Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full PPF or Front PPF and Full Ceramic Coating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have your other cars PPF'ed perhaps go with that. If you didnt PPF your other vehicles, why are you considering it on this one? I am still a bit confused at people rushing to PPF these cars as if they are appreciating assets / collector cars (whatever elon says notwithstanding).

With that being said, there are a lot of posts about PPF and opinions etc, if you search here for PPF, you will find a lot of opinions. Mine is "do whatever you did on your other vehicles".

Upvote 0
I had ppf installed on the front, hood, fenders, headlights, outside rear view mirrors. Very glad that I did. I like the added protection it gives the car.. In the Fall I'm thinking of having the doors done. Mudflaps are doing a great job so far on protecting the rocker panels after 4,000 miles.

Upvote 0
I'll be the contrarian and say PPF isn't really justified on an <$50k car. I researched and decided against it for my long range. Granted I only have like 600 miles on it so far but I'm flooring it from complete stops and not a single chip anywhere yet. These cars definitely deliver with fresh, semi-uncured paint on them though. You'll need to be careful for the first few weeks ... I got some water spots that I had to wipe off with vinegar and water before I got a chance to put a coat of wax onto it. If you don't mind hand washing (using 2 bucket method, microfiber mitt and a grit-guard) and hand waxing then the car should stay looking great for years without PPF or ceramic coating.

Reactions: megansblonde
Upvote 1
I'd recommend just getting PPF on the front bumper, hood, and fender

I did my whole car, but I did it myself... which is kind of a mistake. PPF application is an artisan skill, and after 30 hours (and back pain) invested into it, I would have just paid someone else to professionally PPF only the high wear areas, and do ceramic coat myself on the rest of the car. After 30 hours of on hand PPF installation (and probably 20 hours of watching youtube videos) I'm still just at the B- level. Might as well pay a A+ pro to do it and not have to stress.

One thing that "cured" me of my desire to dump a ton of money into my car was I got a loaner car from Tesla which was my exact same car... and it was beat to *sugar*. Like a 2018 owned by a lazy dude who lived by the beach and never washed or something. Made me realize even when fully neglected, a Model 3 looks about the same from a distance.

Reactions: MG535
Upvote 0
I had never heard of PPF - or ceramic coating (is there a difference?) - until I started looking at this forum. How much does it typically cost for a Model 3? What are the main benefits - protection from chips and dings, or just appearance (shiny, etc.)? Thanks.

It just protects the paint from rock chips and what not. I've had my Model 3 for a few months now and the PPF has already done its job.... and I have to replace it lolol. Lots of highway construction in summer apparently.

It's a bigger issue for older Model 3s with thinner paint, but newer paint seems to have corrected all the issues

To do your complete front end, pro shops are charging like 1-1500.

I'm 40 hours into learning how to install PPF, having had to install certain panels more than once already, and I'm still not perfect at it.

Reactions: joebruin77
Upvote 0
When it comes to "paint protection", there are very cheap options, like buying a $9 bottle of Turtle Wax Seal and Shine, and very expensive options like PPF and professionally-installed ceramic coatings.

How important is keeping your paint free of rock chips, blemishes, scratches, and swirls? If you feel like your Tesla is just a car, no big deal if it gets a few imperfections in the paint, and you'd rather spend your money on something else, then I suggest skipping both PPF and ceramic coatings. Go with the Turtle Wax Seal and Shine or some other inexpensive sealant or wax and call it a day.

If the thought of rock chips appearing on your front bumper or rocker panels turns your stomach, then consider at least a partial PPF. PPF is indeed very expensive, but it also offers the unique property of self-healing. If you scratch your paint, the PPF will self heal and the scratch will magically disappear in the heat of the sun. And even if the PPF tears, it often still protects the paint underneath. It is much cheaper and faster to replace a piece of PPF than it is to have a panel repainted at a body shop.

A ceramic coating can be thought of as a semi-permanent sealant. It makes washing your car much easier and faster, and you do not have to reapply a wax or sealant every 3 to 6 months. But you still have to wash your car and you do have to apply a ceramic boost spray every 4 to 6 months.

Professionally-installed ceramic coatings can be pricey, in part because the paint needs to be polished and possibly corrected before the coating is applied. If you want to save some money, you can apply a ceramic coating yourself. Many people do this, but be aware that ceramic coatings are not very forgiving. If you leave the coating on too long or leave some high spots, the only way to correct such mistakes is to polish off the coating and start over.

I have posted these videos elsewhere on TMC and that's because I think they are two of the most informative videos on PPF and ceramic coatings:

Upvote 0
It cost more than repainting basically.
Maybe, maybe not.

1) Keep in mind PPF can self heal over and over again. If you repaint a damaged panel, the panel can get redamaged again, especially in a vulnerable area such as the rocker panel.

2) With some types of damage, PPF can prevent the need for repainting all together. I had a major ding to my right fender. If I had not had PPF on it, the fender would have needed to have been repainted for sure. But the PPF absorbed the impact. It was strong enough that the PPF could not self heal. But it only cost $125 to reapply the PPF and was finished in 1-2 hours.

Upvote 0
Never had PPF or ceramic coating on my previous cars. For my SR+, I got the front bumper + headlight PPF (Suntek Ultra) for ~$500 since the front is very exposed without a grill. Initially considered getting it ceramic coated, but since I wash it pretty often, I just apply the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray Coating (~$14) every month or two.

Upvote 0
I was planning on taking my car straight from delivery to the shop to have PPF applied. Is it advised against to allow the paint to fully cure just in case?
Check the date the car was manufactured, as indicated on the sticker inside the driver's side door. As long as at least 30 days has past, you should be fine to get PPF installed shortly after you take delivery.

Upvote 0