Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta - Geographic Differences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's interesting to see someone so sure of the answer to a future problem not yet solved. I'm guessing from all of your (few) posts that you're paid by or have some financial stake in TomTom. Why not another HD map provider? And by real time do you mean constantly downloading gigs of HD map data? No cellular provider would allow that at this point. Otherwise, current HD mapping goes out of date too quickly. What about dirt roads? Private roads (last mile to many residences/offices)?

The point being, HD maps is not clearly the solution unless you ignore its pitfalls/shortcomings. Tesla and some others aim to have a generalized self-driving system. It doesn't mean everywhere has to be mapped/seen before, but it does mean enough differences need to be seen to be able to better guess the general/new circumstance.
I’m interested in self driving cars for years and I’m investing in shares of TomTom, Tesla, Nvidia, Xpeng, VW, etc it’s not about TomTom, the main question is if HD Maps are needed for fully self driving cars?

You don’t need gigs of data to use OTA real time maps. You only need real time updated HD Maps for the area where you are driving. In a tunnel you are not connected and need HD Maps as well. FSD starts at highways and robottaxis will only be used in HD mapped cities by start ups.

Microsoft is working on the Connected Verhicles Platform (MCVP)…. and Azure Maps, this will be launched next year and be used by VW and Nissan. Tesla did a great job in the time there was no 5G and I have a lot of respect for Elon and his way of thinking. But Tesla need a new approach and platform in the near future to avoid legacy and survive their competitors

But Tesla need a new approach and platform in the near future to avoid legacy and survive their competitors
Can you explain what they should do about all the current cars ?

BTW, its good to be a little more humble when it comes to technical problems not yet solved. I take it you are just interested but not an expert on AV, right ?

Its great that different companies are pursuing different strategies and not falling into one herd mentality.

Humans don't use a "online HD map" - they just use vision. No reason cars need "online HD maps". This has been argued over, over and over here for years. Why don't you search and read all those posts ?

• Disagree
Reactions: trisk and TresLA
There will be a lot of innovation on the path to achieving autonomous vehicles. There will be successes and failures along the way. If we could erase all of the present day transportation infrastructure we would very likely not build it back the same way due to technological progress which is accelerating us into the autonomous driving future we are trying to reach.

Can you explain what they should do about all the current cars ?

BTW, its good to be a little more humble when it comes to technical problems not yet solved. I take it you are just interested but not an expert on AV, right ?

Its great that different companies are pursuing different strategies and not falling into one herd mentality.

Humans don't use a "online HD map" - they just use vision. No reason cars need "online HD maps". This has been argued over, over and over here for years. Why don't you search and read all those posts ?
I’m not an FSD expert but I read a lot of articles for years, also on this forum. I think Elon would like to start again for new cars and models , but in that case he has a problem with the existing Tesla owners who paid $10k for the FSD feature. Sort of passed the point of no return and a sticky wicket. I will keep following this forum and will not post and reply anymore to respect this forum.