Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas tax alternative(s) for EVs (US)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much to work it's all turnpike. The bottom line is I'm not saving any money swapping to a Tesla. The money I spent on upgrading and charging and difference from my gas vehicle would take 10+ years to break even. I did it because I like the car and want to support the company doing something that will eventually be better for the planet. I'm not complaining though life isn't fair and my purchase doesn't need to somehow cheat the system. Just saying I hope they don't make it cheaper to drive an ICE vehicle because they tax the hell out of EV's or people will never even try them.

Me I have the means to try something new and waste some money. But the EV market should push towards reaching people that could use a break in their life and save some money to make their lives better.
At this point part of the problem with EVs is they’re a difficult proposition for anyone that lives in an apartment, condo or an older house with a 100A service. EVs were starting to come down in price and Tesla created the Model 3 with the goal of having an affordable EV but then the market and supply chain went haywire and nothing’s affordable. Also, for a lot of people the only car they can consider is a used car and there really aren’t any affordable used EVs at this point, either.

Hopefully that starts to change. What I suspect will happen is more and more stores will have EV Charging stalls that allow people to charge while they shop. That alone will be sufficient for many people.

Passenger Vehicles

If your vehicle year is 2000 or newer, find your vehicle’s combined MPG rating at fueleconomy.gov.
Add together each fee type that applies to your situation to get your total fee.

You can pay a flat fee in Oregon of $316 a year for an EV or go to a program that charges 1.8 cents per mile. It is cheaper to pay the 1.8 cents generally. OReGO.com

Fee TypeWhen Fee is Due for Passenger VehiclesFee
PlateVehicle does not have Oregon plates$24.50
Registration/Renewal*Vehicle year is 1999 or older$126
Vehicle year 2000 or newer, has a combined rating of 0-19 MPG$126
Vehicle year 2000 or newer, has a combined rating of 20-39 MPG
$136
Vehicle year 2000 or newer, has a combined rating of 40 MPG or higher**
$156
Vehicle is all electric**$316
CountyYou reside and/or the vehicle stays in Multnomah County
$112
You reside and/or the vehicle stays in Washington or Clackamas County$60
Transfer PlatesMoving Oregon plates onto another vehicle (you will also owe the registration/county fees if you do not own the vehicle the plates were removed from)