Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giro Disc Rear 2-Piece Rotor differences? M3/M3P | MY/MYP | Mountain Pass Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys know the difference between Giro-Disc rear rotors?

Neither of these have specs to distinguish thickness, diameter (assuming stock size), or compatibility with 2023+ MYP Rear Mando calipers

Reactions: Theraven
You guys know the difference between Giro-Disc rear rotors?

Neither of these have specs to distinguish thickness, diameter (assuming stock size), or compatibility with 2023+ MYP Rear Mando calipers
The Emotive site has rear rotor offerings and a good blog post of the differences:

Reactions: hyp36rmax
BTW, I had a similar question a while back that I asked Essex, here is the email exchange, hope it helps.

Me:
Model 3 rear brake info... I'm getting confused, multiple sources say you can use the Performance rear rotors with the base calipers but then most aftermarket companies have 2 different sku's for rotors?

The Emotive Engineering page has a-lot of good info:
https://emotive.engineering/blogs/the-logbook/tesla-model-3-brakes-upgrade-guide
* M3P with PUP - rear rotor is 2-piece 355mm x 20mm
* M3 non PUP - the rear 1-piece rotors measure 335mm x 20mm. The rear rotors are the same size as the Performance rotor which allows for the lighter 2-piece Performance rotor to be used on the Base model.

@JRitt
The info you provided matches up with our research. What they don’t tell you, however, is that the radial depth of the rear discs and pads is different. The Performance disc faces are taller than the Long Range/RWD, and the rear pad is also taller. That means if you run the Long Range calipers and pads on the Performance rear discs, it’s going to leave a band of unswept surface area on the inner edge of the disc since the pads won’t hang down as far. Leaving an unswept area on the disc face is fine for daily driving and won’t cause any major issues. It will just create a groove on the disc face where the pad ends. It’s not ideal for track driving however, as the unswept area runs cooler than the swept area of the disc, creating a temperature gradiant across the disc face. That can lead to premature cracking. Since you’re only driving on the track once in a while, it might not be a major issue, but you need to be aware of the details prior to making a decision.

The Emotive site has rear rotor offerings and a good blog post of the differences:
This was a great resource thank you! I didn't think to check out Steve's site for more info, I bought his GM Brembo kit.

Reactions: Cce32
BTW, I had a similar question a while back that I asked Essex, here is the email exchange, hope it helps.

Me:

@JRitt

The rear 1-piece rotors measure 335mm x 20mm. The rear rotors are the same size as the Performance rotor which allows for the lighter 2-piece Performance rotor to be used on the Base model.

Interesting. Rear rotors are the same size between Performance and Long Range at 335mm x 20mm. Possible to use Performance Rotors on a Long Range, not the other way around according to MasterC17

For the Rear, a cool upgrade no one is talking about is you can use the Performance Rear Rotors with the Base Calipers. It drops about 3lbs per rotor and looks nicer; I am running this setup on my wife's car. Both the Performance and Base Rotors are the same OD (335mm), however the Performance Caliper uses a larger pad. You CANNOT use the Base Rotors with the Performance Calipers.

Although it's possible to use Performance Rotors on Long Range calipers, it will create uneven wear on the rotor disc due to the the size of the pad. In the case of MYLR and 2023+ MYP with rear Mando calipers, it's best to use the base rotors. (assuming the same with M3 and M3P now)?

I'm going to pick your brain here. I'm about to embark the same CTS-V BBK setup that I purchase from someone here.

I actually bought the performance rear caliper and EPB harness from Tesla (That was harder than entering North Korea)

Which rear stainless steel line did you buy? Did you have to buy the full set, or were you able to just buy the rear separately?

Reactions: hyp36rmax
I'm going to pick your brain here. I'm about to embark the same CTS-V BBK setup that I purchase from someone here.

I actually bought the performance rear caliper and EPB harness from Tesla (That was harder than entering North Korea)

Which rear stainless steel line did you buy? Did you have to buy the full set, or were you able to just buy the rear separately?

Great question! I bought the stainless steel lines as a set from Emotive. Steve can get you what you need. Send him an email directly: [email protected]

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on that Rear caliper install, been wanting to do that. The main caliper with EPB harness. Since the rear calipers function the same between the brembo and mando variant, i opted to just put a red caliper cover for aesthetics.

Great question! I bought the stainless steel lines as a set from Emotive. Steve can get you what you need. Send him an email directly: [email protected]

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on that Rear caliper install, been wanting to do that. The main caliper with EPB harness. Since the rear calipers function the same between the brembo and mando variant, i opted to just put a red caliper cover for aesthetics.
Argh, I've been talking to Steve trying to get a custom Spiegler line for the rear, but he needs measurement first.

So you end up just not using your front stainless brake line from the set, since it is a tad short for the BBK? I recall you bought the kit from Emotive, which already comes with a custom Spiegler front brake line.

Yeah, I spend way too much trying to get the rear performance caliper, now it is mainly for aesthetics like you said.

I still have a couple hurdle to overcome before I can get them installed. Since I bought them from another member here, the front caliper still need to be re-threaded using time sert. And then trying to find a shop to powdercoat them. The front is now yellow and rear is red. 😅

Argh, I've been talking to Steve trying to get a custom Spiegler line for the rear, but he needs measurement first.

So you end up just not using your front stainless brake line from the set, since it is a tad short for the BBK? I recall you bought the kit from Emotive, which already comes with a custom Spiegler front brake line.

Yeah, I spend way too much trying to get the rear performance caliper, now it is mainly for aesthetics like you said.

I still have a couple hurdle to overcome before I can get them installed. Since I bought them from another member here, the front caliper still need to be re-threaded using time sert. And then trying to find a shop to powdercoat them. The front is now yellow and rear is red. 😅

I used the kit from Steve. Front and rear lines he provided worked out great. Perhaps there may be size differences with the rear brembo caliper? I imagine it's the same length.