Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Groaning sound when turning + slowing under regen braking low speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You give me hope.

The turn shown in the video is particularly bad. Unfortunately, I have to take this turn every time I leave my appartment.
It's pathetically loud for a car in the six-figure range.

The whole car is a disappointment for six-figures. That's why Tesla is desperately looking for ways to drop the price, such massive price drops, massive discounts on inventory cars, and the new $10K lower Standard Range model. Buyers have figured out this is not a 6-figure car despite the performance.

I just noticed that if you switch off recuperation (track mode → 5%), the noise disappears almost completely. Even when the mechanical brake is applied.

Tesla told me that the tyres still have to be run in. After 500 km...
This rules out the tyres, as the force is applied to the wheel at the same point.

I was assured that the mechanic had looked at the problem carefully. It can't have been that precise.

Hello everyone, just took delivery of 2024 MYP not too long ago. I have the same groaning noise issue when fully turning left or right in slow speed and regen braking. Is this now considered normal and usually go away after break in period?

Hello everyone, just took delivery of 2024 MYP not too long ago. I have the same groaning noise issue when fully turning left or right in slow speed and regen braking. Is this now considered normal and usually go away after break in period?
I want to say after 2 years with my M3P, I don’t notice it anymore. Maybe it has broken in along with fact that I am not listening closely to it anymore. I think if there was a real issue, a major noticeable problem would have happenened by now.

i am wondering if all these low speed groaning-while-turning sounds might not be due to the differential effect. the car is pulsing the brakes to compensate for speed differences across the axles or the tires and/or the tires are skittering across the surface and/or the load is going back into the suspension joints. (im clearly very much spitballing here)

if you can consistently reproduce the sound, then a thing to test would be to turn on track mode and toggle through the settings (power distribution, stability assist, regen, etc) or try to do it on a different surface

i am wondering if all these low speed groaning-while-turning sounds might not be due to the differential effect. the car is pulsing the brakes to compensate for speed differences across the axles or the tires and/or the tires are skittering across the surface and/or the load is going back into the suspension joints. (im clearly very much spitballing here)

if you can consistently reproduce the sound, then a thing to test would be to turn on track mode and toggle through the settings (power distribution, stability assist, regen, etc) or try to do it on a different surface
Good point on disabling brake blend at low speeds through track mode to test theory. That might be why I haven’t noticed the sound anymore as my brakes may have bedded themselves in since when I first heard this when car and brakes were new.

i occasionally have this light groaning/shuddering on my YP, which ive never had with the 3P, but unfortunately its extremely difficult to pin down.

it *seems* to be most coincident after rain, which indicates some rotor rust and caliper sticking... but ive experienced that when it was more acute and it sounded/felt a bit different.

yesterday during rainy week it reproduced more easily -- groaning increasing with turn radius, both on decel and accel at low speeds. turning off regen didnt do anything. it seemed to go away if i put the drive balance to RWD mode. i cant be certain because its not perfectly reproduceable.

i occasionally have this light groaning/shuddering on my YP, which ive never had with the 3P, but unfortunately its extremely difficult to pin down.

it *seems* to be most coincident after rain, which indicates some rotor rust and caliper sticking... but ive experienced that when it was more acute and it sounded/felt a bit different.

yesterday during rainy week it reproduced more easily -- groaning increasing with turn radius, both on decel and accel at low speeds. turning off regen didnt do anything. it seemed to go away if i put the drive balance to RWD mode. i cant be certain because its not perfectly reproduceable.
for me atleast, i now highly suspect a big part of above was due to the brakes. when driving at low speeds, the car blends friction brakes with the regen, and the light braking application causes the noise.

when using the brake pedals manually with low brake pressures, it would make a loud juddering/skipping type noise (but not sensation). possibly bad interfacing between pad and rotors. i ran the brake burnishing sequence to bed new pad material on the rotors, and that noise went away. with it, the noise at low speed also went away.

Reactions: DownshiftDre