretty much nothing is standard on a "German" car! For example Porsche adaptive cruise with traffic jam assist (steering up to 37 mph) and LDW is £3,200 on a Panamera and not as capable as AP. A *sugar* ton of gear standard on a Tesla are paid options on most German cars too!