Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glove box not opening properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past few weeks the glovebox has failed to open properly. It unlocks and pops down about 5mm away from the dash, but then you have to get your fingers inbetween it to pull it down. Has this happened to anyone and is it a simple fix? I am wondering if my son kicked it too hard when he was in the front and its buggered something up.

First thing, I would not use any force on the lid! Secondly, as of the description it might be so that your son have messed up the content of the glovebox and some of the items are now in a way to get it open. Take care on prying it open and remove the obstacle blocking the hinge section. If you use force then you will broke the lid and the only way to get it fixed is to purchase the whole unit (yes, you can’t get just the lid). It is very poor design by Tesla! Good luck.

I still have warranty but cannot sort out a service request for a few weeks as im busy out an about. It will be mid feb until i get around to raising it and having availability. I was hoping at may be a "oh yea the arm gets lodged, just give it a wiggle" kind of thing which i can rectify quickly enough. I need to change the cabin filter soon so i will take a look when i do that.

I took out all the contents, and tried it, but it didnt make a difference. It will open without barely any force, its just it used to open all the way, but now it opens ajar and now needs a slight nudge to get it all the way down.

You might have already the mechanism broken or something is not right with the hinges. The poor design by Tesla is in the lid hinge section. If some items (like pencils or similar) get in the way during closing you end up with broken part. Take a close look at the lid and see if there is nothing blocking the way. If it’s clear then see the hinges, are they in proper position and the closing is normal?