Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Graphene batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read with great interest about the use of Graphene to enhance battery technology. Graphene sulfur batteries seem to be a possible better alternative to Lithium ion battery technology. Some researchers claim the increase in efficiency and charge rates could allow a 500 mile battery development. I saw somewhere that perhaps Tesla is working in this direction, perhaps with the planned Gigafactory production. Anyone have any info to share? I found the material to be quite interesting.... if viable, it could catapult the electric car into the forefront and spell the death note for the ICE. What do you all think?

Battery "breakthroughs" are regularly reported. Few make it into production. Some very promising new designs have failed when it was discovered that they could not hold up after hundreds of charge cycles, or they could not be economically scaled up to produce large quantities, or whatever. Maybe the new design you mention will make it, maybe not.
Batteries will continue to improve, but the progress tends to be gradual. Major leaps forward are uncommon and hard to predict.

ecarfan-
I live in Richland,WA.... we have a large research base here, PNNL, and some ground-breaking scientists in the area ( we have the LIGO here, you may have heard of the recent announcements about gravitational waves heard). I will do some more checking on this- I think I know some researchers that have been involved in new electrode research.
rdstr