Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Greetings from Bay Area, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings from the East Bay Area, CA,

Been lurking on the forums a few months now and finally created an account. My husband and I have been looking for an SUV-type of vehicle and the Model Y is the only car I am agreeable to. The Model Y will be our first electric vehicle and this forum has been a great resource for learning about Tesla. I placed an order for a Model Y white, black interior, 20" inductions, with tow hitch. Hoping to take delivery in January 2021!

Reactions: house9 and EinSV
Thank you Bruce. Nice to get a welcome from someone in the same town :) I will not be home charging so would appreciate any local Lamorinda tips for EV charging.

That's great, neighbor! You probably have noticed there are a lot of Tesla owners in Lafayette...some are here on TMC also.

Charging an EV depends somewhat on your driving habits, living and work situations, etc. Usually home charging or workplace charging are the best because those are places where your car is going to sit around for hours and you don't have to explicitly go somewhere to charge. You indicated you won't be charging at home, but people who can figure out a way to make that happen generally find that it makes for the best EV ownership experience. Sometimes it's easier than people think.

If I couldn't charge at home or at work, I'd probably use some nearby Tesla Supercharger; the closest ones to us are in Walnut Creek, Concord, San Ramon, and Emeryville. There are some non-Tesla chargers in Lafayette, but there are fewer of them, and they're generally slower than the Superchargers. The Tesla findus page (www.tesla.com/findus) can help you find Tesla-branded chargers such as Superchargers, and if you check on the Plugshare Web site / app, that will also find other chargers for all EVs (I'm thinking of the ones on the side of Whole Foods, or Mt. Diablo at Risa Rd.).

Hope that helps, don't hesitate to ask if you have other questions or you'd like to do a deeper dive into any part of this.

Cheers!

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

Tesla seems to be a Lafayette favorite driving through downtown.

I'm renting an old place right now that requires significant electrical upgrades before I can charge from home. Unfortunately, the landlord won't help with the cost. I don't know anything about electrical work but am guessing it will cost a couple thousand to have the work done which is too high of an amount for me to spend on a rental.

I will probably charge weekly but want to limit frequency of Supercharging since I have read Tesla will throttle supercharging speeds after a high number of fast charges. I live walking distance to and will probably charge at one of the 5kW EV stations in town most weeks. Hoping Tesla does not consider 5kW as "fast charging" that will result in throttling supercharging speeds.

Many thanks for the tips. Have a Merry Christmas!