Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold SOLD: 2020 Model S Performance FSD 19k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, I’d stick with the lesser value car since you loose as much money as it depreciates. I have from $93k down to 70 now. It can still go tens of thousands more down. Where as you only have $40-50k in a MY or M3 it can only drop so far. MS though is a nicer and faster car. But you play the price.

Keeping the car for now unless I can sell it with minimal loss.
probably the best decision, enjoy the car! We can't buy cars like this expecting them to hold value sadly. We get the depreciation of cellphones (aka, technology improvements) coupled with typical vehicle wear/tear depreciation.

IMG_1536.JPG
IMG_1537.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG
IMG_1544.JPG
IMG_1545.JPG
IMG_1543.JPG

Reactions: saj070 and TLLMRRJ
probably the best decision, enjoy the car! We can't buy cars like this expecting them to hold value sadly. We get the depreciation of cellphones (aka, technology improvements) coupled with typical vehicle wear/tear depreciation.

$33k in a year in a half depreciation is hard to swallow. Not exactly like a cellphone wear and tear/depreciation. I still do love Tesla's. I had a 2015 MS P85D and my wife has a 2021 MYLR.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Yea, I’d stick with the lesser value car since you loose as much money as it depreciates. I have from $93k down to 70 now. It can still go tens of thousands more down. Where as you only have $40-50k in a MY or M3 it can only drop so far. MS though is a nicer and faster car. But you play the price.

Keeping the car for now unless I can sell it with minimal loss.
Happy you're keeping it. That's just life. Also where did you get the steering wheel wrap from?

$33k in a year in a half depreciation is hard to swallow. Not exactly like a cellphone wear and tear/depreciation. I still do love Tesla's. I had a 2015 MS P85D and my wife has a 2021 MYLR.
It is very hard to swallow, that is for sure, but not abnormal for luxury/high end vehicles. The depreciation isn't exactly like a cellphone, but more similar to technology rather than a typical auto manufacturer.

Here is my logic:
When Chevy or Toyota comes out with a new model for a truck, let's just say the Tacoma, everyone knows it is coming for a while, probably a year or two! In that time, the price and deals for the old version will come down a bit, people have time to sell/buy, depreciation will occur fairly slowly. Also, the differences between model changes is really small. Maybe some trim changes, button locations, but the technology doesn't change much. We have all bought old-school ICE cars/trucks, I am sure we are all aware of the process and how it works. No one really knows what a brand wants for their cars. Incentives come and go, but nothing like a permanent change, like with Tesla. That is a good/bad aspect to the pricing model Tesla uses. Personally, I like it, but it can bite people in the rear.

Technology on the other hand is different. Let's say you buy the iPhone 6. A good phone, you got it when it was new, paid $500 for it. That phone will stay at that value, and you can probably sell it for ~20% less without an issue until one of two things happens. If Apple decides to drop the price by $100, you will now be able to sell yours for ~20% less than the new sticker price, no matter what you paid! And the tech gods may laugh at you... Apple may drop the price by $100, and then the next day announce the iPhone 7. This could all happen erratically and a month or two after you get the phone. That phone you paid $500 for may be worth $100 or less months after you bought it due to poor timing and a release of new tech.

Because of the pricing model and the drastic tech changes, Tesla tends to mimic the technology depreciation model more IMHO. Sadly, that depreciation tends to be a % not a $ amount, so the more expensive the tech, the more depreciation $$ the buyer eats.

You have me confused. You sold your MS when the market was high, and bought a MY when the market was high.

Now the market is in the dumps for both the MS and the MY. So you could sell your MY for peanuts and lose a lot of money, but you would be able to buy a MS for peanuts and save even more money than you would lose on the Y.

Since the MY MSRP is half the price, you will do better financially moving up to the more expensive MS that has depreciated a larger absolute dollar amount than the MY.

What's the issue?
Good Point, but with the rebates on the MYLR and what I've spent on the car I would take about a 40% hit from what I see in the market. Used MYLR less than 40K now...the price of new MS is tempting